How long
I had diverticulitis and have been on meds for four days and see little and/or no improvement Bowel Movements are thin and only take place with the help of colase.  My questions are:
1. How long does this go below I return to the dr.?
2.  I back pain common with this?
3.  My lower left side feels hard and tight and it is swollen and extended.  Is this common with Diverticulitis?
Sue

This discussion is related to When to return to Dr or how long will this pain last?.
Hi Sue,

I was diagnosed with diverticulitis in 2008 and was on meds (Cipro and Flagyl) for three weeks. My symptoms were: first diarrhea, followed by constipation, pain in lower left abdomen, some days the pain was intense and some I didn't feel anything, pain was worse with walking, later fever and nausea. My abdomen was hard. I did not have back pain. I had a follow up after one week and noticed improvement after 5 days.
May I ask how your Dr. diagnosed you with diverticulitis?
Sam, I ans. your email, however, this is new to  me.  Please let me know you got it or not.  I went into send a message rather than post a comment.  Sue
Sam, I'm going to also post a comment so either way you'll get a response..I hope.  I was dia. with diverticulitis after seeing my dr. who was sure that was what it was.  I then had a CT Scan which showed diverticuloca but no divertuclitis.  However, the symptoms all lead to diverticulitis so I am being for it.  
I am feeling better today.  I went on a liquid diet Sunday and that helped to reduce the swelling and the pain.  My stool is still narrow and that worries me.  I ate today for the lst time and got nausea and light headed.  I'm dizzy alot and feel like I want to pass out.  I also can't sleep.  

What kind of diet do you now follow and does it work for you?  Thanks, SUe