Gastroenterology Community
How long for omeprazole 20mg (gastro-resistant capsule) to start workin...

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

How long for omeprazole 20mg (gastro-resistant capsule) to start working

I have been prescribed OMEPRAZOLE 20 mg capsule for my gastro problem, i.e keep burping and discomfort in sternum and around side and back, also constant bloating. I am on my third day and the burping is slowly disappearing and also the discomfort in my sternum has gone.  I am so so so so happy.

But I was wonderig how long for it to work completely as I am only on my third day and have been told to take the whole 28 days worth.  I would appreciate any advice.  Many thanks

Every human body reacts differently to medication. I have tried prilosec (omeprazole) but to me it is very slow. Usually you will see max results by the end of the month. I personnally like prevacid and nexium (30mg) . They are fast and help repair any erosion in the esophagus. They are the same as prilosec but are more expensive and are sold with prescription only but they are worth it. They too have to be taken for 15 -28 days. Just be patient and remember that nervousness , anxiety and stress increase gastro problems. I'm like that and the doc gave me Mutabon D which helps calm  down your anxiety etc.
Thanks so much.  I will last out the 28 days and then see what happens then.  Is bloatedness a sympton too, its right under my breasts sometimes but always in the sternum area.  My stomach is very soft.  Since takin Omeprazole the burping has eased quite a bit and also the discomfort in my sternum has eased, still there but not as uncomfortable, its only day 6 of taking the tablets so maybe i am expecting too much too soon. .  Its just this damn bloating.  Never knew bloating could get you down so much.  I have had this since May.  You are also right about the anxiety and stress.  I have alot of anxieties in my life and my mum said i was a born worrier so maybe that does not help. write back soon.  xxx
Hi!
How did you get on with this? I have some but am reluctant to take it for fear that it will make my IBD worse. I took ranitidine before and was so ill that I nearly had to go back on steroids. My bowel is better but I am determined not to take any more pills that will upset my insides. However, I can't tolerate this indigestion every day either.
I have just been prescribed omeprazole for my occasional problem - a severe pain behind the breastbone - like a knife being twisted.  It's not associated, when it happens, with the usual indigestion symptoms, although I do get a lot od indegestion. Don't know the cause (although stress is definitely a factor) and nothing I've tried yet stops the pain when an attack occurs. The attacks usually last for hours until I've woken up the next day.  Does the treatment actually do anything for the pain when an attack occurs or is it only effective in the long term? - was prescribed ranitidine before but it was completely ineffective.
Would appreciate any comments.  
hi all, i have recently been perscribed omeprazole capsules too as i have been in alot of discomfort and as im sure you are too, im getting abit impatient, i was wondering do any of you know of any foods that i could try eating or cutting out that could ease my discomfort and bloatedness in the meantime?? any suggestions wuld be greatly appreciated.

oh and penred i am afraid the capsules are for a more long term cure but i do hope you can find a more imediate relief, when you do, please let us know!
I've used 20 mg Prilosec on a daily basis for 4 or 5 years. If I forget to take a pill I may feel the affects the next day. If I take a pill as soon as I sense the acid then it subsides with in an hour or two. I just found out today that generic omeprazole is available so I am happy.

good luck
Thanks for that, I was slighty worried that taking these tablets will damage me eventually but now i know I can take them for as long as I feel that I need to I am not as worried. I have been taking the tablets for a week now and am begining to feel better but like billie-ray i cant get rid of this bloated feeling, have you any ideas how long it will last for?

Thanks again for your help
i have been given 28 omeprazole gastro capsules take 1 daily i have been told to stop takin anadin extra asprin nurofen as they r all known facts to take the lining of your stomach i only take anadin extra when i have a headache they r the only thing that take my headache away dont know wot to take now parecetomol dosent seem to work for me
Is anyone having bowel symptoms [sotmach stuff] along with terrible acid reflux--in throat---yuk--and does omeprazole help---and with bowel stuff???  What is best time of day to take--and with or without food?
thanks
i have been having burning in my left breast on the breast wall and somtimes in my back does anyone know what it could be the doctor gave me omeprazone 20 mg  it just be so uncomfortable like it like iam on fire in my breast
i have been having burning in my left breast like on the breast wall the doctor had pescibe me with omeprazole some times in the back like right in the middle of the bbreast is it acid reflex or a disgestive system problem he set me appointmemt to get that thing in my stomach were they take picture of my stomach  thank you
I had my gallbladder out last year.  Twice this year I have woken a few hours after going to bed with incredible stomach pain and bloating that was very similar to the gallbladder pain, accompanied by a killer headache.  I was lucky enough that my doctors office has a nurse on call program.  When I spoke with the nurse she said I needed to try and calm down and quit fidgeting.  I told her I had been trying all kinds of different positions to make the pain lesson.  She said lie quietly propped up on pillows.  Take a liquid antacid like Mallox, or chew some tums.  Take small sips of water and an OTC medicine to calm the acid, then get into the doctor.  Her advice really helped.  Since that time the doctor has put me on Prilosec 20 mg TWICE a day to get the healing under way.  If I forget to take it, and eat poorly, drink alcohol, etc... the pain comes back with a vengence, and I am back to breathing deaply and hoping the mallox kicks in quick.  The prilosec I am on is time released, so it is a "quick fix" for those painful awakenings.  Rather it is a long term medication that I may need forever given my current life style of high stress and poor diet.  I think continuing to see your doctor and having the test done is great.  As other posters indicate, there are other drugs that will help heal the esophogus if that is what you need, and it seems the only way to find out for sure is to have the tests.
The information about Omeprazole seems to be that you may need 40mg initially to get things under control quickly if symptoms are severe, then drop back to 20mg once symptoms have eased.

I even have heard the suggestion that perhaps as a long term maintenance dose 10mg may be sufficient but only once symptoms are in good control.
i am goin to start taking the omeprazole 20 mg twice a day today and  see how it works but i want to know should i take  it with food or no food ? imma try and see thanks
I had gallbladder out and ERCP on 10/28/08. Developed burning in stomach/chest, etc. First was on Pepcid which stopped working after 2 weeks, then onto Prilosec for a week which did nothing, now I'm on Prevacid 30mg for the past 2 weeks and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. In fact I feel worse. I will see dr in 2 days, but don't know what to ask for. More tests? Did they miss a gallstone? Do I need a different med - like Nexium or aciphex? I was told it may take a few months for these to work, but I'm getting horribly depressed and scared something is terribly wrong.
Any insite would be helpful.
I been having bloating problems since Dec 08, they found h pylori and i had to take prevpac for 2 weeks. I still feel bloated and my endoscopy came back negative. I started taking prilosec 2 days ago but what should I eat to avoid getting bloated. This makes me feel awful and I hate it.

please help!!!
I was recently prescribed omeprazole 20mg for 12 days after experiencing a painful, to say the least very discomfortable battle with food poising. I am not really sure what this medication is suppose to do, nevertheless, the dirrahia has stopped, thus, I am having headaches. Could it be a reaction to this medication? I have 5 days in not sure if I want to complete the remaining 7days at one pill a day.
I can't swallow food, liquid nor solid's, feels like my food get's stuck in my throat and the liquid felt as if I was getting strangled I lost 16 pounds in 2 weeks.First I had the barium estrogram done nothing showed up. Went to the ENT and he stuck a camera through my nose and said he didn't see nothing wrong. So he is treating me as if it's acid reflux put me on omeprazole 20 mg 2 capsule once a day I took them once so far But I still can't eat, I am drinking water but it still feels as if I am going to get strangled. I have to go have a CT done with the contrast June 17 09 Maybe by then the pills will kick in enough so I can atleast eat a meal soon.
Hi Sissy:

I had the same symptoms that you are having and was rushed to emergency on Friday.  They thought it was an allergic reaction to juice I drank so they gave me prednisone and Benadryl which did not work.  I still had the choking feeling in my throat, which stressed me out and spirled me into a panic attack which I have never had. I kept grasping for air, felt like hands were wrapped around my neck and I could not breathe or swallow. I went to the E.R. again and they did a stress test to make sure it was not my heart, then they did a lung test, they did blood work and then an upper G.I. You want to rule out any type of heart condition and any type of blood clot which is can kill you. I requested a D Dimer blood test among the many that they took and that came out negative. That test helps to determne if there are blood clots in your body. As far as I know, the heart, the lungs and the esophgeal can give the feeling of choking or not being able to swallow.  For now it looks like I have swelling of the esophogeal and I will take a pill and cut acidic foods until I heal. They also gave me anti-anxiety medication just in case I panic because my throat closes. Knowing that you have that in itself helps you stay in control. Ask and even demand for tests to be taken.  I didn't leave E.R. until they found the cause.  

I hope this helps.

Sonia
WOW i didnt realise there were as many people who had the same problem as i do!

I have been to many different doctors who cant give me a definate answer. I take Lansoprazole 30mg twice a day and metochlopromide  (unsure of spelling) to try to control my reflux. Its not working.

I get intense chest pain, difficulty breathing, palpitations, rapid heartbeat (especially after eating), difficulty swallowing, choking feeling, bloating, constipation and back pain,

Like you sonia i am not long away from A&E. I got a chest x-ray, CT scan, blood tests, ecg the works and they all came back non conclusive. I have had an endoscopy which showed i have a hiatus hernia, but thats it.

Why is there not more research done on this condition??  As it causes lots of people alot of pain!

Thanks Cas
I have just found research that in women who have unexpected choking feelings or rapid heartbeat out of the blue can be attributed to either an imbalance in hormones, too much estrogen, not enough progesterin or low levels of seratonin and sometimes this is misdiagnosed and we are lead to believe that we have acid reflux because of the trouble swollowing or the feeling of choking. Progesterin has calming effects and if they are low, they can bring on an unexpected panic attack that can be confused with other disorders. It can't hurt to check hormonal levels checked.
I've been taking Omerprazole 20MG now for the past 2 weeks. Ive been finding my mouth very sore and dry and its also burning . I just researched the drug and it has a little of the sulfer drug in it.. I am allergic a little to sulfer.. I am wondering is that why my mouth is sore?? and if i should stop taking the drug???
HELLO EVERYBODY I AM NOT HAVING GOOD TIME WITH THIS STOMACH INFECTION, ACID EVERYWHERE AND IT IS CAUSING ME PAIN ON MY BACK, SICKNESS AND DIZZINESS, I AM IN MY FIRST DAY OF HOMEPRAZOLE AND I GOT WORSE WITH THIS MEDICINE TODAY, DO YOU THINK IT IS BECAUSE IS MY FIRST DAY ON IT?? PLEASE HELP, ITS HORRIBLE SENSATION  
Like many of you, I had my gall bladder removed and that's when stomach acid started to give me problems.  Occasionally, I would wake up choking on vomit due to excess acid - which belive me is really frightening.  I was initially prescribed Nexium 40mg., and for several months I was acid free and had no side effects.  A year later I had an appendix burst while I was working in the Middle East and peritonitis which nearly killed me but for the quick action of a Syrian surgeon who opened my abdomen and flushed out all the pus.  The infection had spread to my colon and later when I was back in the UK, resulted in the removal of 15" of bowel.  Fortunately, my brilliantly skillful surgeon managed to make a good join so I did not have to have a colostomy.  However, a year later, I began to get constipated and bloated and began to pass what I can only describe as yellow mustard, which felt like my backside was on fire! This is bile passing straight through and so I went back to Nexium.  Again it held the acid back for a few months but I began to get bloated and constipated together with a general feeling of being extremely unwell.  I read on the net about some alternative methods of relieving acid, invoving changing dietry practices, eating apples and drinking a glass of water after each meal.  Strangely enough that works if you can bother to keep it up.  Unfortunately I lapsed and I was soon waking up choking on acid vomit.  Nasty!  I now take omeprazole gastro resistant 20 mg.  This has cleared the bloating and reflux.  However, if I eat bread or any other wheat based foods, I get bloated.  I know that I have had a lot of surgery and that I cannot extect things to be the same as before.  It is likely that I will be taking omeprazole for life, but if it keeps working, then so be it.  Other sufferers should try the dietry reflux remedies - especially if you like apples.  That was my problem - I can't stand them!  You have to pay for the booklet but the advice he gives across the whole subject of reflux is worth knowing.  
has any one here noticed that there troat didnt only feel like food was getting caught but also horseness in your voice? i just started taking omeprazole after going to the dr. complaining that i feel that my throat feels like somthings stuck and i have been having horseness in my voice. its really frusterating... any suggustions?? thnx
Just to warn you all that some people (me being one of them) experience severe side effects to Omeprazole that are not listed in package inserts or drug info that the pharamacy gives you with your perscription. Check out askapatient.com and search for omeprazole or prilosec. I was taking 40mg omeprazole for almost 3 weeks and it caused severe anxiety, chest pain, dizziness, tight feeling in my throat, arm and leg weakness, abdominal pain, insomnia, and high BP.I thought I was dying. I stopped taking the omeprazole and after 2 weeks started to feel better but I am not completely symptom free yet. Ask your doctor to try the 10 mg dose first or ask about other options for acid reflux.
You are absolutely correct about the problems that can come with this medication.
My wife was taking it and has no problems at all. I was prescribed Omeprazole by my doctor as a precaution when taking an anti-inflammatory for damage in my rotator cuff.
Shortly after begin both meds, I began getting intense stomach pain. I called my doc thinking it was the anti-inflammatory drug, which he agreed. He told me to stop that and continue with the Omeprazole to help heal any damage that may have been done. Well it turned out to be the Omeprazole. I would take it and the pain would return. I am talking intense pain where you think, as Gooch said, that you are dying.
Cardiac tests and lung studies showed nothing wrong there.
Upper showed GERD to the point that when doing the test, I swallowed the dye and watched it come right back up on the monitor.  
Sorry for the long story but my doc believed me when I said I had the pain and found another drug for me - Protonix. I am sure there are horror stories about this one too. but it works.
the voice hoarseness and lump in throat, dizzy, bloating, mucus in stool, headache, excessive gas... those are ALL symptoms of GERD. I have the same problem. Throbbing in my head, messed up sinus, sinus headaches, and they are all contributing factors. Acid in the stomach makes for mucus production. That leads to more acid in the stomach... back aches, neck pain, joint pain, racing heart.. its all the bigger picture. You need to try the BRAT diet. Bread, rice, apples, tea.... It is supposed to keep the acid down. NO CHOCOLATE!!! When you have digestive issues, chocolate is the devil. Same with fatty or spicey foods. No added sugar (makes it worse) and no caffiene.. Sorry folks it takes the joy out of eating...
Does anyone one know of a person dying from taking 20mg omeprazole 1 dose (chest pain) rule as heartattack. frist time ever taking the pill. please let me know. My husband started on this medicine and had chest pains and next thing I know he was dead. He was having stomach pains and prescribed 20mg omeprazole  
I have been taking omeprazole for 20 years at 20mg per day, anybody have the qualifications on here to let me know that is safe? If I miss a couple of days then the severe reflux starts up. I have never had a side effect from this drug and find it very effective.

Somebody suggested an operation to repair the damage once and for all time.
i am 27 years old and every time i feel dizziness and my stomac is very poor condetion means nothing want to eat.my lever is too weak.
i have semi solid motion in a three times a day and when i motioned i feel weakness of all my body.
i eat omeprazole one a day for acidity but it little effect of my stomec.
tell me what should i do for a healthy life.
SHAN
Hellom I just wanted to say I have been on omeprazole 20mg for about 5m now at 1st my dr put me on it to treat and rulle out an ulser, then I had a scope down wich I was really worried about...But dont be its really not a big deal. and I am the bigest baby when it comes to that..well good news no canser but he said I have gerd< now I thing thats is just what they say u have when they dont know whats wrong. anywho omeprazole works, but if I mess just one day it comes back and it comes back mad! also If I miss 2days I get a really bad headache and just feel like Im gonna die. now i am not sure if that is a side afect of omep. or whats wrong with me. Right now I am having hartburn I for got to take my pill and then when I did take it I feel asleep so yep im paying for it...oh also i seen some people ask about food, If u look on the lable of the pills it will most likly tell u, put with omep. It says to eat 1/2 hr after taking it, well hope this helps someone.
im a 44year old women on 20mg of omeprazole... im on my third day..my symtoms (symptoms) are bloated stomach..side and right pain...but mostely  bloated and every single time  i would eat i could not finish my food before the drums inside my stomach started playing...i felt and heard my intestine as if  a war was going on inside of me...i had an endoscopy done and i was told that i had an ulcer....every morning i take my pills on a empty stomach and i must say that i no longer feel what i describe as drums playing in my stomach...the bloating which is the most unconfortable feeling is still present but a little less..im going for the whole three months and will keep you guys updated to as if the bloating has subsided...im hoping it will...just two years ago i had colon cancer and im dealing with other things but i thank God that i am a fighter...good luck to you all and never give up..
Hi, I have been having chronic stomach ache plus bloating plus loose stools for about a month. Dr just prescribed omeprazole as he thinks it may be Gastritis plus too much stomach acid. One thing to avoid in easing the symptoms is cut back on alcohol and cut back on cigarettes. Anyone out there had similar symptoms
For many people Omeprazole accompanied with Cayenne Pepper, cabbage juice and Apple cider Vinegar are working wonderful. Trust me, these herbal things will get you up and running like anything.

I am in a hurry so I will briefly explain. Cayenne Pepper can kill H.Pol bacteria. When I was in deep pain, Omeprazole 40mg dose 3 times a day did not work. Next day I took half tea-spoon Cayenne Pepper mixed in warm water and had this recipe 3 times with single dose of Omeprazole 40mg - It got under control. But keep doing this until you come back to 10mg Omeprazole.

I am off to take Apple cider vinegar, and cabbage to take 3 pints of juice everyday.

Just on a off note: Sipped some coka-cola, after ages. But listen you don't sip it until you get things in control, it can get worse if you consume fizzy drinks or alcohol or spirits. Initially you might think beer is okay sorts, but trust me it is not. It can really get worse to the point that you might be given a treatment of steroids to heal your stomach, so dedicate your self day and night to consume healthy foods that will help your tummy recover.

Copy and paste from another website:
Home Remedies for Heartburn (Peptic Ulcer Disease):
1. Holy basil (tulsi): Consuming few leaves of tulsi (2-3) leaves anytime gives relief from acidity.
2. Drinking water in the early morning controls acidity, as water is a good neutralizer for acid.
3. Pranayama: Deep breathing the right way until body feels relaxed or for about ten minutes is a good home remedy.
4. Indian gooseberry (Amla): One table spoon Amla with one table spoon haritaki (chebulic myroblan) is best acid pacifier.
5. Turmeric (Haridra): This is well known healer. It heals the lining of the stomach damaged by excess acid.
6. Bitter guard (Karella): This is one of the best acid pacifiers.
7. Cumin seeds (Jeera): The cumin seeds boiled in a glass of water are used in treating dyspepsia.
8. Cardamom (Elaichi): Cardamom is an effective in acidity.
9. Clove (Long): Sucking a piece of clove is excellent in treating acidity and irritability in the stomach.
10. Fennel (Saunf): Fennel seeds are effective in dyspepsia. It is a mild purgative, used in digestive and acidity complaints in infants and young children.
11. Fenugreek (Methi): Methi leaves are considered to be a very good in dyspepsia.
12. Juice of raw spinach also helps to reduce acidity.
13. Suck a small piece of jiggery gradually in mouth till acidity disappears.
14. Carrot juice gives relief from acidity.
15. Mint juice or mint capsules containing peppermint oil after meal are also a good for treating acidity. It also reduces gas formation.
16. Herbal tea containing spearmint (pudina) and liquorice (mulethi)
17. Elevate the head of your bed to reduce the chance of heartburn at night. The height of the elevation must be at least 6 to 8 inches to be at least minimally effective to stop the backflow of gastric fluids.
http://www.manukahoneyusa.com/

I have been taking a 40mg of Omerprazole for a month and a half. I want to replace with natural cure "honey". I just ordered a jar of honey from above website. I will let you guys know how it goes. I try not to take any medicines.
with silver fillings in teeth, you can get Heavy metal in your body. Candida and yeast can collect all heavy metal in one place to feed upon and it will make you feel bloated. It is just surprizing that Anti-acids will still give you relief so you will remain miss-diagnosed. Doctors just don't have time to go so deeper.

I Was on Omeprazole 20mg for perhaps 5 months in 2009, heartburn, incredible gas to the point of making chest and rib cage ache to the point of madness from it. Anyway took the pills and eventually it came good and stopped / forgot to take them and hadn't noticed it for a while.

Anyway last October, it decided to pay another visit, fearsome heartburn, pinpoint clamp in my left upper chest through to my back and that oh so lovely burning sensation we all know about. So back to the docs and he decided to put me on 20mg twice a day to see if it can get things under control, well through my own fault haven't been taking them when I should and its still there. boo, so as a result, religously taking them now.

I want to have some Rennie or Gaviscon to quieten it quickly but I 've been told that they will render the omeprazole useless by the doc, so thats out, so its a case of putting up with it for now.

Dr Google is a scare mongering old so and so and Boots' WebMD is just the same. I suggest you don't put in the symptoms you get into either of those if you are of a nervous disposition. (Life insurance paid up - lol)

Boots do sell Omep over the counter but its ridiculously expensive for relatively few if you are ever out and not taken your pill.

No investigation has been done into my excess acid, perhaps I'll ask the next time I'm at the docs as it would ne nice to know if its an ulcer or hiatus hernia or somethign else entirely.

I'm just going on now, but I just wanted to say that i've had good results from it in the past and I've taken it for a while.

My doctor only prescribed me Omeprazole 20mg, 1 tablet a day yesterday. I have only had 2 tablets so I know miracles don't happen. Does anyone know how long they take to work? I haven't eaten for 5 days and am struggling sipping water, because of the pain. I am hungry and want to eat and am so thirsty, but end up in tears of pain if I try.

A11
only this year started  getting all these symtons you people  or having i am  taking  omeprazole tablets i hate feeling bloated n feeling sick  most of the  time  can you end up  with this  all your life
Hello people. Just wanted to know if anyone feels sick with this cause I constantly feel sick and alway buping. Feels good to talk to people with the same and justt wanna know if anyone feels sick with this x
As I sit here reading all these posts I too am suffering very bad pain in the chest area, but it's not my heart I have been assured.... I have been prescribed Omeprazole 20mgs to take two in the morning first thing... I tend to get a little freaked out at taking tablets but this pain is unbearable at times and it's been going on now for nearly a year :-(. I'm looking for a bit or re-assurance about taking these tablet and reading the post's above is helping as some of you describe the pain I have.... I' ve never been affected in all my life with indigestion (im 50 now) I have been overweight most of my life but have started a weight loss program and im doing well at it... I took my first does 10 mins ago and although it say's to start taking them first thing in the morning, I just had to try it now, how long do they take to work?
Does anyone else suffer the likes of dull pain sometimes in arms and legs? I take it these are associated with the so called 'acid reflux'? Many thanks in advance for your help.
Tommy :-)
You have responded to an old, outdated thread from 2007.  The people who originally posted these comments may very well have moved on.  Rather than reply to an old thread, we recommend that people start a new topic to discuss the subject anew.  To do that, please click on the green "Post a Question" button at the top of the page.  This will get your post the attention it deserves.  Thank you.
of course take the tablets Ive been on them for over 4 years now and they they are very good...but you are supposed to take one in morning before you take something to eat, like your breakfast...and taking tabs on an empty stomach ain't good so i would say start bloody eating and take the tablets..
Im feeling like the food is still stuck somewhere between my breast bone and stomach, im burping wit an acidy after affect. And my chest feels horrible, tight some what pressure which scares me. I havnt taken the prescribtion my doctor told me to take it when it feels like a bad case of heartburn and today is one of those days i been like this for a few months now never before in my life tho. I finally took one today i doubt it will work instantly?
Well said, i have been told they think it could be acid reflux as i have had this pain and breathlessness for a while and fainted when out with my dog last week, very scary, i since then have had numerous anxiety attacks and had to call paramedics out who gave me diazepam to calm me down, which took a few hours. Went to doctor next day and have now been put on Osmeprazole 20mg 1 a day, and diazapam up to 3 a day, so far i have managed with 2 but am still very anxious. I am going to a Rapid access heart clinic just to rule any heart problems out. I have never been so scared in my life and am glad have family around to support me, it has totally disrupted everything  i do, am so tired, i'm off work as i work in a school and if you're not 100% its no use, i'm so anxious even with these drugs, dont know whether i should take more of the Oseprazole. Also have pain down my right back and side and stressed out whether this is associated with this or not, any comments would be appreciated
Hello all,I get the worst pressure on my chest,feels like someone is sitting on my chest.I have had it more than 48hours now,I only slept 1 hour last night,it doesn't matter how I sit or lie down the pressure stayes there,this is so annoying and its making me stress,I don't have heartburn just this pressure,I have been for 3 ekg in my life and all fine,the pressure is along my whole upper part of chest to just under were neck starts, ia have tried gaviscon had 2 prilosecs now,the pressure does not go away,is this GAS,could it be doing this,imagine youself with a person sitting on your chest more than 2 days.please help I also have been burping sooo much.
I read all the post looking  for one particular symptom... Discomfort on one side of the throat, only. Thats how mine began one month ago.  I was sent to get an ultrasound by my ent. and it showed slightly enlarged glands, more on the right. Anyways, she stuck the little camera down the left side of my nose, wondered why not the right? She said it didnt matter cause once past a certain point she could see both sides. It showed I've had acid reflux for about 6 months. hmmm?  One month taking Omeprazole 20mg. and I am feeling more of the typical burning in the chest and the stomach burning and throat still there too (right side). I wake up with it and go to bed with it. I am frustrated!!  Did anyone have the throat symptom first? I don't feel the food gets caught like some do. Strange?  
Hi to anyone reading this i have acid reflux ive been takining omeprezale for about 2 weeks now but i think ive had it for months but didnt realise the symtoms (symptoms) till now, cause i had a little reflux and burning chest pains on and off for about 2 months but just ignored it. I only recently had a virus (headache, body aches etc...) but also had a sore throat that lasted longer than normal almost 4 weeks that sent me to the doctor who said i had acid reflux and gave me meds 20mg wasnt working so now im on 40mg.

Anyway the symtoms (symptoms) i have or had were, a burning sensation moving around my chest sometimes near my shoulder, sore throat, tightness in the neck and pain in the jaw (that increases with chewing and taking physical exercise) and a strange feeling of a lump in my throat like food was stuck i felt like sometimes it would move about some times higher or lower and from one side to another side (that eased when swollowing food but would return almost straight away). I also feel like its phelm getting caught in my throat but i have no cough i try and and clear my throat but cant get much out i think the mucus increases more at night making it hard to breathe.

Now some advice suffers need to eat an Alkaline diet please reseach it, avoid food that promote acid, stay away from, spicy and greasy food, tomatoes and tomato sauces are apparantly not good, dairy, chocolate, yogurt, ice cream are a no no, they promote acid and mucus no alcohol and you need to stop smoking if you do, when i smoked i felt like my airways were closing like being choaked and i had to gasp for breath this also promotes panic attcks your body reacts to stress immediatly. May i also add when i smoked was when i felt the lump sensation the most so now that i have stoped the feeling has eased a lot because the throat is inflamed and the smoke is far to harsh and irritates the throat. Eat green salads (high in fibre) bananas and pineapples also apples really really help relieve symtoms (symptoms) (try and get soft yellow/red ones like the kid size apples not sure why but help me the most) especially If you have the lump in your thoat as it kinna pushes it away a bit and try and drink lots of water and takes some digestive enzymes like lepicol, at least 2 times a day which you buy from a herbal store like holland and barrat which is high in fibre and aids for quicker digestion of food so its not sitting in the stomach so long producing acid, try i know its hard not being able to drink, smoke and eat those tasty foods but you need to try and stay away from things that triger the eppisodes (sorry for any bad spelling its really late lol)
Hi I too have a burning feeling in my chest. It feels like  my throat is closing and that food is getting stuck when i eat or drink. Its a horrible feeling and i have been having this for months now. I thought it was happening to me because I was on radiation for two months. But i am told now that its heartburn. I just started taking Prilosec 20mg. I hope this works. Mzkim
For 2 years I have been having this almost constant throat clearing issue.  Some days are better than others, but those days are far and few between.  I never associated it with acid reflux as I never have the other symptoms that normally  indicate acid reflux.  So I was put on Omeprazole DR 20 mg capsules, one twice a day.  I have been on them now for about 5-6 weeks yet I am really seeing little to no relief.  Any suggestions? My doctor told me after prescribing the meds to go back and see him in 2 months.
Hi everyone... 10 years ago I was diagnosed with 3 peptic ulcers (either stress or medication :ibuprofen related, not sure why I got them). I lost so much blood through bowel movement unbeknownst to me. My boyfriend at the time was the one that insisted and called the ambulance immediately. I felt no pain and just felt weaker and weaker after going to the bathroom (lost color in lip and hands). I had to have 4 units of blood transfused and then they did an EndoScope surgery to carterize them (spent 6 days in the hospital). They put me on prevacid which dried me out then switched me to protonil (no side affects) for a year til they healed. I have not had any issues with them 'til after a year, they had to carterize one that was bleeding again. Since then, I have had no issues. And suddenly, about a week and half ago, I was in my obgyn's office with a massive headache (usually don't get them), and my blood pressure was about 138 over 88... So I went to see my unreliable primary care doc and she sent me home still with my BP high (with no medical instructions). A couple days later I had this heavy chest/ shortness of breath (which started after I had the flu back in January) and then numbness and tingling in my fingers at first and by the time I got to the ER my hand and arm was numb and tingling. They immediately did and EKG (for the chest pain and shortness of breath), it came back normal. They did a chest CT Scan (with dye), it came back "Excellent", the Er doc's word. They diagnosed me with Acid Reflux gave me some pill that helped about 90%, so I thought I would be better... But my blood pressure was lower but not normal. They sent me home with prescription for Pepcid (which helped, but think it made my bowels shredded and greenish/ diarrhetic like).  My BP fluctuates from highest 160 over 116 and lowest 118 over 89. Found another doc, did another series of blood tests (waiting for those results), and trying to get my BP down before he puts me on BP meds in a few more days... Anyone else suffer from high BP with their Acid reflux? Oh and this doc put me on prilosec/Omeprazole ( he shook his head at Pepcid and took me off it). Just took it hours ago and not sure if it is working or not (this issue goes back and forth, I feel the same way right now). BTW: anyone else feel burning/tightness in chest, neck, head and eyes from Acid Reflux as I am? HELPPPPP---> PLEEEEEAAAASE!!!
I am 29 yr old male. 3 months ago I woke up with very bad acid reflux and lots of stomach pain. I did not know what that is, thought I had too much sweets the night before. Well I decided to go to ER, I got there and they did ct scan, ekg, blood test and ultrasound. Everything is perfect they said. I am sitting and literally dying from pain. These clowns said I have a stomach virus and told me it will go away in 7 days. So they sent me home with no pills. Any way I went to ER at least 6 times within a month. Every time they give me different results. Some said I have gerd and other gastritis. They prescribed me omeprazole and famotodine and maalox. I tried to take them and though I would die, so I stopped. I slept only 2 hrs a night. Also I had chills in the morning like I was cold. I went to 10 different doctors and everyone said u are stressing out..etc. Well I did a lot of reading on my symptoms, so I asked for h pylori blood test. They did it and it came back positive, so I was like whew finally I know what it is. So they put me on flagyl omeprazole and biacin. For 10 days. I started to feel better after 2 days, but on the 8th day I felt same as day 1. So I went to doc and they told me to stop due to bad side effects. So it's been a month since i been off of drugs. I get nasty taste in my throat sometimes. I eat healthy, on bland diet. Lots 35 pounds in 2 months. Always thinking if I should take omeprazole or not. I take acid soothe chewable pill from health whole food store after I eat and digest gold enzymes before I eat. I feel much much better but I noticed I started having constipation and hard time going to the bathroom. Also weirdly enough my urine color is always dark yellow like I am dehydrated, but I am not. Anyone has anything similar? I feel like I get sore throat in the morning. I sleep 6 inches elevated since 3 months ago. I try to eat more probiotics like kefir. Bananas make my acid worse. Some days I feel fine and some days feel very nauseous. So I am debating on omeprazole, should I or not. I read too many bad stories with omeprazole. It causes cancer. That is what really freaks me out. Any ideas?
Also as many doctors I've went to, no one cares about you and send you home. It blows my mind, why to they do that. Even gastro doctors say I am fine. But I am not, it's the worst thing ever, it's like I am not me anymore. Can't work, can't relax and feel miserable.
I wonder if it will ever go away completely? Another thing is there are way too many heartburn commercials and way too many pills on walmart isles. I wonder if we get poisoned with our food to get heartburn so that pill companies and doctors can make more cash?
Also does anyone gets weird pepsi sparkling noises in the back of their throat with acid reflux? Also I get some inner ear noise sometimes and cannot feel asleep. Feels like low deep engine is running in my head or as if I am in the subway and hear train running engine in my head. Does anyone get that with acid reflux?
I went to Docs with symptoms of bloated stomach, especially after eating, lump like mucus at the back of my throat, and an irritation in the throat (like a tickly cough) and wheezing. I have no heatburn or taste of acid, but was told that it is GERD and was prescribed a month course of 20mg Omeprazole. I am a week into the course and it has been ineffective so far. I have cut out tea and coffee on the advice of the doctor, and am hoping that this will dissapear soon, it is driving me mad. I am 32 and otherwise healthy.........
I took omeprazole 20 mg for burping  three days now seems work. My doctor wants me to avoid certain food like low salt, no juices, no sugar, no sodas, no coffee, no tea, no tomatoes, no big meal, and no gain weight. Eat more fruits and fresh vegetables. Fruits and fresh vegetables smoothies in the morning is the best. Just mixed it from your blender. I mixed spinach, carrots, celery, apple, 1 strawberry yogart,  pears , glass of water. That's my breakfast.....
My experience was a good one.   After a month of taking Nexium about five years ago, I found my GERD symptoms much relieved.  I noted during the first two weeks, in particular, that I began to feel a large amount of pain in my esophagus at first -- my doctor explained that this was part of the healing process.  Up to then, my esophagus had been getting tough; as it healed, I began to feel the acid reflux more keenly.  As I adjusted my diet and took the pills, things improved dramatically.  

The final nail in the coffin for my GERD, however, was to lose about 15 lbs of excess weight.  Getting rid of the weight made the problems go away altogether.  ...at least so long as I kept the weight off.

Now, several years later, I have some weight to lose again (ooh those holidays), and I'm likely to turn back to the Omeprazole for a short while while I get myself back on track.  Such is the American way.

Nothing is short-term, folks.  Keep caring for yourselves and don't panic.  Healthy food, exercise, stress management, and weight loss are the best things for most of us.
(btw - I did not mean to conflate Nexium and Omeprazole -- I have taken them both with similar results.  I started with Nexium; now I've moved to a generic Omeprazole.  I see little difference.)
It doesnt matter that you feel better after only 3 days, a 28 day course of antibiotics should be taken for that long. As should a 7, 14, 21 or any number of days. Although people react differently, they are designed to be taken for said time frime, and stopping early could lead to a relapse infection or the bacteria becoming resistant. Antibiotics are sensitive compounds and our use of them should be strategically implemented ... It is important that we don't mis-use them of they will eventually become redundant ...
I've been on them since 2000. I've even had to increase to two times a day. I was on Protonix for 6 of those years then they stopped working so they put me back on Prilosec. They told me to just take it once a day (40 mg) and the symptons have eased somewhat but still bothering me some. My doctor told me that I'll be on the medication for the rest of my life. I have a peptic ulcer and every time I'm off the meds it comes back.
Hi been on omprazole for a 10 days now feeling a difference don't get the uncomfortable feeling as much and sickness is dying down a bit but still get the occasional feeling that my stomach is unsettled its an on and off feeling my doctor said take these for 2 weeks with the domperidone got to see doctor again on weds will keep you all updated hoping it clears up soon.
I have been on Omeprazole capsule 20mg for the past two weeks taking it twice a day. The medication made a big difference, I no longer feel bloated, no abdominal pain and funny feeling in my stomach. I'm able to eat almost anything now. I have to take it for two months, than go for another endoscopy. I am missing my glass of wine and wants to know if any of you know if it is ok to at least have a glass of wine.  Please let me know... Thanks
take omeprazole with levopraid that will help. Check h.pylori and find out the food that is not good for you.
Hi all,

I have been having stomach pains in the upper abdomen for around ten days. I went to the doctors last week and she prescribed me 20mg omeprazole, she advised me to take one per day, and if after a few days it didnt get any better, to start taking two per day. After two days it hadnt improved so I have started taking two per day, so far still no change.

Can anyone recommend anything that will help? I am going on holiday in three weeks and dont want to be feeling like this whilst I am away.

Any help would be appreciated.
you sound like you have gallstones....
it this capsal ur spoced to take and when you dotn take it what happens? I dont know someone tell me if I can get eny worse or enything im just an kid what happens if i dotn take it?

10 year old girl
Hi, I had my gall bladder out over two years ago and since then I started suffering from acid reflux on and off. It changed my life really - I lost two and a half stone in weight (35 pounds), started to run 3 times a weeks and changed my eating habits and I stopped smoking.  All was fine until Christmas Eve this year I contracted the norovirus which triggered off my acid reflux again. I'm absolutely livid because I haven't been able to eat anything for 5 days and it's completely cancelled Christmas.  After the first doc i  spoke to completely disregarded any of my symptoms other than the noro and basically told me to get over it like everyone else my second oppinion doc looked beyond her 'Noro tinted fear goggles' and proscribed omeprozole 20mg twice a day. Any idea when I'll be able to eat again? I started taking them yesterday and still have pain still feel sick. It'd be nice to enjoy a little bit of my holiday before I go back to work on the 2nd of Jan. Anyone had a similar experiance with noro.
Ps. I've noticed really hot baths and hot water bottles manage the pain. It's not much but every little helps right.
I've been prescribed Omeprazole 20mg. I've found that it's probably helping somewhat but I'm not certain it has. It's been 3 days (only) of taking it and it still doesn't beat the magic miracle cure that is red wine. If I drink red wine all my symptoms magically disappear until the next time I eat again. The only problem is affording the wine; and the other problem, I guess, is that this makes me an alcoholic now. Been dealing with this problem for 13 days since I first called the ambulance with a racing heart and palpitations. By the time they FINALLY did something about what seemed like a heart attack; the panic attack I was having was settled a lot more. Don't smoke weed with this, don't drink caffeine, really, that's what I've found. Two things have helped unbelievably (haven't tried all diet remedies yet): 1. Hold your head in cold water. 2. Drink red wine. P.S. I'm only 19 but I've read GERD has no age restrictions as to who it strikes..
I actually just went to the ER last night for upper abdominal pain. They have me Pepcid In my iv while I was there not sure how much but sent me home with omeprazole 30mg delayed release capsule and I'm just curious not to sound bad but occasionally during the summer myself and my mom will have a few wine coolers outside. Now what would should I do? Avoid drinking? That's the most that I drink is a few wine coolers haha i can't do much more than that. I just didnt wanna drink one and have to hAppen to me again.
Also is there anything else drink or food wise I should avoid?
*my discharge papers said that if you can try to avoid some of these it could help* but it also said that see what ones trigger so idk what I should do? In the list it was chocolate, alcohol, caffeine, vinegar, red sauces, peppers, spicy foods, greasy foods, etc. now I'm my mind those are the best things In life I have a good variety of foods I like but my mindset is like why restrict yourself and be unhappy stress also adds to it.
Please add your advice!!! Please!
Please add your advice!!! Please!
Please add your advice!!! Please!
Please add your advice!!! Please!
I've been on Omeprazole for a month now, I feel its helped but not gone...and I've recently had a blood test to see if I'm allergic to wheat, gluten or celiac
i am 43 years old and also using Omeprazole 20 mg two time before meal since last 8 years and it is very good for me , i think it can only be minimize by taking proper food and also most important relaxation of mind if you are relax then you feel more comfort ,
Hello I had the same problem when I started it made me sick, so I started taking it just before I ate, and I did not feel sick anymore, make sure u take it the same time everyday, I take my pill at supper time maybe 10 mins before I eat, I only take one pill a day. Try that I am sure u will feel better soon, but be patient it will take a few doses until u start to feel better.

Sam
I've been taking omerprazole 20mg for a few years, just once a day and everything was fine until I changed my doctor and he reduced it to 10mg....nothing but pain after. Back on 20mg now and it's finally getting better again. To be honest  most of our problems come from diet and stress together and it is I feel difficult to control both together. But if you can cut down on the caffeine and alcohol a bit, then it definitely helps. Good luck all of you.
so sorry about your hubby. As far as I know they usually do a test called "pink lady" which is a mixture of malox and a numbing drug that is taken orally when both chest pain and stomach pain happen at the same time. If the stomach pain subsides but not the chest pains then it is inclusive the person is in fact having a heart attack. Why didn't someone check this?? What a sad society we live in :( Again so sorry for your loss.