Gastroenterology Community
How long can you take Prilosec

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

How long can you take Prilosec

I've taken it daily for the past three years. I've read somewhere on the internet that you can't take it for that long at a time; it may cause fundic polyps of the stomach (which I recently had removed during an endoscopy). However my gastro doc claims that it's completely safe to use indefinitely.

What is your experience with Prilosec, and do you think it's safe to use indefinitely for GERD?
Purportedly, you can take them for extended periods of time. However, there are people who do develop polyps, so monitoring is a must. Other drawbacks are they can cause a change in gallbladder function, and in some because of the reduction of acid and intrinsic factor, B12 deficiency can result.

So 'completely safe' is relative................
Thanks for the answer. Regarding the "change in gall bladder function", I just had mine removed last week, so I guess I don't have to worry about THAT any more! I went to see gastro doc yesterday who told me that the small amount of Barrett's esophagus I have is "nothing to worry about". When I asked him if I would be rechecked with an endoscopy again in the future, he said yes, in a couple of years, but sooner if I had any problems.

Best of health to you and every person reading this!
I just had this thought and would like to pose this question to you : Prilosec is considered a PPI drug isn't it? Do you happen to know if other drugs in this class carry the same risks as Prilosec does?
hi there I have a question I am on prilosec to treat an ulcer and I have been having horrible back pain and chest pain since taking it . have you experienced anything like this ?
Prilosec is a PPI, just like Nexium, Aciphex, Prevacid, etc. The side effects CalGal mentioned are common to all PPIs. Individually, due to their composition, each carries other side effects which may or may not be shared by others in the class.
What is the latest on your Barrett's Esophasgus?
I have no idea! My gastro-internist left the area to practice elsewhwere and I never went back to have it checked.

I continue to take the prilosec. I haven't had any kind of stomach problems or pains. My limited understanding of Barett's is that it is caused or worsened by acid reflux and I haven't had any of that.

Do you have a similar problem?
Just to add to yesterday's reply to your question. Your question got me to thinking. I wrote a letter to the gastro-doc who took over for mine who took his practice out of the area.I asked if they still had my records from the endoscopy, briefly explained that I had had stomach polyps and a "slight" amount of Barretts and asked if it would be time for a recheck.

I think whether they have the records or not, they'll contact me and maybe want to check.

It's been 4 years now, and I had forgotten all about it. Thanks for reminding me!