Gastroenterology Community
High Lipase

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

High Lipase

My son is 11 after being sick and diagnosed with Glandular Fever with abodminal pain for approx 12 weeks, he ended up in hospital, he's been in hospital for 6 weeks with a lipase level of 3000 at it's highest, diagnosed and treated for pancreatitus (pancreatitis).  He's lost 12 kilo's and weighs 25.5 kilo's. He is out of hospital and he isn't coping with food and still has terrible stomach pains we are doing further tests to check ie colonoscopy & mri of the bowels but the doctors don't seem to know what's wrong with him .  Can anyone help please  we've just had another night of Hell!!
Have they checked his gallbladder? And have they tested him for autoimmune pancreatitis? If not, both should be done.  

In the meantime, he probably should be following a pancreatitis diet and taking supplemental enzymes to try to 'assist' with ''sick' pancreas.
They have done MRI and ultra sounds focusing on the pancreas and checking gall bladder etc but they were clear other than extensive fluid showing in the bowels. He is on a low fat diet and is taking enzymes but they don't appear tobe working he is still having severe pain.  We've tried to pin it to specific foods but for sure it is always the worse after his evening meal.  If we don't bring the pain down it stays underneath and flares up which makes it even worse to control.  he's 11and panics a bit understandably but we do use breathing techniques to try and keep him calm.
Can you switch his evening meal to something he can eat at other times without any major issues? Or have you tried that already?

Has he been checked for autoimmune pancreatitis?
I'm not sure what autoimmune pancreatitus (pancreatitis) is?  None of his tests showed anything other than the high lipase levels.
We have tried changing the bigger meal around, but to be honest it's not a big meal he has we try and keep him snacking as much as possible through the day.
Try this from Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.org/autoimmune-pancreatitis/
thanks for your help with this, my son was readmitted back to hospital last night his pain isn't manageable at home.  he's booked for MRI and colonoscopy they are looking into inflamitory bowel syndrome or something similar.  His lipase are steady now at 180 so that are now looking elsewhere instead of focusing soley on the pancreas.  I ididn't get to view the forum you mentioned was there anything new?