Gastroenterology Community
Is this chronic gastritis?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Is this chronic gastritis?

I am a 24 year old hispanic female. About 6 1/2 years ago, after the birth of my first child, I began having severe pain in my upper central abdominal area. The pain was severe enough that it was completely debilitating. It is difficult for me to describe it, but at the time I described it as feeling like air lodged in my chest. A painful pressure. It made it difficult to breathe, walk, move in any way, speak, and made me very light headed. When this started it was always very severe and would last approx. 2 or 3 hours. At the beginning it only happened a couple times a year also.

About a year and a half ago I noticed that it began to happen more frequently, once a month, and then a couple times a month. The pain was just as severe as before, only it began lasting upwards of about 12 hours or more. When this happened it concerned me and I went to the ER and it was then that I was diagnosed with gastritis and they gave me a thick white medicine to numb my stomach, which helped immensely. During my 3rd pregnancy they began to happen more frequently still, at about several times a month. During the end of my pregnancy I had bad heartburn, so I was using Maalox pretty frequently, and that seemed to help with preventing it. After I had my baby the flare ups began again. Now my stomach is pretty much constantly irritated by food or drink. I started an elimination diet and it has seemed to eliminate most things. No red meats, pastas, anything greasy, anything with tomatoes,spice, etc. I try to follow this, and after flare ups I try to follow the liquid or bland diet for a few days.

The irritation is everyday now. When I eat the wrong foods or do not eat at all then I have flare ups, which are no longer quite as severe. Instead of them being every so often though it can be everyday if I am not careful. Nausea has also become a factor here in the last few months. I'm really not sure what else to do to help with this. I have been following the brat diet also with little to no relief. It's unending. I read that chronic gastritis could lead into other potential problems over time. Since this is a daily problem now is that what it is? When I'm able to I plan on going to see a doctor to have it further checked out, but in the meantime, is there any other way to find relief? Also, my OB said I was going to have bloodwork done to check for H. Pylori, but I never heard anything back so I assumed it was negative.
I take Prilosec when I can, and otherwise I'll take either zantac 150 or Tagamet. Along with Maalox Advance. Of that I go through about a bottle a week, and I know that cannot be good in the long term. Any help would be appreciated.