Large intestine pain (?)
Hi Everyone!

About three months ago, I had a particularly difficult BM and strained hard until it was released.  I was okay for about two weeks, but then developed a debilitating pain / severe ache in the large intestine area of my right side (lower right quadrant of my thorax).  I know it could be a sprained intestinal wall, but after more than two months. you'd think it would have healed, right? I had good results from a colonoscopy three years ago.  And all BMs have been relatively normal, except when I take too much codeine for my arthritis pain.  I have a daughter-in-law with chronic colitis, so I'm more concerned than the "average bear".  Maybe the straining of the wall was just a coincidence, and it could have exacerbated another condition.  Is there anything else it could be?  Any ideas you may have would be most welcome.  Thanks All! ~~~ Roxana

Hey Roxana!

Well, without knowing the relevant clinical details or a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Assuming its lower right quadrant of the abdomen and not thorax, possibilities that may need to be considered include GI/ GU infections, inflammations, trauma/ injuries, growths/ masses, neuro-muscular causes etc. Thoracic discomfort could be related to causes related to the GI tract/ liver/ GB, causes related to the chest wall/ respiratory tract etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by an internist initially and depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected, it can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thank you so much DrKaul.