Gastroenterology Community
Is hunger discomfort all the time a medical condition?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Male - Adult - Hungry - 24/7.
Location - left & top center stomach mostly.
Excessive-over-eating gives short relief, other times over-eating won't reduce hunger.
Small meals more often leave me hungry.
Fasting stops hunger.
Antacids greatly reduce hunger, cause burping.
** Hungry part of the stomach is tender/sore if pushed in. (normal when hungry right?)
Endoscopy (unrelated reason) was completely normal.
Upset stomach and hunger can be hard to tell apart sometimes and directly related. Hunger causes upset stomach.
I eat healthy low fat, low sodium foods.
Been hungry for years.
Body weight on the low side.
Excessive-over-eating can cause stomach stretching sharp pains but can also stop my hunger for a short while.

Can this be a medical condition or do I have an over-eating disorder?
I'm confused but you may like to try posting your question in the emotional eating expert forum.

Over-eating will provide emotional relief.  Fasting can be another way to gain emotional relief as it gives you a sense of control.
The tender part could be due to reflux (or being pushed too much).

It could be stress-related.  ??  Sometimes when you are stressed you can have issues with your stomach.

If it's physical hunger it should be able to be remedied with food.  If not it could be some unfulfilled emotional need.

The doctor on the emotional eating expert forum is knowledgeable about this sort of stuff, or will refer you elsewhere if not.  Try there.

Thank you. It's definitely 'feels' like a physical feeling. If I push on my upper belly 'lightly' after 2 hours with out eating it's enough discomfort to break a sweat. But really odd, if I go long enough with out food, it changes and the discomfort goes away and you can push on my belly with minimal discomfort.

I've also placed a post on eating disorders, not been answered yet. If it's stress it would be my whole life, been hungry since a little kid. Definitely not a control thing.

Unfulfilled emotional need not sure.... how would I know? I guess this is why I'm asking a question trying to learn what it is, how to stop the feeling in my belly. To be honest I'm not really sure I know what hunger feels like. Hunger is stomach discomfort to me. Eat to reduce the discomfort = hunger. I've learned to eat when I feel this feeling since I was little. I don't know anything else.

I don't know what to do, my doctor says I eat way too much, eat less, use ant-acid if it helps sends me on my way. The hunger is really overpowering. It's a fight I always loose.

I know the hunger I feel is on the left and top of my stomach, but not sure if my brain is making me think I feel this, ect... When I go long enough with out food that feeling fades away and I could care less about eating but force my self so I don't loose weight or get weak. Once food hits my stomach it starts up all over again pretty quickly. Even water causes the same feeling but digests faster and the feeling reduces quickly with water. But food keeps the feeling of hunger for hours when I eat. Completely backwards.

This is what brings me here wondering if maybe it's not self control over a desire for food but maybe a stomach condition, ect..
One more thing, if after enough time not eating water won't cause the hunger feeling only when food is in my stomach or after food is in my stomach. After too long of not eating I start to feel really sick when I drink too much water, don't like that at all. It's rare that I'd ever go long with out food. Just to test to see what my stomach does or for blood work, ect.. I love eating food but I hate how it makes my digestion feel.
Does the small intestine have anything do do with hunger or just the stomach?
Hunger won, I just started eating rolls and when they reached my stomach I could feel the bread rubbing the lining and it felt irritated like when you scrape your skin and touch it. There's definitely irritation. I ate a bunch of small apples before. I tend to eat softer foods because they don't hurt when I over eat, which takes away the hunger.

On the other hand, what if food is causing irritation, causing me to think discomfort = hunger. This is where I'm at.
This can't be a mental thing (as I have believed for years), I'm open to it being my mind thinking I'm hungry, but just don't think it is anymore. What if it's irritation. What can I do to stop it. Even the sodium-bicarb is not enough. Someone suggested aloe juice (didn't work) If it is irritation, the sodium-bicarb is an ant-acid but also sodium, so it would also irritate after it neutralizes right? This is the last time I'm over eating intentionally because I know now it's not stopping the hunger, what's the point of over eating. It's a powerful instinct to eat when I feel hunger, but I'm sure, absolutely sure I'm not hungry. It may have taken years to figure this out, but yea, it can't be hunger.

The apples just made it worst from earlier after they digested.

Ok. Lets change this whole thing. What if I have pain in my stomach that is caused by food. The more I eat the stronger this discomfort pain gets. It's been all my life. It goes away when I stop eating because all the food leaves my stomach. Does this make a lot more sense? It's starting to for me.
The discomfort is most noticed after the food leaves my stomach headed to the intestine. So I've been trying to over fill my stomach to ease the discomfort but now realize this is only causing more discomfort for a short period of relief. What can I do in place of over eating and not eating to stop this feeling in my stomach? All and any advice is gladly accepted.
Have you seen a Gastro doc yet?  You may need to get a test called an EGD (Endoscope) of your stomach to rule out a duodenal ulcer.  I had almost the same symptoms but with heartburn, acid relfux and a general feeling of food sitting in my stomach like a rock. Had the EGD done and sure enough,,,an ulcer was the culprit and it's very uncomfortable.
I never talked to the doctor who did the endoscopy, it was written down there was some irritation but otherwise normal and ruled out gerd. My stomach or intestine just after the stomach also produces a lot of gas. I also over eat to relieve the gas pressure feeling because I can't burp it up. If I take a gas med I start to burp too and feel better.

I guess I have been over eating for temporary relief from the discomfort. I found "many" posts on the gastro forum here that was so exact to what I was describing I thought they were my posts.

Being that it's not hunger I now believe that the desire to over eat should go away as I realize food is the problem not the solution. If over eating isn't helping and it's not hunger I won't want to over eat. Over-eating was just a tool to make the discomfort go away, not a emotional thing. I didn't care what I ate as long as the hunger(which now I know isn't hunger) would be reduced.

But now I'm left with no way to control the discomfort other than ant-acids that really won't work long to control the discomfort. Whether it hunger, pain, discomfort, burning, what ever it is, it's still unresolved. Maybe some of the other posts that were exactly like mine have answers.

Finally the discomfort/burning that I thought was hunger is going away now after 6 hours with out food. I'll try and eat a little now. Yea, I have no desire at all to over eat anymore. Maybe one problem solved. If anything that was huge.
I just realized something. It hurts at the left and top part of my stomach. If I'm right, that's where food sits until it mixes with acid. Or maybe where the lining gets weaker? Not sure. Wonder if specific foods are causing irritation before it mixes with acid?