Gastroenterology Community
Lactose Intolerance Test Wrong?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Lactose Intolerance Test Wrong?

Almost two years ago I was diagnosed with Celiacs. After going Gluten-Free, almost all of my symptoms were gone within a few weeks. I continued to have some stomach troubles, and was given the Hydrogen Breath Test since Lactose Intolerance is fairly common with Gluten problems, but it came up negative. My digestive upset was diagnosed as IBS, a sort of medical shrug.

Now that my diet it stable, I have noticed that I have the most awful, disgusting, rotten-smelling gas. My daily diet is extremely healthy, with good amounts of protein, fruits and vegetables, and calcium. I get at least two or three servings of dairy a day, through yogurt, milk, and cheese. Everybody gets gas, but there is no reason my colon should smell like something's died there.

I know the Hydrogen Breath Test is extremely accurate in most cases for Lactose Intolerance. But I have heard that a few individuals do not have the proper bacteria to create hydrogen at all. Could I have given a false negative on this test? (They actually sent me home before the whole 5 hours were up, because I wasn't having a reaction.) Is there another test I could take, or should I try taking dairy out of my diet and see what happens?

If this seems unlikely, are there any better explanations for my gas problems?
For many celiac's it's not the lactose that bothers them, it's the casein in the diary - the major protein. In addition to reacting to gluten, they cross-react to casein. You may have to discontinue dairy completely to see a change. Check with enterolab.com and look into their casein test.
Taking all dairy out of your diet is much easier than taking all gluten out of your diet.  You only need to try it for about 2 weeks to know if that's the problem.  I would recommend cutting all dairy out of your diet to see if it helps. It could explain your gas problems.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers