Gastroenterology Community
IBS/After Gallbladder removal

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

IBS/After Gallbladder removal

I want to know why so many people develop IBS after Gallbladder removal? I did not have any problems until then. I suffered with IBS for years until my Gastro doctor put me on Welchol and it is wonderful I take 3 pills a day and I can get anything I want and I don't have any IBS episodes anymore. I am not afraid to go out anywhere anymore. But I have another problem. I have just been diagnosed with Clostridium Difficile Colitis, it is from me taking the antibiotic Clindamycin after having oral surgery, it was prescribed by my oral surgeon, but I never knew this could happen. I have had severe cramps and mucus/watery pinkish/orange diarrhea for a week. I thought it was some kind of virus I picked up. Now I am on the antibiotic Vancocin HCL and Cholestyram for the diarrhea. But I will say I was taking the Cholestyram for my IBS until my Gastro gave me Welchol...Long term use of Cholestyram has effects on your teeth, it breaks down the enamel and makes them brittel. I have had so much dental work because of that medication. For all of you out there with IBS ask your Gastro dr about Welchol it is wonderful.

This discussion is related to Why does so many have problems after gallbladder surgery?.