Gastroenterology Community
It's something to help ease the pain.

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

It's something to help ease the pain.

A drug with "Hyoscyamine". There are a few drug brands that use this and also in generic, works in partial amounts too but doesn't last as long, so you can take 1/4, 1/2, ect, tablets or melting tabs if you don't need the whole dose. It stops the cramps in their tracks for a few hours, the sharp pains. If you're getting a colonoscopy it might make it tolerable. I had no idea cramps could be that painful. I don't think my colonoscopy was so painful as much as the cramps caused from the colonoscopy. I wish I had this med during my colonoscopy. Not everyone will get cramps, not sure if cramps are rare. I don't know you may still need pain meds for a colonoscopy, I didn't have pain meds, should have. But this mostly non sedative drug "Hyoscyamine" really works well for the cramps. But not sure why they don't issue this drug before a colonoscopy, it kicks in with in a few minutes if you take under the tongue where you wouldn't need to swallow water, but would want to rinse out your dry mouth after with water. Could cause headache and dry mouth, I get headaches. So if you're having a colonoscopy and you have sharp pains ask the doctor to have this med in the room, you might just to ok if you prevent cramps. I don't plan on having another colonoscopy soon, but if anyone else is having a colonoscopy awake, you might ask not to be put out and try this drug with light pain killers, if it doesn't work, they can still put you out. This way you might not need to. So how much can cramps hurt? Like root canal with out novacaine. But you can get cramps from gas pain too. Either way this simple drug is able to shut off those cramps in me. I'm sharing this to try and help others.

If you get a colonoscopy and use this drug, please post if you had more than tolerable pain and needed pain meds. But if you're considering the procedure with out this med or pain meds, don't because if you get cramps from the inflation, it can feel like root canal. I have no idea why cramps can hurt so badly but in me at least they are easy enough to shut off. I hope this posts help you.

:-)