Gastroenterology Community
J and G Feeding Tubes

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

J and G Feeding Tubes

I have had stomach issues for my whole life. They have been getting worse over the last 10 years. I have severe stomach pain and am throwing up constantly. The doctors don't really know exactly what is wrong with me. The closest they can come is Gastroparesis. I get severely dehydrated all the time to the point of passing out. The doctors decided to put a J tube and a G tube into my stomach. One to feed with so I don't get dehydrated  and the other to release the pressure/throw up out of when I feel severe nausea. I had the procedure done on the 5th of October and on October 21st I felt like the feeding tube was getting loose. My roommate looked at it and thought it looked the same. I spent all day on Saturday October 22 in bed because I felt so sick. When my roommate came home she checked on me and my tube had fallen out. We rushed to the hospital and they tried to put it back in but the track had closed already. They scheduled me to go in for surgery on Thursday of the following week. I got the tube replaced. I am not sure exactly how the tube is supposed to heal. Is there anyone who has had these tubes who can let me know what to expect. The way the doctors explain it doesn't really make sense. The tube sites are oozing a lot is that something that goes away or will they always ooze.
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  I have a GJ tube.  One thing you can look into is getting a GJ tube as opposed to separate G and J tubes, but there are pros and cons to this.  It really depends on the person, but some people's stomas heal up quite nicely and some people continue to have problems like granulation tissue and other things.  The tube site will always ooze a little bit of mucus but there are pads you can buy to soak up the ooze.   Let me know if you have any other questions.