Gastroenterology Community
Im back from the HidaScan

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Im back from the HidaScan

Well i went in and they put the IV in, Put something thru it and then made me go back out in the waiting area for 1 hour...They called me back and then laid me on the table and started putting the other stuff thru my IV.. Laid there for another good 45 mins and that was it! All done
First thing is the stuff they put in did not make me sick to my stomach (which was good) But they said that it would not bother me....
2nd when i woke up and went there this morning my side was fine.. The longer i laid there and the longer that stuff kept going thru me i could feel the pain in my normal spot on the side coming back! And Its still with me  LOL
I told the technician that i could feel it and he said well.... that would lead him to believe its my gallbladder
BUT of course they dont tell ya anything.... He said this test is a pretty quick turn around, they should have the results by this afternoon or no later then tomorrow AM. SO now lets just wait and see how long it takes my Dr to call me   :(
Anyone else who has had this done feel the pain come back while the pictures were taking ? Did you end up having surgery?
sandy
I had HEDA scan done.   Sure, you can feel it--that stuff they put in the second IV makes your gall bladder contract.  It's perfectly normal to feel that.  But when I had it done, I felt very pronounced pain, along with nausea for 5 minutes.  Then it was gone.  Sounds like you didn't even have that.  The lab tech I had said that most patients who feel the pain have a gall bladder problem, and most who don't, don't--but that there were plenty of counterexamples to that.
I had the HIDA scan done this past friday and it showed an 8% ejection fraction....will have surgery to remove my gallbladder on the 17th.
Hey there, Im glad that your test showed something... Im hoping and praying mine does also... Thinking about calling the dr right now and seeing if he heard anything. Woke up this morning sick to my stomach again YECK!
Did you have any of the pains while doing the hida scan? i did not get sick to my stomach but did feel like gas pain thru out my whole stomach and did feel the pain on the right hand side start as soon as they started putting that stuff thru the IV
sandy
Hope your gall bladder removal (and post-removal) goes well.  I'm on Ursodiol/Actigal now, which is supposed to dissolve gall stones--if you have time.  It's supposed to take ~8-12 months.  My fraction was 23%, which was not nearly as bad (but still below "normal").
You've got to be joking. When I had my HIDA scan done the tech took me back and put me on the table to start the IV. Only he had to call a surgical nurse in to start the IV because he was using a tourniquet which was causing my veins to pop. So they had to place the IV without the tourniquet. I remember they only used one medication. I was flat on my back for 60 minutes and I felt the pain in my URQ. I wish they had knocked me out. My test showed squat. Not on my life would I endure that torture again.
I had the Hida Scan done also. I had to lay flat for like two hours. I too had pain and extreeme nausea. I had my GB out a week later even with no gall stones and my gallbladder was working at 75%. Mine was infected.
Wow thats nice to hear. I go see a surgeon on tuesday and i cant wait... Something or somebody has to do something i cant stand this pain ALL THE TIME anymore....
So your hida scan came back fine??????
sandy
Yeah weird huh but i still had tons of pain so they decided to operate anyway any thats when they found that it was infected
Yes very weird... im a little worried that this dr wont want to do anything because both my tests came back fine.... But when i look at your numbers compared to my 39% i have a little hope..LOL I was hoping t have this all done and over before xmas.. Guess that wont be happening....
sandy
All my tests were normal, Hida Scan, Ultrasound no stones, light and camera down throat normal. I was hesitant about it but glad i had it done. like 3 mths after I had to go to the ER for a 104.1 temp and more URQ pain, they then thought appendix but it was a severe infection in my intestions so i was on abx for 30 days. After that all is fine.
So you had your galbladder out first and then ended up in the er with the intestine infection?
sandy
yeah weird. they tried to tell me that the infection was common, but all the people in my family that had gb surgery never got the infection.
Hi, What type of pain do you have with your gallbladder?  I've had pain for some time, and have only been diagnosed with GERD.  H. pylori negative, ulcer negative. I'm having HIDA scan in two weeks but now I'm worried about the test after reading all this.  Last year I had an upper GI Barium Swallow and about two hours after the test I had horrible pain all up and down my right side.  Do most people have pain with a HIDA scan?  Thanks, and good luck to you.