Gastroenterology Community
Inactive Chronic Gastritis - Huh?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Inactive Chronic Gastritis - Huh?

Hi, just got some labs back saying that I have signs of "inactive" chronic gastritis..what does that mean..anyone have it that knows? I am wondering if that means I am susceptible to H-pylori, my test is negative on that. I do take antiinflammatories, but not lately due to GI probs.

If I'm not mistaken, it means you don't have fresh lesions or noticeably advancing deterioration.  It means you have a chronic condition, but it's not doing any damage at this time.

If the test was a measurement for gastrin, it may also mean that your gastrin levels are elevated but not high enough to cause concern.

The only way to be truly certain is to ask your doctor.  And if you require antibiotics but they're upsetting your stomach or intestines, find out what he/she can prescribe that will do the job without tearing your guts apart.
I have the same thing.  See my new post in this forum.
They can tell that you have had inflamation (inflammation) in the past, but it is not inflamed now.
see my post and see if you have the same symptoms.

I have tried DGL, slippery elm, gentle digestive enzymes, L- glutamine and some stomcah formulas geared to heal the lining of the stomach. Sometimes I think they work,, but now nothing is releiving this pain.  
It is even very tender to the touch.  Right under the breastbone, when I press, it is very inflamed and sore.  Sometimes i pull that area down gently, to get the stomach down, and once it helped so much I had NO pain for a week after that.  Maybe food gets caught up there and rots?
Right now it feels like i have been punched in the stomach.
I never feel "hunger".  Only pain. Sometimes the food will soothe this for a few hours, but not now.  Now the pain stays, and sometimes gets worse after I eat, no matter what I eat.
The pain is a rawness pain, like I have eaten a bowling ball that wont move. ONce in a while the pain will get sharp also, but does not stay long. The other heavy pain is there 24/7.
PS  Is there instant email notification in this forum?
thanks.

i have found out i have this chronic inactive gastritis.has made me pretty sick at times i did have the h pylori infection they say thats gone now.but i still suffer so much it is a terrible thing. i feel for all of us that has to deal with this stuff. any suggestions to help
I was just diagnosed with inactive gastritis. Everything the doctor has prescribed so far has worked for a little while but eventually the pain comes back. The thing that has worked best so far is taking one Pepcid Complete in the morning 20 minutes before eating anything. This will keep me pain free most of the day. Good luck to all. I feel your pain.
Hi.  I had an endoscopy in Dec and was told I have gastritis.  I also have Reflux but have had that for years.  I take Prevacid and now Carafate.  I don't have pain, sometimes burning, but now I notice a strange pressure/ feeling/ knotlike right above my stomach. Sometimes I am nauseous.  I have tried honey, ginger and coconut water and coconut milk.  I am thinking of going back to the doc but not sure.  I also suffer from anxiety disorder so not sure if it is connected or not.  I take Celexa and Klonopin.  I also tested negative for H pylori.  Would appreciate any feedback.  Thanks.
Hi. I had an endoscopy 2 weeks ago and was told I have chronic inactive gastritis as well as most of you on this page. I have lesions in my stomach as well as my esophagus. I have massive chest pain and am now having pain where my gallbladder is located (1 of 3 ultrasounds i had show polyps in it). None of my doctors can figure out what's wrong with me and they are trying to send me to a pain specialist. I'm a 19 year old female in perfect health until the pain started 6 weeks ago and has now rendered me incapable of pretty much everything. Does anyone have any input? The tests I've had have ruled out heart and lungs so it's nothing life trheatening so every time I go to the ER (4 times in 6 weeks because I have lost consciousness) they just send me home. What do I do? I'd completely desperate and would greatly appreciate any input. Thanks.
Did you ever find out anything, my wife has the same symptoms minus the passing out bit.
Hi Ellienor

I have acute - tender pain in upper abdomen just below my ribs. It wakes me up each night and now progressively the pain is there throughout the day.  The surface just below ribs is very very tender and sore.  Feel pain when bending moving.

I dont have reflex. Had Gastrosciopy which said mild oesophagitis as well as Chronic Inactive Gastritis.   Have got ultrasound and blood teats performed - all clear.

Am on 40 mg Somac (previously on 40 mg Nexium). Last two weeks my Doc asked me to add 300mg Tazac.    Nothing has helped to leaasen or remove pain.

Should I go ona diet binge  or coconut water only/fruits etc?  pls advise

Ranga

I dont have reflex. Had Gastrosciopy which said mild oesophagitis as well as Chronic Inactive Gastritis.   Have got ultrasound and blood tests performed - all clear.

Should I go on a diet binge  or coconut water only/fruits etc?  pls advise