Lap Nissen
I have had severe stomach discomfort for 30 years. I've always been able to treat this with anti-acid prescription med like Prilosec. For the last 7 years nothing has helped except Prevacid. After a recent endoscopy, my local surgeon told me I had a very large hiatal hernia and that my stomach was raw and that my medicine was not doing anything. He has scheduled a lap nissen. Question:  Is this procedure for decreasing acid production????  If not, I can't see having it done. Secondly, after all I have read, the procedure is not a very good one. Has ANYONE had good come from this procedure?
A Nissen fundoplication does nothing to decrease stomach acid.  In a nutshell, the surgeon takes a part of the top of the stomach and wraps it around the lower esophogus as a physical barrier to prevent the stomach contents from going back up the esphogus.  

My husband considered the surgery after being diagnosed with Barrett's Esophogus a few years ago, but meds have stopped further progression of the disease - for now.  He was also lucky enough to consult with the surgeon who first developed the laparascopic procedure - a true expert - so we learned a great deal in that process.  

Only you and your doctor know how bad your esophagus really is, but after all these years on meds and still having such severe problems, the surgery is sounds like somthing you should seriously consider.  Make sure you ask your doctor about success and failure rates in his own practice.  And remember, much of what you'll find on the internet will be bad outcome stories.  Most people don't bother with posting the good ones because they're out living their lives again.  :-)