Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy surgery after fissure your experiencecs?
Has anyone had a chronic fissure that was treated by surgery. Please tell me your experiences (good or bad) after surgery. After the surgery how long did you have unbearable pain.
I need to undergo this surgery as well and your responses will give help me a lot.
Is your anus cut open with the LIS?  I'm so scared. Thinking about surgery but scared of pain and incontinence. Thanks so much.
I had my LIS almost 4 weeks ago, i got to tell you the first couple weeks were rough, The Dr well place a Drainage plug in your anal cavity, do not remove it it is there to prevent clots, mine lasted for 4 days and i had to take it out.

The First couple movements are painfull i cant lie about it, however i know it is Gross, go to your Home Medical Supply and get a Sitz Bath basin, fill with Hot water as much as ur bottom can stand it, sit in the water for a few minutes, TRUST ME it well help, remember to Breathe and dont push.

i dealt with Pain for 2 weeks then one day no pain at all, thats been 2 weeks ago, Life is wonderful again,   there well be alot of Drainage, Yellow and Orange color and with Blood, it is normal and well start to Lessen in 2 to 3 Weeks.

Guys and Gals, Please Don't Be afraid of this Surgery, it literally is a Godsend, i hope everyone has a Speedy Recovery time just hang in there.
They do make a small incision on the side of the Rectum where the fissure is, on that side they well make a small cut on the Sphincter, depending on the fissure's size they well suture it up.

please i well help everyone if i can with support on this, if you have a Question please email me at ***@****.   trust me this surgery is a godsend
I had anal fissures and got Botox injected about 3 years ago. Everything was great and had no reoccurrence until now. I am thinking of getting the LIS. Has anyone had Botox injections and then had LIS? Does LIS stop reoccurrence forever? Thank you
The cream is what's making you feel 90% better. You could try nifedipene prescription as well...  it might make you feel 100% better.  But following your advice and eating nothing but apples will hinder the healing process. Apples do not have every nutrient needed for a person to survive...   anyone that follows "to the T" will eventually get really sick, wither, and die...   with a very painful death because their fissure will have gotten horribly worse and every other digestive organ in their body will be hurting and failing due to eating only apples.
After reading the comments on this thread I went in for the ILS surgery with high hopes of a quick recovery. I had been dealing with an anal fissure for over a year - caused during a routine colonoscopy. The fissure did not respond to any conventional treatments.

I am now one week post surgery and I can't concur with most of the comments on the post surgery experience. I have had excrutiating pain since day one, that is slightly mitigated by the drugs, but since narcotics cause constipation I am afraid to medicate too heavily. In addition to the ILS the doctor repaired two small hemorroid/skin tags. so there are quite a few stitches. Every bowel movement, hard or soft has been brutally painful with associated bleeding. The idea that I would be functioning and back to a full work schedule within a week was ludicrous. As much as I wanted to get past the nightmare of the fissure, if I knew what I was up for with this recovery I'm not sure I would have signed up for surgery. My experience seems atypical according to this thread - but - be forewarned - not all recoveries are as easy as described. This surgery should include several days hospitalization in my opinion. Moving around in my case is very painful and I constantly need ice packs, liquids, help getting into a sitz bath, etc.  Argh. I am hoping for relief soon.
Thanks for your post... I'm not alone! : ) Although your experience seems much tougher than most comparatively speaking… I can sort of identify.  My recovery is not so severe as yours, I'm 2 wks post surgery and doing better (less daily pain medication).  I cannot fathom resuming a "normal" routine for at least another week, maybe two.  I’m the person whose pain meds expire so I’m pretty tough.  I believe I’ll finish these meds and need a refill when all is said and done.  Regardless, I’m glad I had the surgery even knowing the recovery is much harder than I anticipated.  I’m certain the end result (no pun intended) is shaping up to be the answer/relief I was hoping for.  
Hi Guys,

I had my fissure surgery exactly 7 days back, i have a bit of swelling and lil pain, also while i am sitting or lying some poop comes out and this happens almost all day long since i have had surgery, is this normal???? plz plz reply
Had LTS 2 months ago and it looks like I am lucky enough to be the 1%! I have not healed. Silver nitrate twice now due to granulation tissue and within a day.... Bleeding again! Not to mention a very difficult time with passing gas, having bowel movements, or sitting for more than an hour. I have a constant ( but very slow) bleed! Having to wear incontinence pads 2 months after! Any advice or help would be great!
Hi there AFS (anal fissure sufferes) i am a 44  year old  male. I have been suffering from a fissure for 2 years now and i dont think i need to mention the pain and life changing event that it has caused me.
I have just had the LIS opperaton done yesterday and am so excited about having my life back. Due to my heat condition i did not have a general anestetic but rather a epidural which i must say is they way to go. After the spinal injection i could immediately feel a warm sensation down my lower back and then suddenly my anal mussels just relaxed and for the first time in 2 years i felt no pain, no pressure down there. It was heaven. The surgeon took about 15 minutes and that was it. After he finished he came over to me and told me that in 21years that was the worst AF he had ever see. It was so deep that the muscle was visible, and why did i take 2 years to do the procedure. Well its day 1 and there is no need for pain killers still have not had a BM yet. I am sure it will not be that bad. It seem like we are our own worst enemy in this never ending circle of pain.
I believe that with the correct mind set we can beat this monster. We fear BM thus delaying it as much as possible which in turn causes constipation and reopening of the fissure.  We need to accept and understand our condition and then do the correct things and all will be well again.
1. Soft stools are very important. Do not put them off.
2. Diet change will only do you a world of good anyway.
3. Dont wait or fell embasased about talking to or seeing someone about this. The longer you take the longer the suffering.

I cant wait for the days when i look forward to a good old poop again.

So i wish you all a speedy recovery and a healthy new life.

I had LIS surgery about 6 days ago , the first 2 days SUCKKKEDDDD. I didn't pass stool until the 3rd day, which wasn't so much painful as uncomfortable . The only pain I really have is tightening my sphincter muscle after passing stool but other than that things have been okay . Of course after every bowel movement I always follow up with a sits bath then use the shower head to rinse up there .. Just to be sure it's clean . My question is that is it normal that I have been passing stool like 3 or 4 times A DAY ? Lol that has to be a good thing right ? Good luck to everyone who has had this surgery and just remember to keep it clean .
hey mina, i have the same problem as you, despite eating all the 'right foods', my stools are hard at times. how are feeling nowdays? was that surgery worth it/
i'm considering LIS, my fissure is way too much after almost two years.
hope you're doing better. i haven't had the surgery, but thinking about it; and pain, yes, something i can totally relate to; unbearable. any changes in your health, did you have to keep looking for another cure?
Please go ahead with the surgery... I RECOMMEND evry single one of you with this minor surgery... I was the one who was checking and googling all day long regarding anal fissure and its treatment. I was soooo much scared with the word surgery and the side effect that may cause after surgery.. I almost had 1 and half month of pain in my anal during every morning BM...(the pain was like sooo worse..i never ever had such pain in my life tym before...I was so sorry for myself.. I had really long hard time ...Its been 5 dayz today with my surgery and believe me its a heaven like relief..I feel like i am finally in a happy-la-la-land..... but today morning i had hard BM... but with lil pain and burn (but i trurly trust this is caused becoz i had a chicken last night and lil unhealthy diet...) TRUST me ppl, anual fissure pain can be removed only wid surgery.. I have Nitroglycerin for almost month with sitz bath, but didnt work out ...I use to have painkiller each day after BM ...it woz hard for me to sit in office chair fo long...(God was soo mean to give me such a terrible pain ) ...But again God gifted me a doctor advise and Finally with lotds of fare went for surgery....life is getting back to normal like before..and i wish it continues good.. I pray for all of you and suggest to go for surgery like MDUA or LIS if ur fissure is not healing....

Life is beautiful.... god bless all of us.
I have a 3 month old and I'm experiencing everything you posted. I saw the surgeon yesterday and he says I need to have the surgery - it is not going to heal with out it. I'm very scared but reading your post helped me feel better. The surgery is scheduled for this coming Monday (3 days away).
thanks
Hope your surgery went well - i wrote a description of my situation under a new thread and if anyone is not sure what to expect or just wants to hear another story to see if yours is similar then check it out - 2013 Anal Fissure - Lateral internal sphincterotomy
I had the surgery 6 days a go and was in the hospital for 1 day, when I woke up I was getting dilaudid every 4 hours and in between lortab/hydrocodon. I was in constant pain and didn't sleep that night, every time I moved i would moan in pain, my sphincter would contract often and it would hurt really bad! I was leaking blood and the nurse kept changing the bad on my bed. The doctor left gauze in my rectum and said it would dissolve but it was painful and uncomfortable.  When I got home i laid down the first day mostly on my stomach. The 2nd day home I walked around, drove my car but when sitting up right for extended periods it would start to throb! 3rd day I felt a little better until my first bowl movement in 4 days, i had been taking stool softeners so it was soft but when it came out it was unbearable i shook, cried, moaned loudly and crawled to the bathroom to soak in water, the pain unbearable pain lasted 30-45 minutes and then just constant pain and contractions for hours, i can barley walk and when i move sharp severe pain. I then lay on my stomach for 4 - 5 hours. by the afternoon i can walk and only certain movements or a contraction will bring a sharp severe pain that last seconds. Day 7, i just had a bowl movement the pain isn't as bad as the first two bowl movements on days 3, 4. yesterday day 6 and today day 7 is about the same. This is much worse then the issues/fissure before the surgery. I'm wearing adult depends pull ups because blood is leaking through anything i wear and on to the couch and bed. last night i leaked so much the blood went through my diper and unto the bed. The doctor said it's normal and this will last two weeks. Why don't we get infections from waste going over fresh wounds??? i hope this works because i can't go through this again and I just want to have a movement without pain! anyone else have these issues?
I'm really sorry to hear you had such a difficult experience!

I wanted to jump online to share some advice after my fairly positive experience of having a LS just over six months ago, as I looked up several forums before deciding to have surgery and frankly found many stories quite frightening.I am a healthy female in my early 30s. I had a single fissure which i'd been putting up with for over a year, and had been misdiagnosed as a haemaroid by two GPs before I finally got to see a colorectal specialist who recommended the LS procedure. I'm glad I got it, and I wish there had of been more constructive information and advice available to me. So....

Firstly, I recommend to anyone having these kinds of problems - START INCREASING THE FIBRE DIET RIGHT NOW. Do it gradually, to avoid discomfort, and drink plenty of water. But regardless of whether you are healthy, struggling with a fissure, or recovering from the surgery, having a high fibre diet is going to improve your situation immensely. The worst thing is to have a hard or very soft BM after surgery - so get straight back into healthy high fibre eating, plenty of water and a gentle laxative so the system can heal. I increased the fibre in my diet after booking in for surgery. By the time I went to hospital only a few weeks later, the fissure had begun to heal enough that the Dr decided it was unnecessary to do an additional procedure to seal it (saving me some money and unnecessary intervention).

Secondly, ensure you see a well-respected colon specialist and go to a quality hospital if you can. I suspect the quality of care you get before and after this procedure can make a big difference to your recovery. I had a general anaesthetic for the procedure. Insist on getting pain medication and laxatives from the hospital post-surgery. I had surgery in the morning, was home by the afternoon, and even managed to go out for a healthy Japanese meal that night. I had no trouble with my first BM. I felt delicate, bled a bit for about 2 days, and took about 4 days off work for the procedure and recovery. My hospital offered post-operative support, and I had follow up appointments booked with the specialist.

Thirdly, do expect full recovery to take about a month. I found the specialist hopeless in terms of discussing what recovery would be like. The internet was not much help either. My experience is that the first week is uncomfortable (sharp pain in rectum, but not so bad I couldn't do anything I wanted to). Before surgery I had stocked up on products to help my recovery - liquid soap and soft sponge for the shower, wet wipes, pain killers, pads and Metamucil. I started to feel much better after 1 week, but it took about 4 weeks to really feel 'well', though you should understand you won't feel 'back to normal' or the way you were before - the surgery changes the muscle structure of your rectum, so it's a one-way change that relieves the problem by changing your body, if you get what I mean.

Thirdly, something no one explains to you is how going to the toilet changes after the LS. My experience is that it can be difficult to get a 'clean finish' after a BM, and toilet paper can really aggrevate the area badly. These days I always have a discreet pack of wet wipes at home and in my bag. Check that the product is flushable - binning them isn't practical and you don't want the embarrassment of blocking the plumbing. Avoid cheap nasty babywipes, they are rough. There's a good range of feminine wipe products available at chemists/supermarkets, but I'm not sure what's out there for the guys - perhaps there's a surgical/hospital product you could order.

Fourth, do tell your close friends and family about what you're going through. It's excellent for a good laugh, and people really are very understanding. My partner was great support to me, through this very unsexy experience. My best friend also chose to come stay with us so that I had company while at home after the surgery. After months of putting up with the pain and inconvenience of the fissure, it was a relief to be able to talk about the issue - and you'll probably find out that you're not the only one with this problem!

I hope this post helps people regain their quality of life shortly after having this procedure. Just remember, there are things you can do before and after that will make the experience smoother - don't expect this to be an instant fix and do think about permanently increasing fibre in your diet, as it has heaps of health benefits, not just related to your digestion either!

I had my first sphincerectomy 2 years ago after horrible fissure pain causing anal spasm, this worked for a couple of months and boom pain again, I was so hopelessly depressed and visited my surgeon again only for him to tell me it didn't work properly, I went in for my 2nd sphincerectomy surgery this time lasting 6 months with general upkeep high fibre diet and loads of water, pain began again, I have been suffering a while now and am at breaking point.. Nobody understands properly unless its happening to oneself.. I'm now hesitant whether a 3rd surgery is again not going to work and in turn create more scar tissue.. Has anybody been through this horrific roller coaster and what did u do? :,-(
I had this surgery in December of 1999. Before that I had drips of bright red blood on and off for 10 years I believe. I went to a couple of doctors inbetween that time that just had me use *** cream. I think one was called Corticaid.
Anyway the last doc I went to in 1999 explained to me this option.
In my case he took donor tissue from higher up on the *** crack just below the top of the crack. He used that to fill in the area that he cut into the sphincter muscle. The fissure healed fine. The issue I'm having is the donor area. It took a year for it to heal and the doctor said that was normal. It's now 2013 and I would say for about the last few years I've been having itchy and dry/sore issues with the donor area. It's like a permanent deep wrinkle there that won't heal up totally. It's a chronic issue now with itching and soreness. I'm worried it will turn into some kind of cancer.
(Also had a period of anal leakage a couple of years ago which would cause itching right in the bunghole that has seemed to clear up)
...funny thing about the whole thing above is that when the drops of bright red blood in the toilet would happen(right after a BM) with my fissure I never felt pain or discomfort.
I live in UK.  Have had a chronic fissure for 5 years off and on but on for about 2 years.  Saw own GP - rubbish but eventually seen by colorectal surgeon at the hospital I work at.  He prescribed Normacol (stool softener) and at least 2 litres of water per day plus other drinks.  For a short time this worked.  Then on to Diltiazem cream.  On Friday 13th December had fissurectomy and botox.  Three weeks post op and still feeling pretty miserable.  I dont understand all the wonderful comments about how amazing the surgery is.  I was in agony after the surgery for days and although the pain is much better I still dread going to the toilet and have terrific pain for a few hours after.  I have follow up appt on 17th Feb and hoping that by then the pain will have diminished.  I was very bruised after surgery and have a sentinel tag and since fissurectomy another small tag.  I look a mess down there.  I think in the UK we do things differently.  No anaesthetic cream to apply (I had to ask for it), use paracetamol and ibuprofen (basic pain killers) and drink plenty.  That sums up my treatment.  I just wondered if this will get better or am I destined to live with this chronic pain.  It does affect my life - my poor husband has to put up with my moaning daily and it does make me pretty miserable.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks. KK
Hi CS,
I am doing my surgery on Friday and I too am very nervous...
I know you posted this a long time ago...what has your experience been since the surgery?
What preparations did you have to make prior to surgery and what did you experience post-surgery?
Looking forward to hearing from you!
Thanks,
Nishy
Hey I just had my surgery on Friday December 28, 2013 and this surgery has been alot tougher than I though.  I'm on day 13 and I go for my post op tomorrow and I am trying to be optimistic but worried.  I have been laying on my stomach/side since the surgery as I have been in pain.  The bowel movements are the worse.  Even though I take the stool softeners and have soft stools, its the excruciating pain of pushing the BM out.  I am often sweating and have to stand over the sink afterwards to regain my strength which takes about fifteen twenty minutes and then I get immediately in the tub to take a warm sitz bath.  I'm starting to get depressed as I expected to go back to work last week but here we are going into week three and the pain from the BM aren't better.  The pain lasts for hours too.  This is worse than the pain of the Fissure.  I just pray and hope things get better.  SOON!!!
My after surgery experience is very similar to you. It's already a week after the surgery and I still can't sit and a lot of pain through the day, especially after BM. Could you please share how long it took for you to get pain free?
GS
I hope you are pain free by now because your story sounds like mine. I need something to look forward to. I had my surgery on Feb 21 and stayed in the hospital for a week for pain management. It was excruciating.  I had a stomach virus Aug 2013. Constant diarrhea. Had pain after that but thought it would go away. It got worse. Finally I went to a colon/rectal specialist at the beginning of Feb 2014.  He said I had an anal fissure and needed surgery. He also said he was going to do a sphincterectomy. I didnt question it because I wanted to put my trust in his 29 years experience. I did mention bowel control after fooling with the sphincter muscles. He said dont worry.  I read that surgery on the muscle is a last resort for "chronic fissures." I didnt have that.  I never had trouble with constipation or using the bathroom. It was a freak thing from the three week virus. Well almost two weeks since surgery and I am still in pain but my number one concern and worry is the urge to push. I cannot relax my bottom area. I want to believe it is from swelling that may still be there but I am worried that the now cut muscle is weak. I took laxative and stool softener. I have been on a liquid diet. I think I am pretty well cleaned out but still have the urge to push.  Does anyone else have that and will it go away?
Hi all,
I'm a 22 year old female and have had an anal fissure for a year.
i just really want to say thank you for all the comments because it really helped me make my decision for surgery. Today is the 5th day after my surgery and I just had another BM (3 since my surgery, none for first two days thankfully haha).. It was painful but it just felt more sore after the BM was done. The spasming and shocks are not really there anymore. The achingness does make you want to lay om your side though. I did have blood in my stool but iT has been fading. So just hang in there, I have my post appt tomorrow and I am just hoping this all goes well. the surgery was pretty easy and honestly it was a lot easier than what I thought it would be, thankful for general anastesia... Didnt need pain meds, just ibuprofen after a BM for rhe soreness.. Try not to retract or clench when you have your BM too especially bc we are probBly used to it by having the spasms were used to haha, just relaxed and try to think its normal again, because it is easier to go :)

Dont be scared to get the sphincterotomy and dont be scared atwhatever age you are, this is very common, hang in there and dont live withthe pain...

Thank u once again for all the comments everyone, blessings to u all..
Also if u have constipation bc of this, try chia seeds in ur water, i heard theyre great :) i asked someone whi had this and now they go regularly 2x a day :)

I will add a few weeks from now on progress :)

I was reading on the web regarding anal fissure surgery and I came across your post. I too got my AF as a result of child birth 14 months ago. I basically have had the same experience as you. I'm trying to decide whether or not to do the LIS and fearing that it would create more problem. Could you please give me an update as how you are doing now? Are you still pain free?
Please please write back to me as I am reaching the end of the line with this pain :(
For any information regarding fissures, check out this website.

http://anal-fissure.org
I have the same problem.  I had the surgery for the fissure 2 weeks ago and most of the pain is gone.  However that throbbing pain after a movement lasts for hours.  It makes walking or sitting a problem.
I have the same problem.  I had the surgery for the fissure 2 weeks ago and most of the pain is gone.  However that throbbing pain after a movement lasts for hours.
How are you feeling now? Does the surgery worked well?
Hey all
I also suffered with anal fissure for around a year now, and after being stuck at home for months due to severe pain after BM and bong unable to Siri decide to go for LIS as advised by two Dr.s
It's almost a week after I had the surgery and like most people it wasn't as bad as I expected.
Actually the pain is far less than b4 the surgery.
My worst part was removing the dressing after the operation, but that was due to unclear instructions from the Dr. And misleading nurses!!
My real problem now is with BM
I'm mostly constipated and lately have been using laxatives but sometimes that doesn't make me go every day.
Yesterday I had to strain during BM and felt that this caused the incisin to widen a bit.
I hope not to suffer again tmw and I am unfortunately unable to eat enough fibers so I am looking for any fiber supplements if any one can advise
I guess I'm blessed. When it comes to the LIS surgery and the days after, I've had no pain at all. Like HebaG said, the instructions of changing of the dressing was ambiguous at best. One instruction states "Keep it dry" the other one "Take a shower before applying new dressing" Seriously? Look, the bottom line (no pun intended) is that everybody's different and every case is not the same. I thank God that everything went just fine, however just relax. Going through with surgery was the right thing to do for me, and it probably will be for you too. I research my Doc's credentials and she's rated one of the best in Arizona. One of the top ten in the country. Do your homework and have some faith.
Just wanted to share my experience. I developed an anal fissure in October 2013 after a weekend of bad eating and terrible constipation. The pain was off the charts, easily an 11 on a scale of 1 to 10. I couldn't sit down without searing pain. And when I saw the blood, I freaked and went to a colorectal specialist. Long story short: he prescribed .2% nitroglycerin ointment, which I applied twice daily. After a few months, the pain went away. But when I threw my back out earlier this year, it came back -- and according to the doctor, in the same place too. I tried the ointment again and it improved after several months, but never went away completely. The doctor said that he's never seen it go away when it's stuck around for this long.

I bit the bullet and had the surgery. I was put under full anesthesia and I was in and out of the surgery room in about an hour. The doctor said that the procedure itself takes about 15 minutes. For a day after the surgery, my sphincter was completely numb and I couldn't feel it or use it (a really unsettling feeling). So I couldn't even have a bowel movement. After about a day, the feeling slowly came back and I had my first real bowl movement the day after the surgery. It hurt, but nothing like the pain of the fissure. I'd say it was a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10. There was some pain until Sunday. And now a week later, I have minimal pain -- really it's more like discomfort.

I went to a very well-respected surgeon (head of the Colorectal Department at a major hospital here in Los Angeles) who said he's done thousands of these surgeries and that side effects like incontinence are nothing to worry about. I'm glad I had the procedure done and can recommend it to anyone who is dealing with this immense pain.
I am trying to decide whether or not to have the laternal sphincterotomy. My anal fissure is controlling my life and I am miserable. The pain almost takes my breath away.  I am indecisive because I am concerned about the matter of incontinence afterwards. I don't want to lose control of gas or bm's. Who can share some light on this aspect of the surgery?
To arspoetica01,

I just had surgery 4 days ago. I had a couple of bowel movements since then which caused some pain but nothing compared to the pain I had before surgery! I highly recommend the LIS surgery. The risk of incontinence is very low. Find yourself a good colon surgeon.
Hi I had my surgery on 1/30/15 and today is my 7th day into this.  My life revolves around when I have a bm and if I am able to have a clean finish.  I am now taking  Ibuprofen 600 every six hours and percocet only as needed, fiber, stool softners and pleanty of h2o but am wondering if the softeners are making the bm too soft  and thats why I am not able to get the entire bm out. I will think I'm done but will stll have this piercing burn on my rectum due to the residual stool remaining inside and burning the healing wound.  I know this sounds gross but what really helped me was to buy a sitz bath filling it with as hot water as I could bare comfortably and when I felt the urge I would have my bm in the sitz bath, I'm not proud of it and it is embarrasing but I am letting you know if you can stomach the clean up it is a lifesaver when it comes to the pain.  It not only relaxed my butt to be able to release the bm the water also lessened the burn.  I have  cleaning wipes in the restroom for cleaning up the sitz bath between uses.. rinseing it well, it didn't take me long to have a routien down.  I also purchased the summers eve cleansing wipes that I rinse with the hot water to get the fragrance out and use them soaked to clean up, I like them cause they are stronger but you can't flush them.  The part of my recovery that scares me is that I can feel the opening of the wound when I wipe and still have the burn from the discharge.  The nurse said to use desitin between bm's but i haven't bought any yet to see if that helps.  Review of my 1st seven days post surgery....day 1 -slept all day no pain (no bm).  Day 2 -no pain felt great, slept a lot (no bm). Day 3 - pain like I had a migrain in my butt pressure and burning pain level 7-8 took percocet, stool softner (1st bm) wowsers burning burning hard stool from anestisia and percocets pain level 11 what did I get myself into???  Took percocet every 4 hours lots of water,fiber, and took stool softner every 12 hours one at 6am one at 6pm. Slept between eating soup or yougurt with benifiber added, and my bm's  that ended with spasms that made me feel I wasnt finished and forced me to push hard with no results.  (Started using sitz bath) after that wishing i had used it from the 1st bm.  Day 4 -same as day three with food and meds, but stools where not hard they were loose soft stools.  I still felt like I had a migrain in my butt however most of the pain was during a bm and post bm burn due to not being able to have a clean finish.  Continued to use sitz bath and would know if i still had stool  in my system because of the 3 ALARM FIRE going on and when i finally was clean I felt very little pain.  Had little blood and little discharge along with the burn so told myself to call the Nurse in the morning.  Day 5 - called the nurse...she said everything seems normal and to expect pain over these first two weeks.  She also said that our bodies will signal us to go #2 an average of 8 times a day but our brain will tell it not now your busy and for me to try to tell my butt not now to allow a full bm to form so I can go less times and possibly finish during that one time.  started to notice that the pain is all determined by my bm's if I was poop free I was pretty much pain free so I stopped the percocet and started using ibuprofen 600 every 6 hours along with my new best frieds stool softner and fiber.  I only took the percocet once this day during one of my couldn't get it all out episodes which I drink a hot tea or eat a hot cup of soup and walked around the house complaing to my poor husband how miserable I was and after 30-45 minuts with the help of the sitz bath i was able to finish but in between I had the 3 ALARM  FIRE going on.  You know what I noticed that if i straightened my legs out and leaned back a little on the toilet it helped me go.  Silly but it did help me.   Day 6- got bold and went with my husband to walk the dogs  around the lake about 1/2 mile...I made sure to empty myself first.  By the time we were headed to the car I was like c'mon we gotta get home!!!!  The walking made me have to go again and I was not going without me sitz bath and wipes....I managed to hold it till we got home 5 minute drive but told myself not to push it again.   Still had the burn while going and still taking about 30 minutes to recover and still waiting for some relief of the burn wondering why is this taking so long to heal?  Oh, this entire time I forgot to mention that I bought the surgical sponge pads and use them every day changing as needed wich is less frequent as the days go by on day 6 I really only changed it when I used the restroom due to no more blood and very little discharge.  Day 7 - Saturday so I can't call the nurse to ask her about the small open sore still causing so much pain and hoping by Monday I won't have to.  Worrying about going back to work on the 16th and hoping it won't be a huge painful drama when I need to go to the restroom.  Can say I feel better but not out of the woods yet.  Pain free we will be...may the force be with you all :)  God bless and hope this helps someone.
I had the surgery 5 days ago is it normal to feel the stitches, like they are sticking out the rectum? And info would be awesome.
i was suffering from chronic anal fissure from last 6 months.it pains a lot..i did all medication but nothing helped.at last i decided to go for surgery.surgery recovery was very quick.i was able to walk next day of surgery with little pain.but after surgery make sure your motion is soft.during motion surgery wound pains a lot for three to four days.hot sis bath helps a lot in healing surgery wound.have soft diet diet rich in fiber.now after 2 weeks of surgery 95 percent of pain is gone just little little itching is there.i hope everything with be fine soon..:)
Please help! Needing your experience, explanation and information.

About June 2013, eating All-You-Can-Eat BBQ one weekend, then riding the motorcycle all weekend, by Monday I must have been very dehydrated and was the most constipated I've ever been in my entire life. I was at work and I think while trying to pinch it off (the ****), I gave myself a fissure.

After about a month or so of INTENSE, INSANE, CRAZY pain, losing about 60 lbs, I found a rectal doctor. Turned out to be a colorectal surgeon.
Upon examination, I was in pain and the rectum was squeezed very tight. He didn't do anything and diagnosed me with a fissure and prescribed some cream the pharmacy had to mix up that was supposed to relax rectum.

When I examined myself, I could feel what felt like a cut inside my rectum about an inch long. Over time, it started getting much better. I was eating lots of fruits and veggi's only and was able to eat at Thanksgiving 2013.

In January 2014, I checked myself and it felt like a bump where the cut was. I figured scar tissue. By Spring, I checked myself and the bump had become what felt like a hole. This scared me, so I decided to see the colorectal doctor (surgeon) again.

By this time, it had been about 10 months since I last saw him. I wasn't in any pain at this time, though I had been very careful with my diet and poops.

He put me up on the table and stuck something in me. Then stuck something in me a second time. Then I'm laying there waiting and he said "one more" and whatever it was, he about shoved it to my brain! I was thinking WTF, but figured it was part of the examination.

He had told me about surgery the first visit and I was liked "hell no". I was determined to heal myself with proper diet and by the second visit, I had made major progress.

I didn't feel any pain after leaving the dr, but about a month later I started having leaky butt! Farts slip out when I cough or sneeze... nasty liquid seeping out, most often while sleeping.

Did this guy perform surgery on me???? I seem to be having symptoms one may get after having such a surgery. I filled out no forms for surgery. I did not agree to surgery.

The fissure is gone for the most part and my anus seems to be much looser than before. I have raw butthole, and stinky, itchy butt all the freaking time!

I'm so freaked out that this guy performed surgery on me. It is making me crazy... this wouldn't be malpractice, this is flat out assault!

Please read my story and tell me what you think. Would it be possible for this kind of surgery and me not notice anything other than him shoving something to my brain though my butt? I had an anus problem, but whatever he shoved in me that third time was checking my tonsils.
I just saw a video on the Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy and no way was that done to me. That is much more invasive than my experience.

Can someone please tell me what the doctor was sticking in me? Is it routine to do it three times, the third about 5 minutes after the second and very deep?

I'm so very disturbed by this and I've not discussed it with anyone, but I'm beginning to lose my mind about it.
I think if you have a little incontinence and lose sphincter then he must have performed anal dilation. It may have been by using a device or by hand or a type of dilation called digital dilation. You must search about it. And has your fissure healed?? Its supposed to after dilation.
I had my LIS this past Friday after two months of excruciating pain. I was nervous for the first BM- but there was minimal pain.  I followed the doc's instructions to do sitz baths after every BM and use ice.  I also avoided narcotic pain meds after the first night home.  I take 3 advil and two extra strength Tylenol and also Metamucil and two ducosate.  I can honestly say that this surgery was THE BEST thing I could have done.  I tried the conservative approaches for a month while my quality of life diminished.

I could not be happier about the relief I have experienced.  If you are looking for a Doc in the Boston area, reach out to me and I will give you my surgeons name.  He is amazing!
I has a Fissurectomy and LIS two weeks ago and all I can say is that I AM THANKFUL!! I had been suffering from a fissure since June of 2015. Make sure if you think you have signs to go to a Proctologist. My doctor tried to tell me I had hemorrhoids and he misdiagnosed me. I told him Internal hemorrhoids bleed but I'm THROBBING! Long story short, I ended up seeing a proctologist and started off with some type of cream. Did that for 6 weeks, it scabbed a little, but never completely healed so I ended up getting Botox shots. The doc said they would feel like two bee stings down below and when I tell you it wasnt pleasant, I mean it wasnt pleasant at ALL, BUT after a few days the throbbing went away. So it was definitely worth it and I thought I got my life back. BUT, This only lasted for 3 months and when the botox wore off I was suffering again. I realized that cheese made me constipated so I stopped eating that. I tried to do the veggie thing, vegan thing, but I realized after the fissure reopened surgery had to happen. When you do all you can from sitz baths, to stool softeners, to eating more fiber and you are still throbbing, DONT PUT THE SURGERY OFF! It could change your life. Trust. Now everyone is different. I'm a 5'11 guy who is not too overweight and the doc said I was healing very well after my post followup a week later.

Well I went in for the out patient procedure on March 29, was drugged up real good and when I tell you after the surgery immediately I felt different. I was throbbing during preop and the doc said the worse you feel going in the better you will feel after the surgery. That made no sense to me but I get it now because my sphincter muscle was throbbing so bad so after they cut up in there, it had a chance to relax.  Now its going on two weeks and I havent throbbed once! I was very nervous to even get the procedure because I researched and read about people not being able to control their bowls and bleeding a lot. I havent had an issure with that at all. The nurse was like, "make sure you buy plenty of maxi pads" I put one on my underwear for two days and barely dripped anything. It was to the point where I didn't need to wear them anymore. Also my first bowl movement I was SO NERVOUS but to be honest, it wasnt that bad. It was a tolerable pain. It didnt really hurt, it was just stinging a little. BUT NO THROB!

Now, I will say I took two weeks off of work because I felt I needed it. I was up and about a few days after the surgery. Sitting down in a chair was a little of a challenge because someone just cut up into my bootiehole but clearly that "pain" is soooooo much better than the throbbing pain. The only thing I feel now is like there is something up there if that makes sense. The fissure is still healing but I'm so glad I got the surgery.  I just find it helps talking to people about ways to ease the pain of the fissure and how to deal with post surgery if you get it done. OH, another thing that I found out is soap can make the fissure worse. I was told to never use soap on your anus area by my doctor. I had never heard that but it makes sense because that area is sensitive and I always used a lot of soap down there so I could have made it worse by doing that. FYI
I don't get it, I just had mine done 6 days ago and when I go to the bathroom it still bleeds and throbs for at least 3hrs the throbbing that is. I have to alternate ice pack and heating pad litterlay between my cheeks, that's even after soaking my bottom in lukewarm water.
stool softeners !!!
I want to post my experience for others.  It's been right at 24 hrs since my surgery.  So far, my biggest discomfort has been my throat from the tube they use during general anesthesia.  Not to scare anyone about it, it's just been scratching and feeling like I need to clear my throat a good bit.  So far, I have 0 pain from the surgery.  I know he loaded me up with lidocaine to help with pain.  So, I'm nervous about it wearing off.  I have not taken any pain meds either.  I haven't had pain.  This morning, I sat in a tub and drank coffee.  Coffee is a great laxative for me.  I got out of the bath and had a small BM and some gas.  I dabbed with with tissue and there was a small amount of fresh bright red blood.  It's about the same amount I would experience on some BM's prior to surgery.  

Here's a bit about my history.  I think my fissure started 10 yrs ago or longer.  Until about a year ago, there was never much pain and the blood after BM was rare.  Then, about a year ago, I was constipated for 2 days in a row, very constipated.  On the second day, I experienced a very sharp pain and I could tell there was significant swelling.  Since then, the pain has been improving ever so slowly.  The blood was light pink and only evident occasionally.  I first went to my GP who said I had a tender prostrate and treated me for prostatitis.  Obviously, that was incorrect.  So, I went to my GI doctor and saw a nurse practitioner who immediately diagnosed me with a fissure.  I tried a compound of lidocaine and something else for about a month.  It didn't help.  So, I went back and saw my GI doctor this time.  She referred me to a surgeon.  By this time, I am about 6 months into this flare up.  The surgeon I saw is Board Certified.  I think he's certified in colorectal surgery.  Anyway, he suggested sitz baths and another compound for a month.  My fissure did not heal.  But, by now, my pain was so insignificant.  Oh, I should mention than other than the original BM that aggravated my fissure, I never had pain that exceeded what I would call, "annoying".  I considered my quality of life to be really decent in terms of fissure problems.  I felt like I could live with it, but I hated to put up with discomfort and bleeding, if there was a way to fix it.  It was more mental than physical for me.

Here I am, 2 or 3 months after first seeing the surgeon.  Since my quality of life has not been adversely affected by the fissure to any great extent, my hesitation to have surgery was not the process of having the surgery and the recovery.  I was concerned about continence in the long term.  My surgeon told me that I would not be any more likely to long term continence issues (like 20-30 yrs down the road) than if I didn't have the surgery.  So, based on that, I finally decided that I would have the surgery.

Again, I'm around 24 hrs or less post-surgey and not having any rectal pain as I sit or walk.  My biggest fear now is having a real BM and when the lidocaine wears off completely.  I'm going to try to post an update later so that others my benefit from my experience.  Good luck to you all.

Just an update...

I'm beginning day 3.  I have not had anything that I would call "pain" yet.  I'm moving slowly and trying to avoid stressing the incision.  I still have tons of anxiety because I keep expecting it to be painful with bowel movements.  Some discomfort is noticeable, but I wouldn't call it painful.

I'm using a stool softener every morning and evening.  I'm also using metamucil 2x/day.  I do have some blood on the tissue and on a feminine hygiene pad, but nothing to be concerned about.  Looks normal to me.

My biggest concern has always been quality of life after LIS vs. quality of life after.  Will I be able to control my bowels?  I guess it will take time to know.  But, gas is occasionally passing unwanted right now.  The stool softeners and metamucil are contributing to this, I'm sure.  But, need to keep stools soft while healing.  So, I guess it's a necessary evil, atm.  I knew going into this that incontinence was a temporary concern.  But, my understanding was that I would be no more likely to develop continence issues whether I had the surgery or not.  But, what if I have gas or the urge to have a BM and I cough or sneeze?  Will that be controllable?  I pray that it is.  That is my biggest fear.  I can tell right now that I have some control.  So, I'm still optimistic, but nervous.

I will post back again.
I'm now 7 days in and want to give an update.

My pain increased a little since last posting.  When I say "pain", I really mean tenderness.  I have not had what I would really call "pain".  I had more pain with getting up and down from a seated position and walking.  But, nothing too significant or more than what I would have expected.  I was just a little surprised that it got more painful rather than less.  Today, the pain is better.

There's always a little blood with BM.  But, it seems to be getting less.

My biggest concern, which is continence, seems to be less of a concern.  For a couple of days, I was really concerned.  However, I continue to remain concerned.  I just don't feel like I have enough control when coughing, sneezing or straining.  But, I cut back on the Metamucil to half or less and that seems to have helped.  I am still taking 1 stool softener morning and evening.

I have not tried to get a peek at the area.  I'd really rather not see it.  But, it feels like there's some tissue outside the anal area, kinda like a hemorrhoid.  I guess that's normal.  I hope it goes away because it feels weird.

I'm soaking in the tub 3x/day still.

That's about all that I think of that is noteworthy.  I will post back later.  
I'm on day 13.  I think things are going well.  I'm back to most normal activities.  I'm avoiding straining and lifting.  I do have some sensitivity in the rectum.  I think about 50% or more of it is from the original fissure.  It's hard to tell.  I'm still soaking.  Although, I've cut it down to 2x/day for the last couple of days.  Soaking gets old.  

So, what about the gross gory details?  Alright, I've cut the stool softeners out.  I was doing 2 heaping teaspoons of Metamucil 2x/day.  I've cut that back to 1 heaping tsp 2x/day.  BM's seem normal.  I'd say the jury is still out on getting clean after BM.  It's still tender enough that I don't get too rambunctious when I wipe.  I really don't want to break open any scabs that might might still be there.  I wait to do my first soak until after the BM.  Then, I get in the shower and use soap to ensure I'm clean.

As for continence issues, right now, I don't believe that's going to be a problem for me.  This is weird.  But, beginning before the surgery, I could occasionally feel a gas bubble leaking.  I still feel that.  I guess no more frequently.  It's not when I feel like I have gas.  It's more random.  I don't guess I can associate that to the surgery.  I think I am going to have good control over my bowels.  But, I'm still concerned that there might be situations where I might not have as good of control as I had prior to surgery.  For example, if I have bad gas one day and sneeze, will I be able to hold it in front of people?  Or worse, #2?  I think the jury is still out on whether or not that has changed since having the surgery.

I don't see a need for me to keep posting regularly anymore.  I wanted to get things documented for you while it was fresh on my mind.  At this point, things aren't changing very fast.  And, unless things change, I'm satisfied with the surgery.  I think the original fissure is improving.  It doesn't hurt when I poop.  I don't have blood when I wipe that I can tell.  So, I will try to post back in a month or so (or if anything changes).  One last thing, good bad or indifferent, it feels weird where the incision was made, like a hemorrhoid.  The rectum is no longer a smooth round hole.  

I just had my follow up with the surgeon.yesterday.  He said that the fissure looked better but wasn't completely healed and the surgical incision is healing, as well.

I could tell that the fissure hadn't healed.  It does feel significantly better.  But, it's not pain free yet.  But, it's barely noticeable.  Other than that and some leaking, it's good.  I'm leaking something, I can't tell if it's proteins from the wounds or has some feces or what.  But, I actually started that prior to surgery, so I can't blame it on the sphincterotomy.  

I'll keep this short and leave it at that.  I go back in 6 weeks.  I'll try and remember to post again after that follow up.
Hi my name is Jane. About Im guessing I had to have sphinxter surgery, it all went well, but... had a baby in 1996, she was a bigaone!! 8lbs and ?? Oz. Live to have a baby at that age. But I just read some stories about looosing,bowels and omgosh IM NOT THE ONLY ONE IM SHOUTING. KJUST LOST POOP TODAY SND ITS SO EMBARASSING I CRIED. I WAS AGAIN DOING POOP IN THE PANTS IN FRONT OF MY FIANCE. HE UNDERSTANDS BUT DANG IT ALL I DONT. THANKS JANE OH THE SPHINKSTER SURGERY WENT FINE BUT... MY DOCTOR WANTED ME AWAKE I SAID UHMMM NO!!! GOOD DAY TO ALL OF U POOP PEOPLE LIKE ME LOL. HEHEHAHA....
Don't put the surgery off if you suffering trust me you will feel much better I was subscribed the nitro cream and all the medication you can think of with no avail so my doctor decided for the surgery and after you will notice a difference but my suggestion is that after a day or two start drinking mirrallax to force a bowel movement because sometimes after surgery with certain people you may not be able to have a regular bowel movement for up to a week which was my case and I ended up constapated and back in the hospital for a few days until I had a bowel movement which was very painful so you may want to force yourself by laxatives to have a bowel movement no later than day or two after surgery if you don't have a movement naturally just my suggestion that can save someone from going through what I did post operation