Gastroenterology Community
Laparoscopic cholecystectomy - Unexplained Nocturnal Abdominal Pain

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I had a Laparoscopic cholecystectomy July 2008. Four days after surgery I woke up in the middle of the night with gnawing abdominal pain. Something I hadn't experienced before. The next two nights it got progressively worse to where I had to go to ER. After 4 milligrams of morphine the pain still wouldn't go away. After 2 milligrams of Dilaudid it finally went away. Once the pain was under control the did a CT scan and found nothing and sent me home. Over the next three weeks my specialist gave me different pain killers, H2 blockers. Nothing worked, so they readmitted me back into hospital to find small bile leak and went to place stent and preformed ERCP. I woke up from that with the same horrible pain. After some tests, they found I had pancreatitis. After a week in the hospital they assured me I was ok and sent me home. I was pain free for 4 weeks. On the fifth week it started again and they removed the stint. I was pain free for three days then it started again. The pain didn't seem to get severe enough to send me to the ER but it is bad enough. For the last two years I have gone to sleep every night only to awake a few hours later with the same gnawing pain in the mid-line area. It is relieved by eating something and stretching and bending into awkward positions only to repeat every one to two hours. I have every test done (MRI, endoscopy, wireless capsule, colonoscopy, upper GI, EUS, allergy testing etc). I have been on 25 different medications (H2 blockers, antispasmodics, PPI's nerve pain medication, etc) and still nothing. I actually received a clean bill of health and currently on no medications (since none work). I do have an appointment with a group of research physicians at the medical university next month but wondered if anyone has had anything similar or suggestions. The following below are my symptoms:

Nocturnal Gnawing Abdominal pain in the mid-line area also happens during day on empty stomach
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers