Gastroenterology Community
I take acid reflux meds every day and still have heartburn!

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I am way too young to have this problem. I have had acid reflux for years now and i have been taking meds for it. My doctor told me I need to try to ween myself off of the medicine (zegerid, because nexium and a million other meds dont woork). I tried doing that and I still keep getting heartburn no matter what. I have gotten the endoscopy several times and the doctors just say that the bottom of my esophagus is not tight, which gives me G.E.R.D. I can't deal with this anymore. I get terrible heartburn and I dont know what to do with myself because I take Zegerid EVERY DAY!! This is starting to seriously interfere with my life, and work. I can't do much when I get stomach pains. Why does the zegerid not work sometimes? And how do i get rid of this terrible heartburn? and why do i have to keep taking it if there's nothing specifically wrong with me?
Hi, have you ever tried Zantac?  Take the Zantac 150 (or two 75's) in the morning and before dinner at night, or before bed, whichever you prefer.  

I have had heartburn forever and I tried the prescription meds, but I feel the Zantac works the best.  But 75 is not enough, make sure you take 150 mg. twice a day.  Also, you can supplement it with Mylanta or Maalox liquid if it's really bad.

I'm not saying this will be a miracle cure, but it's worth a try.  Unless you tried Zantac already, I don't know.

Let me know.
I also suffered with acid in my younger years, so bad I went to the hospital for it, so bad I have slept in the tub upright before.
Zantac would not touch mine.  I take 30 mg prevacid (prescription) every day.  After time it goes away.  You need something very strong like this.
I am currently suffering from acid reflux and tried those OTC meds.  Prilosec worked the best for me.  However, I haven't been feeling that great and the doc prescribed Prevacid at 30mg twice a day along with 1g of Amoxil and Biaxin.  My H. Pylori test came back negative so I could stop the Amoxil and Biaxin.  It might take a while but he tells me it will work.

On the other hand, a friend of mine had severe reflux and the doc prescribed Protonix.  It worked so well that they were able to get off of it and only use it when they feel a flare up coming on (every couple months).  If Prevacid doesn't work for me that will be the next thing I ask for.