Gastroenterology Community
High base count on glucose hydrogen breath test

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Has anyone else had a glucose hydrogen breath test to see if they had SIBO? Did you have a high base count to start off? I had one yesterday and the nurse asked me if I followed the fasting (which I did and was actually VERY strict on it as this is the 14th test I have had done for undiagnosed digestive issues) because my base count was high. She gave me mouth wash and had me do it again and it was still high. She told me that over the 2 hours of the comparison testing after I drank the glucose that it did peak some after that as well but that since my base was so high to begin with I will have to wait till my GI doctor is back in the office to discuss (he is on vacation for 2 weeks). Just curious if this has happened to anyone else and what the outcome was.
Tags: glucose, test, breath, Digestive, base count, hydrogen breath test, sibo, Bacterial Overgrowth
Yes I've had this test but I don't believe I had a high base count to start off.  Do you have any symptoms of slow stomach emptying (that could give results as though you hadn't been fasting properly)?
Actually I have a tortuous colon and one doctor things I have colonic inertia. Does this mean the results will not be right? The nurse said it did peak some after I took the sugary drink they give you.
No, those conditions wouldn't affect this.
my test results are in and I do have SIBO.. they are going to try to put me on Rifaximin if my insurance will cover it. Have you taken this?? Did it help. I am reading I should take a stronger probiotic while I am on it.
I believe I was on it at one point, but it wasn't for SIBO.  When I had SIBO, I took Flagyl.  Yes, it would be a good idea to take a probiotic to help.  I hope this clears up soon!
I have been on it for 1 week.

Have you seen any changes in your symptoms yet?
Not really... he did tell me my methane was very high in my tests. I feel the same way I did when my diet changed..