Gastroenterology Community
I smell of feces and i don't know why when i am so clean

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

why do i smell of feces?

I am a 25 year old man and i first noticed this problem 6 or 7yrs ago. I was on a bus and someone shouted, 'it smells of sh*t on this bus and then they said it's him over there, pointing at me, my heart beated and i was so embarresed. I felt sick and could not believe it.  Ever since then ive had comments, people holding their noses, looking at me in disgust wherever i go. I am very clean, i showa 1-2 times a day, wash my anus after each bowel movement, I can't smell it most of the time. I tried commited suicide loads of times and neva went out to start off with but after a while you learn to say f**k em and live your life. I have close friends and family who say they can't smell it but strangers tell me. Ive had a camera in my anus/colon to look 4 ne problems and could find anything. I'm going to get tested for TMAU next week, so see what happens. It still bothers me and gets me down but im not alone.
Hi sweetie, I am a 44 year old woman who has this same problem.  I mean the very same problem from the beginning of the story to the end.  I just want you to know you are not alone.  I had contemplated suicide before but I have young children who need me.  I do understand the stares and people saying ooh she stinks.  I can't smell it at times, especially when it gets humid outside or really hot.  My family says they can't smell it, but strangers do.  I take showers about 3 times a day, but soon as I get out of the shower and go somewhere I still smell.  I am going to have the Sigmoidscopy procedure where they look up my rectum/anus.  I hope something gives, because I have had two surgeries last year where the doctor said my rectum had fallen and he was suppose to lift it, but still having the same problem after being off antibiotics.  Sometimes I think it is yeast.  I hope everything is better with you.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers