LUQ pain s/p lap chole 20 yrs dilated hepatic ducts
I am a 48 yr old female s/p laproscopic cholecystectomy 20 yrs ago. I twice had sx of severe LUQ pain after my surgery- once thought to be a retained stone and the second in response to being given tylenol with codeine after an injury. I have since never experienced severe pain, but over the past 10 years have had colicy, intermittent LUQ pain sometimes radiating to my back. An upper endoscopy aprox 10 yrs ago revealed an enlarged /ampulla of Vader and sm hiatal hernia, but was otherwise unremarkable. My discomfort has not increased in severity, but has in frequency. I have been to a gastroenterologist who ordered lab work inc LFTs, all of which was WNL. Physical exam was unremarkable. No tenderness on palpation, ect. I have not experienced wt loss, fevers, jaundace or itching. I went for an MRCP which did not indicate sphincter of oddi dysfunction as she suspected, but did reveal dilated hepatic ducts which seemed to concern her and which prompted her to order an MRI of my liver with contrast which is pending. Do you think this could be related to my past surgery? Hopefully I will receive some good news after my imaging next wk, however in the meantime I am diagnosing myself with every type of malignancy imaginable courtesy of the internet!
Hi, you must be meaning RUQ pain, as the gallbladder is situated there not LUQ. If you are not jaundiced at present, its unlikely that there is an obstruction which is causing your symptoms. If the pain is due to a problem from the liver like hepatitis, you should have associated symptoms like nausea and vomiting. Are you an alcoholic? Hopefully the MRCP will throw, more light on your problem. In the meantime a hepatitis panel may help diagnose an infective cause for the pain. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance. Regards.