Gastroenterology Community
Is there a connection between constipation and kidney stones?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

About 3 weeks ago, I had a kidney stone and passed it.  It was painful and took only a about a day.  About a week later I started to get constipated.  Right now I have been struggling with the constipation for about two weeks now.  I drank 6 tsp Epson salt with water and passed all of that until clear.  I still feel like I have a softball inside me pushing all day every day.  A few days later I took Castor oil with the same results.  Then mineral oil enema.  All of these things are going through me quickly and completely.  The problem is that I still have the softball feeling.  I feel the liquid go around it and can even pass soft stool around it.  Is there a connection to the kidney stone?  What can I do to relieve myself of this constant urge?  I can sit and push for long periods with no results.  I am taking fiber, and flax etc... I am losing all of my energy and motivation to do anything...  HELP please..
Hi, with constant urge - you mean urgency to have a bowel movement? Kidney stones may be related to inflammation of the bladder or even infection. Inflamed bladder can press on the rectum and irritate it.

On the other hand, there is maybe something in your rectum, diverticles or a polyp...

If you think you may have urinary infection, you should have an urine test. If eventual treatment of UTI won't help, then you can think about rectoscopy.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers