Gastroenterology Community
How much Prevacid is required?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

How much Prevacid is required?

I have been on Prevacid, 30 mg, twice daily, for about a month.  It finally seemed to kick in after 4 weeks and I had 5 glorious days of no acid, or very little.  I then reduced my dosage to one 30mg capsule daily.  Within two days the GERD came back full force!  Is it better to go back to two pills?  Is it common that it would come back so strong?  I'd rather take the two capsules again than have this!  Ugh!  
I had the same problem, once I tried to cut back it was horrible. I went back to twice a day and am symptom-free.
I have gone on and off PPI's (Prilosec and Prevacid a long time ago).  When you cut back you get acid rebound.  It's better to do it slowly if you can.  I think Prevacid comes in 15mg but you need to ask your doctor as I'm not sure if the over the counter version is exactly the same as the prescription.  You can also ask your doctor what else you can take to help with the acid rebound.  Avoiding acidic foods also helps.  Good luck!