Gastroenterology Community
Lack of bowel movements for 6 days.

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Lack of bowel movements for 6 days.

I have not been able to have a solid bowel movement in 6 days. it has been accompanied by extreme  spots of pain and urges to go to the bathroom. When i do try and go, all i seem to be passing is a Mucas looking substance and very little stool(diahrrea). i feel very bloated and constantly full even though i am eatng very little because it gives me the urge to go but nothing comes out. I have been taking a prescribed stool softener and Dulcolax from my recent doctor visit. Neither seems to work. Im in alot of pain, and have never had this happen before. any ideas on what this could be or how i could fix it? the doctor told me to keep trying the dulcolax  and see what happens. he then told me its not like he can fish anything out, it "has to make its way out on its own"
You need to go to your Gastroenterologist immediately. It sounds like you have a blockage.
Did you talk to the Dr about a enema talk to him see if it OK, give him a call did you could also ask him about taking mom (milk of magnesium) if he say it is OK to use and they do not work then you you need to see him something more serious can be going on a ct scan or other test will need to be done it could be a blockage or you are really backed up.
I keep Dulcolax, 5 mg, on hand if I need a laxative. I take 3 tablets at once. A full glass of liquid is required, whether water, juice, cola. I get relief in 5 to 6 hours.

I can pass along a remedy that worked for me. I have never gone 6 days without a bowl movement, so what I tried on myself may not be strong enough to really give you relief. I suggest your buying 2 Fleet's mineral-oil enemas, and 1 Fleet's regular enema. I was able to get a partial bowel movement after taken the 3 enemas. If you get a partial BM, Ducolax may help more than in the past. Try Dulcolax one more time. After injecting the enemas, lie down on your bed and raise you butt in the air like shown on the enema package. This position allows the enemas to move up your colon a foot or two. Hold on for 2 or 3 minutes before going to the toilet.

The next procedure is one I tried on myself twice in 20 years. This procedure may sound repugnant, but if you have not been successful with other methods of bowel movement, maybe it is worth trying. Use or buy disposal gloves and a small bottle of mineral oil at the pharmacy. Add some mineral oil to the gloved fingers and insert your two fingers into your rectum. Pushing down on your stomach muscles, one or two hard bowels may push against your rectum. Grab a hard bowel with your fingers and thrumb begin crushing the bowel over and over. This procedure may need to be repeated several times. Use your judgement whether you have had any luck breaking-up the bowel, and choose whether to apply another enema. Usually there is one large bowel that is blocking your rectum, and if you can reduce the size of the bowel, maybe you can remove other hard bowels. Save the plastic bottle that the mineral-oil enema came in and use the mineral oil you purchased to repeat at will the mineral-oil enema. Hard bowels can cut your rectum trying to get out, so be careful not to cut your rectum.

I wonder why doctors never suggest radical ways to remove clogged bowels? I hope you get relief.

Harrald.
If this is a relatively new problem, it needs attention from a gastro doc.  Don't wait.  This is going on too long.