Gastroenterology Community
Intermittent Bowel Obstruction

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Intermittent Bowel Obstruction

In January 2009 I developed severe abdominal cramping and bloating/distention. The cramping soon led to violent vomiting which sent me to the hospital ER. I was told I have probably had bowel obstruction. I was admitted to the hospital for 5 days while numerous X-ray's were taken of my abdomen. Before the doctors could find the blockage it had "corrected itself" according to the doctors. I was then sent home. Within 5 days I started having the exact same symptoms and again ended up in the hospital ER and was admitted to the hospital. For the next 4 days I received at least 10 X-rays (this time with barium) and again was told I have "intermittent" bowel blockage. I was then sent home and was told to stay on "full liquids" for a couple of days before going back on solid food. I was told by the doctors if my symptoms returned to come to the ER and be prepared for surgery to remove "scar tissue" that was "probably" causing my problem. I had abdominal surgery in July 2000 and scar tissue is a problem that can show up in years down the road. I was told 15% to 20% of those that have abdominal surgery can expect to have such problems. I was one of the unlucky ones. Here's my question. The doctor's couldn't tell me "where" my blockage was. If they can't tell me where it is how do they know what it is? And, how do they know where to cut to remove the offending scar tissue?
Good questions, you deserve an answer. They of course know, they must assume that a lay person wouldn't understand the answer. Maybe you won't but you can learn it is your body. Your Doctors owe this to you, demand one!!
magnetic resonance imaging can help detect the site of lesion. also virtual colonoscopy can help locate accurately. contact a gastro enterologist physician