Gastroenterology Community
Hip Pain after colonoscopy/gall bladder surgery

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

About 5 days after by colonoscopy, I started having an acute pain in my right hip that sometimes travels down the front of my thigh. It eases up a bit if I move around. I cannot sleep on my right side, and it wakes me up at night. This pain has been going on a week now.

The colonoscopy found 2 benign polyps. At the same time I had an endoscopy and had my diseased gallbladder removed. When the pain first started I thought it might be the CO2 migrating around from the gallbladder removal since I had a similar acute pain in my shoulder the first day after the surgery which was explained as being due to the CO2. But after nearly 2 weeks post surgery the CO2 should be fully absorbed.

I have no chills or fever - just the constant hip pain.

What could be causing this pain?

Thank you,

ditto.  My colonoscopy procedure was 4 days ago and I went in for right side pain, but now, after the colonoscopy, it has migrated into my right hip and down my thigh too and into my back.  The colonoscopy found colitis cells in another area.  I started to feel the pain there during the whole bowel prep, but after the procedure it now hurts even more.

It seems I'm not the only one, what is causing this pain?
Went for the gallbladder post op checkup yesterday. The Dr says the pain is not related to the surgery or the colonoscopy. He says it is probably a disk bulge. He gave me a prescription for prednisone. After just one dose the pain is a lot less. I have about decided my pain is caused by "periformis syndrome." That is a muscle in your hip, through which the sciatic nerve passes, that can swell up and press on the nerve causing pain down the front of the thigh and into the knee. Athletes get this from overwork, but in my case it is probably either from a too much inactivity or from too much walking after the surgery when I was trying to get the CO2 to dissapate.

Hope this helps.
Happened exactly the same to me.

Had colonoscopy and during procedure two benign polyps were removed.
2 or third night after colonoscopy started to have muscle pain in my left leg when sleeping at night. Could not sleep more than 2 hours. Within few days pain moved to the hip. It has been 4 months already. I can not walk. Doctor did not make any connection between hip and colonoscopy. Is there some connection that can trigger it? It seems that some muscles in my butt are not working.
The evening after my colonscopy (3 weeks ago), I started noticing pain in my left hip (unlike the right hip for all of you). It is not a constant pain, rather periodical, but I do notice is more when I'm sleeping, and moving around does help some.  I was lying on my left side when they administered the "twilight" anesthesia, so I assume I remained on my left side during the procedure.  There were no abnormalities found, except several diverticula.  I have not gone to a doctor yet... I was trying to get information on my own first.  Even though several of your doctors claim that there is no connection between the hip pain and colonoscopy, I do wonder, since it seems to be a common post colonoscopy sympton. I will see my Gyn tomorrow and will ask how to proceed, to figure out the cause and cure, and will post whatever i find out.
I had a colonoscopy two weeks ago, several polups were removed. I have had severe pain in my right hip and thigh ever since... I cannot find any answers to what the conection could be. I can't find a doctor's answer to this question.  I sympathise with you. wish I could find some answers.
Ronmac
Hi, I am experiencing exactly the same symtoms (symptoms),
is there a recent update, have you had any other medical advice?

regards,
Len
I had a colonoscopy yesterday and felt fine.  Now, several hours into the day my hip joints, knees, and thighs are hurting me.  I was sedated with Propofol.  I hope this pain isn't here to stay.
I had a colonoscopy 2 days ago., biopsies were taken, i haven't gotten the results back, (get them next week) within hours after I was released and I was fully awake, I felt something that felt like a "CHARLIE HORSE" in my right groin. It has gotten worse. I am wondering, during the procedure if my right leg was raised into a position where a muscle was strained. This is getting my attention for sure.  I certainly will be talking with the gastroenterologist next week in regards to this.. This is my only complaint,
I had a colonoscopy three days ago and experiencing terrible pain in my right hip and down my upper thigh. Why?