Gastroenterology Community
Irregular Bowel Movements
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Irregular Bowel Movements

For as long as I can remember, I've had a problem with regular bowel movements. When I was a lot younger I put it down to my poor diet, as I had very little fibre, drunk a lot of milk instead of water and fruit juices, and wouldn't eat vegetables.

As I got older I corrected these problems, but my bowel movements still only average to approximately one a week, and if I go much longer than that, I get terrible constipation, and it's distressing painful to pass stools.

I make sure I drink around 6-8 glasses of water a day, I eat fruit and vegetables every day, and have switched to eating wholemeal bread to increase my level of fibre, but I still have no idea how to make myself "go" more regularly. Can anything be suggested to increase this?
Related Discussions
My daughter had the same constipation problem since she was young.  We tried everything.  I had read that cow's milk products were the #1 constipator.   Her only milk products that she took in were one to two slices of cheese a day and maybe some butter on veggies.  So we eliminated all forms of milk and voila....within a week or two (I don't remember exactly how long it took because it was so many years ago) she started going to the bathroom every day...instead of every 4-5 days.  She was so relieved.  Some days she cheats and has some cheese on a salad and she pays for it..but she quickly returns to her restrictive diet to fix the problem.  I hope this helps.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...