Gastroenterology Community
Is everyday use of laxatives bad for you?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Is everyday use of laxatives bad for you?

I'm a 25 year old female and I've never been "regular". I've tried high-fiber foods, supplements, I religiously drink water, I'm active, I do pretty much everything that would encourage regular bowl movements. In the past I've had bloodwork done to look at my metabolic rates, I'm told everything is fine. So for the past year, I've been taking 3 laxatives every night before I go to bed. If I don't, I don't go to the bathroom the next day. I typically alternate between bisacodyl and sennosides (active ingredients).
I don't do this for weight loss, I just do this to go to the bathroom! If I could go by myself, I would gladly give these up! So I guess my questions are:
1) Is it safe to take 3 laxatives everyday?
2) Have you any other alternatives I can try?