Gastroenterology Community
Is there any relation between cholestatis of the pregnancy and gallblad...

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Is there any relation between cholestatis of the pregnancy and gallbladder deseace or cancer of the gallbladder?

About 9 years ago I was diagnosed with cholestasis of the liver (ICP) with my first and only child. It started in my 3rd month of pregnancy and towards the end the itching was so severe and was jaundice to the point that baby has induced at 35 1/2 weeks. I developed gallstones in the process, which I was told they are common with ICP because of the biliruben. Also I’m from Chile which I was told put me on higher risk, and my sister had ICP as well.  I delivered a beautiful baby boy and he was ok. Symptoms went away for the most part except that I would get a very minor itch about the time my period would come. Since then I have not taken birth control pills.  Fast forward to 2009, I’m in my earlier 40's now and I have started my premenopausal, my estrogen is unbalanced and recently I have been started itching again not as strong as it was when I had ICP but more than the usual specially when period should come but doesn’t, also my gallbladder is tender some days and my back hurts. I visited the doctor and sonogram show gallstones are still there and doctor said that is why they are bothering me. In addition, recently Mamo showed that I have micro calcifications clusters in my LB that were discovered because of a cyst on the RB. Biopsy ruled out breast cancer, but doctor said hormones (estrogen) are probably to blame. A pelvic exam shows that I also have multiple ovarian cysts.
In regards to the gallstones that were developed while I had ICP back in 2000 do you know of any connection between ICP and cancer of the gallbladder later on in life? I read that the leading cause of cancer in Chilean women (more than breast cancer) is gallbladder cancer. It is strange that Chilean also suffer of very high percentage of ICP that affect the liver and create gallstones.  Can estrogen be causing problems with the gallbladder again?

This discussion is related to Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy.