Gastroenterology Community
Horrible malodorous flatulence smell, even if I'm not farting?!

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

This problem is ruining my life. My fart stinks like omg, and when I am not farting, I release gases involuntarily which smells like fart/poop/sewage.

I am a student, male, 16, who discovered this problem about half a year ago. I fart many times a day and very often. Worse, I smell like I continously release sewage gas from my anus, even though I do not have any feeling of farting. The smell is really horrible and since I am not able to sense that I'm farting (during the period of involuntary flatus leakage/discharge/emission), I really do question whether the smell came from my rectum or not. Contracting my anal muscles to keep the gas from coming out do not really help, and often makes it worse.

Personally, I find the smell hard to bear with. And if that is the case for me, I am sure it will be worse for others. Those around me even use their fingers to cover their noses, and they often breathe in and exhale deeply and uncomfortably which makes me really guilty that I'm causing them to suffer. Many people cough when they sit with me as well. I do feel apologetic deep in my heart, but I can only pretend as if nothing has happened, although my peers have already identified me as the stink bomb.

The problem started half a year ago, and it went away for about 2-3 months. It resurfaced once again this few weeks. I have been unable to identify the exact cause of the problem, but having researched on flatulence issues, it could be one of the following:

- Diet (include excessive sulfur-containing food intake, food intolerance, food allergies)
- Bacterial imbalance
- Physically damaged anus which causes gas discharge

Observations:
- The problem is worst when I am at school
- My feces stink as well

I worry much more about the foul smell of my flatus than its quantity, since the horrible smell caused much inconvenience and annoyance to others. I really want to get rid of the problem and know the reason why it is occurring. When I'm out, I cannot concentrate on the things I am doing. People are avoiding me, and I am also avoiding them to prevent them from suffering. I don't know what to do and I am emotionally depressed because I think that my problem is worse than a disability, in that it affects others with my malodorous flatuence and involuntary discharge.

I have read several posts on the site related to my problem and there are a few people who have the same problem as me. I hope that I will soon find a cure for my problem so that I can have a social life again. Best of luck to those with the same problem as me too.
Have you tried eliminating things in your diet? they also have colon cleansing products that you could look into. there are certain foods that could make you do that but there are also foods that would clean your system out and might eliminate your problem. I think we all have had the sewege smell at one time or another and it usually comes from what we eat. I personally like to torture my kids with it but all joking aside, you should look into the colon cleansing products or foods.
If you're experiencing fecal material and gas that smells like 'something died,' it's important you be tested. That odor is characteristic of a condition caused by Clostridium difficle - a particularly deleterious bacterium. Please check with your doc about doing some stool samples to rule out that condition. If it is present, it needs to be treated in a very specific manner. Diet will not affect the condition. This bacterium can also produce toxins that can cause damage to the intestinal tract, so it needs to be specifically treated and gotten rid of.
I can imagine how embarrassing that can be.  I too, am gassy but am much older than you.  Why not try taking lactobacillus capsules that can be found at the health food store?  They are a probiotic (similar to yogurt) and get your gut flora back to it's normal state.  The recommended amount is 50 billion cultures per capsule.  There are many brands - ask the person at the store which would be best for you.  These are also good for people with irritable bowel syndrome - it heals the bowel and enables a better stool.  Give it a try.

From:  a Canadian Registered Nurse
I think I know your problem. I too have been dealing with the same thing. My gas has smelt the same for almost 2 years now despite diet changes. I saw my doctor about this. I have horrible tummy pains, bloating, rumbling -like hunger sounds - when I start eating, not when I am needing to eat. Anyways, I could share more about my situation but my doctor gave me something solid to check in to. GLUTEN intolerance. Look up the symptoms. I bet you will see much that fits. I also drink lots of soda for the empty calories to keep my weight up. Here is a link to see if this may be something you should follow up on.
http://gluten-intolerance-symptoms.com/#gluten-intolerance-3
Good luck.
My name is Joshua, I am 15 and am attending high school as a sophomore. I developed this problem this school year after noticing a constant farting smell during class. At first I denied it was me and thought it was somebody else around me until I didn't attend school one day and noticed the smell still lingering around me. I have been researching on this uncontrollable flatulence problem for quite some time now and have seen many ideas that I am willing to take into consideration.

The farts that surround me are not extremely foul smelling but are indeed noticeable, and it frightens me thinking that they could develop and become rancorous. I want to rid of this problem as soon as possible but there is nothing I can do about it. I spoke to my father about the problem and he told me it was my diet. So I started taking "crap" foods out of my diet, starting with candy, soda, and any sugars that can do harm to my body. I researched it some more and thought the problem was me developing Lactose Intolerance. So I took lactose products out of my diet as well (Which was very hard for me due to being a huge milk fan). As I noticed that the stench was still around I consulted my father furthermore and he said just stay on the diet a little more and if it is still there we will go to the doctors.

If anybody has any advice for me that would be wonderful. I am praying that I dont have IBM or IBD or any other harmful disease. I will keep you updated on what is happening with my problem and see if anything is helping.
-Josh
i also have this horrible problem, im 19 yrs old, cant put my finger on the causes, but it started while im taking accutane for my acne..... im embarrassed  of the way i make people who sit next to me suffer during each class. and im sick of sitting as far as possible from any one i know...  please help me i need ideas to stop this nightmare.
hi there..i have the same problem..except mine is a smell of ******** (or some weird kind of **** odor) i have no idea what caused it..at first i smelled a sweet fishy odor for maybe 3 months..cant really recall..but it transitioned into a smell of a moose...then ********...then dog ****..then back to ********...it's been a year now i'd had this problem..i dont think its the novo virus..maybe its and issue with muscle strengthe in the anus and possible shift of my tailbone affecting the anus muscles causeing the smell to leak...but WHY does the smell spread for about a block in my neighbor hood..im a sharp guy..and i'v noticed quite a few people with it...some are like skunks that you do not want to be behind..they emit a strong putrid odor that sprays form behind them when they bend over...and others like me..give off a light smell that reaches far...mine is extremely light..and can actually be appealing..but the smell can go for a mile..literally..i kid you not..it's a bizarre phenomenom..and i dont know what to do...i would hate to have a doctor anal probe me..because i'm homo-phobic..if anyone has and interesting imputon facts or oppinions on what they think it is..plz sign up and post a reply..ty fyi i am not sure if it was from contaminated water, a hand shake..or contaminated food..but this truelly is bizarre..the range of which this smell can go will make you question sanity and physics of smell
i feel so bad for you.but i do understand. he same exact age it happened to me.life was a nightmare . maybe we could share info .
I am a 17 yr old girl and I noticed this problem at the beginning of this school year. I don't understand it at all... I was in my biology class and all of a sudden I smell a feces/fart like odor, even though I literally don't feel like I farted. In fact, I thought it was the guy next to me that farted the first time it happened. I only realized it was me after it happened a few more times in the same class (which is in the morning).
It's horrible... there's no sound or even feeling, but then the stink comes like out of nowhere. Also, I went to a foreign country this summer and had SEVERE constipation and diarrhea. I'm thinking that maybe this is why it started.
It's so embarrassing  b/c it travels so far. So far it's only happened to me in this class but I'm afraid it'll start happening in other classes.
i am having something similar, but have no idea if it is in my head.  for some reason i smell it most at school as well (i am in college) and it seems to linger in my nose (?).  it's been happening for about three weeks now and have no idea if other people can smell it, they don't seem to stay away, but i am finding myself trying to keep distance while having a conversation or the like.  i have had issues with flatulence but do hold the gas in until i am in private (I've always wondered if that was extremely unhealthy.. i just don't like being rude), but maybe it's bad breath? I really don't want to have intestinal issues.  I do have a back injury- the top half of my spine is shifted forward, leaving a much smaller opening for the nerves to slide up and down, from how my physical therapist puts it- my nerves are extremely tight and some pinched.

this constant waft of foulness that poofs up into my nose became worrisome after about the third day, i started wondering "WTF why do i smell farts wherever i go? i am not farting".. at first i thought maybe it was something in the vent system on campus- but i smell at my home now too, like when i am sitting on the couch or standing in the kitchen. i started worrying that maybe i have something rotting inside, or maybe a sinus infection.

so i have started doing research- and these links looked most promising (especially since i do have an injury causing nerve issues- but damage to the vagus nerve doesn't have to be caused by some big injury from what i understand)

http://www.newhealthguide.org/Vagus-Nerve.html
   -discusses: 5. Peptic Ulcer and 6. Gastroparesis

what if the smell is actually coming from rotting/fermenting foods in the stomach? i remember when i was i kid we would go visit one of my mother's clients who's stomach DID NOT WORK and he was supposed to ingest food directly into his intestines bypassing his stomach. he really missed eating and sometimes would sneak solid food. well, with a non-functioning stomach the food would sit there and start to rot and ferment which caused the amazingly disgusting smell- it would fill the house.

Don't take accutane . It damages your liver  and kidneys. It's poison!
Hey,
Reading you guys is a big relief since i suffer from the same problem since im 14 years old (i now am 23). I cant give you any solution as i still suffer from it, but here's a few things :

- "Junk" food makes it worse. It got better since i eat balanced food (like 1/3 meat 1/3 vegetables 1/3 carbs). ESPECIALLY avoid fried food, it makes it terrible.
- Psychology seem to be a part of it, since it only happens when im stressed (mostly at school, but it happened at social events).
- I try to drink 2 liters of water a day. One before lunch, and one after.
- It seems to be related to the presence of feces in the rectum. I drink a coffee in the morning and one directly after lunch so that it makes me poop, and reduces the "accidents".

To sum all this up, i'd say its constipation and stress related, with a loss of sensitivity in the rectum (god knows why). So try to eat vegetables and drink enough water to avoid constipation.
Go to the toilets on a regular basis : be late is better than spreading a corpse smell. Sometimes i dont feel that need in my rectum but i feel pain in the lower guts (if you do too, go to the toilet).
Avoid stressful situations as much as possible, or if you cant, try to concentrate and relax.

I sincerely hope we'll get out of this.

P.S : weird thing is that farts that i "feel" do almost never smell like that, and more important "disapear" really faster. Sometimes it happens and that stench follows me for a 100 meters. So i'd just like to know if its the same for you guys.
Are you now recovered of this?
Eating glutin free food helped you?
I developed this problem after suddenly changing my diet and exercise routeen. I switched from terrable eating habits to a paleo palette. Then, suddenly, I had everything you describe; sulfur smelling gas that not only wreaked, but lingered to the point where clothes and rooms would retain the smell for days. It was terrible. However, I had a few other symptoms too that pointed me in the right direction. The problem - poor amount of digestive enzymes and insufficient fiber intake. My body couldn't handle the new, complex foods I was giving it, even though they were healthy. Now, every morning, I have a breakfast shake with two heaping scoops of plain, powdered fiber, a colon probiotic and an enzym supplement. The very first day, the gas diminished to almost nothing (and I was tooting every five minutes, even at night). My stomach felt better, the abdominal pain went away and it got better every day afterward. You can get all the supplements and fiber at the Vitamin Shoppe.
could you also give us the brand names for all that you've tried and it worked?
i have the same problem i'm now 17 year old girl and this is destroying my social life as i don't want to embarrass myself i just avoid all situations like going to school and meeting friends. i don't have lactose intolerance neither gluten intolerance as i have been tested for those due to this horrible situation. if anyone has any tips to get rid off this i would appreciate them all! i have also noticed that this has something to do with stress. but it also occurs when i am relaxed, just less often.  
google IBS irritable bowel syndrome. you might have it it's not dangerous :) but it's 's not pleasant :( hope this helps!
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers