Gastroenterology Community
Is this just IBS or recurring gastroenteritis?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I've been having typical IBS symptoms since I was a teenager. I'm now 25, and it wasn't up until a year ago that I finally went to a gastroenterologist. He did an endoscopy and determined that I suffer from IBS, a hiatal hernia and acid reflux. I was given Librax and put on a diet. Unfortunately, I stray from that diet and often suffer because of it.

My problem is, at the end January, I suffered from what seemed to be gastroenteritis. I had severe diarrhea, intense stomach cramps, vomiting, chills and a slight fever. My mother had it 2 weeks before I did so I assumed I got it from her. Then, at the end of February I had the same issues. The stomach pains were worst this time, but I didn't have the chills or a fever. Yesterday I wasn't feeling 100% well. I didn't feel sick, but I did have some slight stomach cramps and went to the bathroom more than usual. I assumed it was my IBS. Yet this morning I woke up and have literally been in and out of the bathroom 10 times with diarrhea. I feel a bit like my acid reflux is acting up, but no vomiting. I did go to a Mexican restaurant last night, which isn't exactly good for my IBS. No one else in my household has been sick for these past 2 illnesses or attacks.

My question is, does this seem like I'm just having severe IBS attacks? Can gastroenteritis keep coming back? I don't have health insurance but I may see a doctor anyway, because it doesn't seem normal to get so sick once a month, for the past 3 months. Also, it's not possible for me to be pregnant, since most people tend to ask me that.
I am having very similar problems. Mine started in February.  I have many other medical issues but not IBS. The pain starts in my upper abdomin (abdomen) and is usually pretty severe.  Shortly after that pain starts, i start dry heaving (can't vomit due to a necessary surgery I had years ago) then the diarrhea starts.  I usually have a low grade fever.  the first two times i have felt like i was gonna die (and i wished I had).  the next month (March), it lasted again 24 hours and I still wanted to die.  This time (April) it started right after i had my follow-up for a physical with my dr.  i left his office got in the car and the pain started. It took until the middle of the night for the naesea to start and the next day i didn't feel well but went to work anyway.  I left early because i felt sooo bad.  Then at about midnight the dry heaving and diarrhea started.  I am still sick today (Monday) and have stayed home from work. I'm going to the drs today at 3.  I shoulda went to the er I was in such misery but I could hardly stay out of the bathroom and I wasn't in any condition to get in a car.  anyhow, when i went to my doctor for my physical I asked him what the problem could be.  He said it was gastroentiritis.  I am going today, i will see what he tells me since the problem is happening now when I am going to see him.  I will let you know what he tells me.  hopefully it will be of some help to you.  I don't think it's normal either to have it every month.  no one else in the house (6 of us) or work have gotten sick and we have eaten the same thing most of the time so i can't figure out what could be.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers