Gastroenterology Community
Hulless popcorn - Safe for those with diverticulitis?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I have had diverticulosis for about nine years and have had several infections over the years and have been hospitalized twice to treat the pain and infection.  I have read about hulless popcorn and all the companies selling it say it is safe for people wiht diverticulitis.  Is this too good to be true?  I love popcorn, but haven't eaten any in years for fear of infection from a hull getting stuck.  
Has anyone had success with hulless popcorn or talked to their GI doctor about it?  Like I said, I fear it is probably too good to be true, but maybe there is a way to enjoy popcorn again.  
I have found a couple enjoyable options; popcorn flavored rice cakes and popcorn flavored jelly belly jelly beans.  Neither are real popcorn, but do deliver the flavor.
Thanks for your help.
I've never tried hulless popcorn so can't help there. A recent study was published in the Journal of American Medicine regarding diverticulosis. Doctors are now finding that nuts and popcorn (didn't say hulless) aren't foods to stay away from. The research indicated that individuals had fewer episodes that ate nuts and popcorn than the group that did not eat either food. I saw the information in my local newspaper as well as online. On the other hand, if you have had problems in the past specifically with popcorn, you are probably better off staying away from it. I was diagnosed this summer and love both nuts and popcorn. My gi doc said to be sure I chew the nuts well but I could continue to eat them. I still love popcorn but I just don't eat that as often as the nuts. It may be more a matter of convenience than anything else with the popcorn.
Good luck. Let your body inform you about what works for you.