Gastroenterology Community
Lactose Intolerant

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Lactose Intolerant

I just had the hydrogen breath test done yesterday and tested positive for lactose intolerance, since drinking the lactose drink I have had loose bowels and terrible rumbling and noises in my stomach along with major gas, it awakened me this morning at 7 with the need to move my bowels. It this still after effects of the drink for the test and will it subside?  I have IBS/C along with gastroparesis and very rarely do I have diarrhea except for those occasions when I have explosive bowel movements after taking amitza or mirilax at times.  I did take a lactaid pill and was wondering if that could cause the diarrhea in some people.  Thank you for your time and expertise.
Mary
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  Yes, this is probably due to the lactose that you were given during the test, just like how milk can give people diarrhea.  However, most doctors will rarely do the hydrogen breath test anymore because having the patient just eliminate all lactose from their diet to see if it helps, works just fine.
Thank You.  The loose bm have stopped and I am back to being constipated.  If the lactose can give you diarhea (diarrhea) why don't I get it on a regular basis if I am lactose intolerant?
It might be because they gave you more lactose than you usually consume.