Gastroenterology Community
Is waking up at night with the need to have a bowel movement abnormal?

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Last night, I went to bed around 2:00a.m and I woke up at 3:00a.m. with the feeling of needing to have a bowel movement. After using the bathroom I waited up awhile to see if I would need to go again, but nothing happened, and by 4:00a.m. I went  back to bed with no further problem. Is it unusual to be woken up by the urge to have a bowel movement? Does that point to something more serious? And if so, what? Thank you.
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  If this is happening every night, you might want to see your doctor about this.  However, if this only happens occationally then it is perfectly normal and there is nothing to worry about.