Is colonoscopy necessay to diagnose IBD or IBS ?
Having problem of single loose stool in morning (last 2 months). Stool tests are normal. Blood tests are normal except ESR(WGN) being 12. My doctor wants to do colonoscopy to rule out IBD/IBS. I am very afraid of it due to its complications. Does colonoscopy makes intestines weak. Is it better to avoid heavy activities like high altitude travel, mountain climbing etc for few days after the test. Or is it ok to do after a days rest ?
Is it possible to take some IBD medicine to see if it works (before colonoscopy) ?. I think virtual colonoscopy won't be useful in this case. Are there any medicines out there ?...Thanks
I was diagnosed with IBS without having a colonoscopy, but with a change in bowel habits your doctor may feel it's best to go in a take a look at your colon.  This would also give you peace of mind. You can resume normal activity the day after, it's really simple procedure.  You could actually resume normal activites the same day, but since you will be sedated you'll need someone to drive you home, but once that wears off, you'll be fine.  You could ask your doctor to prescribe a medication for IBS to see if things improve, but I'd want to be on the safe side and rule out any problems.  My son had his entire colon removed, and he is a mountain biker, speed hiker in the mountains,marathoner, ultrathoner, and competes in jujitsu.  He still endures yearly endoscopies, and anal scopes, it's all about attitude!