Gastroenterology Community
LPR swallowing problems

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

LPR swallowing problems

I was wondering if anyone out there with LPR suffers from swallowing problems.  I was diagnosed with gerds a year ago this weekend.  I was put on protonix, 1 x a day,  and I avoid all spicey foods, tomato products, caffeine, chocolate, and carbonated beverages.  In time, my symptoms seemed to improve, with bouts of relapses here and there.  The heartburn seems to be manageable, but I feel it all in my larynx, and this does not seem to be subsiding.  About 2 months ago, after having a very stressful week, I started having a new symptom.  It was as if part of my swallowing reflex had disappeared!  I would go to swallow, and it would seem as if my swallowing would hesitate a bit before proceeding wiht the reflux.  This scared the heck out of me and I went to the dr.  She then sent me for an upper gi (barrium and enhanced with crystals).  The results came back, and thankfully no tumors...The radiologist said that I have severe complete reflux, extending from lower esophageal sphincter into the upper esophageal sphincter.  I also have a hiatal hernia, and gastritis.  My dr changed my med from protonix to Nexium for one month, and also zoloft for anxiety and esophageal spasms, and I am to go back to her in  a few weeks for a follow up.
  In the meantime, the swallowing problem seemed to go away for awhile, and then comes back again.  She seems to think that the acid probably has damaged some soft tissue in my throat, and this is waht caused the swallowing problem.
  I have read about the "globus" sensations that alot of us get with gerds, and I do get that too, but this is a bit different, and I really dont see anyone else on here mentioning this as a symptom.  I also get plugged ears, and tightning in my throat espeially after eatting.  I do realize that stress makes this condition worse, so I wonder if it could be partially due to stress?
  I am mainly eatting soft foods right now and soups, because I am afraid of that impaired reflux feeling.  However, the last few times that I have experienced it, it does seem less severe than before.  I know that i have to give myslef time to heal, and I have to relax, but sometimes all these symptoms can be so scarey and so stressful.  Im hoping that someone out there reads this and can help put me at ease....I get scared sometimes.
Thanx,
Rose
It could be Schatzki's ring - thickening of the lower esophageal sphincter muscle. My husband had severe choking and regurgitation problems on eating meat. First moutful was fine, second mouthful got blocked and he would have to regurgitate what he had eaten in order to breathe. He saw my gastro and had an endoscopy which showed thickening of the l.e.muscle, and this was stopping the food going down. By doing the endoscopy, this widened that area, and he has no problems now. Sometimes surgery is necessary to scrape away some of the thickened muscle. You may wish to Google Schatzki's ring and see if the technial explanation correlates with your symptoms.

Liz.
I have had GERD for years but have been on a PPI. I am curr on Nexium. I have not had any heartburn or other classic symptoms but have had throat irritation and had the same issue with feeling like I couldn't start to swallow. Then I am fine. This was starting to happen daily, numerous times. With food and drink I was ok. I have always seemed to have a post nasal drip. My allergist thought it could be allergies so he put me on nasonex. After 2 weeks the swallowing issue cleared up however now I feel like I have irritation in my Larynx. I told my doctor about it and it sometimes feels like breathing is becoming an effort and tightness in my throat. He sent me to an ENT. The ENT looked down my throat past my voicebox. He said the vocal cords had irritation and it looks like LPR. I have been cutting back on coffee and chocolate but feel like it's moving into my chest. At least a few times a day it becomes very noticeable then eases up. Not sure if it's irritated from the acid. Also sleeping with head of bed elevated. I go back to the ENT in 3 weeks.
Almost 1 year ago I had similiar problems.  I had LPR, a constant sore throat and globus sensation.  I also had trouble swallowing.  Food just seemed to stick.  The anxiety didn't help any.  Just try to calm down and keep taking your meds.  I know its eaiser said than done but getting upset will make it so you can't eat at all.  I know it happened to me.  But, that part of it got bette for me and I was able to eat again in a few months. Stay on your meds, watch your diet and stay away from NSAIDS, I think I recently really hurt my stomach with them.  

Hope you feel better soon.