Gastroenterology Community
Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy surgery after fissure your experiencecs...

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy surgery after fissure your experiencecs?

Has anyone had a chronic fissure that was treated by surgery. Please tell me your experiences (good or bad) after surgery. After the surgery how long did you have unbearable pain.
I need to undergo this surgery as well and your responses will give help me a lot.
I had the surgery done last September and the pain of the fissure was much worse than pain from the surgery. In fact the two days later I had a movement and it was a relief that the pain was gone. I was given pain medication and only took them for probably 12-16 hours after the surgery and probably would have been fine without anything.
any updates on your LIS surgery?  results of your condition/surgery?
I had a lateral internal sphinterotomy about 4 weeks back. The first few days were very painful and it seemed like the fissure pain was nothing. However, by the second week the pain of the operation wound did subside. However, even now after almost one month it does pain if I pass gas very strongly from the rectum. Also, my problem of the rectum not opening properly and going into spasms has not gone. The doctors told me that my sphincer muscle was very tight and therefore this procedure of lateral internal sphincterotomy would be required to losen the sphincter and allow the stools to pass and thereby slowly heal the fissure which due to my extremely tight sphincter muscle was constantly creating a massive problem for me in my elemination of stools as well as aggravating the fissure.

I found that my major problems have not gone away and that is having a proper bowel movement. I was addicted to suppositories and abuse of them is what probably led to my extremely weak condition. The doctor tried to make me stop taking suppositories but I just wouldn't go (as I had become addicted to them) even after 3 days. So, I first tried cremaffin and took double the required dosage. (30 ml instead of 15 ml) Cremaffin is a mixture of parrafin and milk of magnesia. That still didn't help me and eventually I still had to use a suppository. Then a doctor gave me Cremalax which is sodium picosulphate and also made me take cremaffin in addition and that is the only thing that made me have bowel movements. Of course at times I would have diarrohea as it was difficult to get the right dosage of the combination for me. In any event during this hell I was undergoing everyone thought my major problem was the inability of the rectum to relax and thereby pass the stool. They felt the fissure over there was causing my rectum to go into spasms and therefore recommended this procedure of lateral internal sphincterotomy. I got it done 4 weeks ago and my pain did lessen of the fissure after about 2 weeks. However, the wound pain of the operation was intense for the first few days. In the last week I have been told not to take any laxatives of any kind. Not even stool softeners to try and go naturally. However, this just hasn't worked. I strained and aggravated my would a couple of days ago. Today, I was desperate and resorted to using a glycerin suppository and unfortunately my rectum tightened in trying to pull it up and it scraped my entire wound while going up. I am now undergoing the same pain I had BEFORE THE operation. I am afraid I have damaged my wound of the operation which was now healing till now. Also, I am afraid I might have created another fissure by my stupid antics of straining and using suppositories once again. I however am desperate and do not know what to do. I cannot go through this whole hell again. I had lost weight from 140 pounds (which already was a slim weight for my height of 5'10") and now I am below 110 pounds currently around 105 pounds.

Till, today I was keeping my chip up but after this suppository experience and now me experiencing pain in my rectum in the wound area as well as other areas I am truly down and do not know what to do. Please someone advise and help me.
I am going to tell you how to start getting better but you MUST do this to a "T".. You must give up eating everything but apples for at least 2 weeks. NOT applesauce or apple pie, plain ol' apples. With nothing but apples onboard you should not need any kind of laxitive. You must also drink NOTHING but water. No coffee, soda, milk ect...If you can have your doc order you some NITRO-BID ointment as well it is a big help. I have a "cronic (chronic)" fissure for about 5 months now and I tried everything from creams, fiber, botox injections ect... Nothing worked. I am a big sissy with the idea of surgery and so I just came up with this plan. I am about 2 weeks into it and feel about 80-90% better. I am not all the way there but it is a major improvement. The nitro-bid helps alot with the post BM spasm. Hope this helps.
Had the LIS today; went great, not much pain at all and have only used a little bit of Percocet. I will let you know how it goes over the next week. I am glad I did it at this point anyway; it is over and maybe my chronic spasms will stop. I am very hopeful and my doctor thinks everything will be fine and I really trust her.
I had the surgery almost 6 weeks ago. After a couple of weeks most of the pain was gone, but I have this throbbing pain in my tailbone area right at the top of my crack. I was under the impression that I should not be having any pain anymore. Has anyone experienced this and should I contact my doctor about this problem?
Had the LIS yesterday; went great, not much pain at all  my Dr also use a local inistega and have used a Percocet. today I had bowel movment and a litel pain and it seems to me is going a away. hope within a week or so all will be good. good luck all.
Had closed lateral sphincteromy and stapled hemorrhoid surgeries 2 days ago.I was also impacted and surgeon had to clean me out...only pain medicine i have taken was 2 tylenol...i was worried about the first bowel movement..had bowel movement this morning..no pain with movement...i feel sooo much better than i did last weekend...I thank God for this surgery
i had lateral sphincterotomy 1 week and 1/2 ago. i had 2 fissures, and the doctor burned out few polyps that had been formed. the first days after the operation i was in pain, but it took tramadol, pain reliever 2 times a day. i took a lot of medicines after surgery, including soft laxatives. i was very affraid of the 1 BM, which happened 2 days after surgery, but it was easy and pain free. i was recomended to take tramadol before i had the BM so i would feel a little pain. Today i can walk better, even sit for a while, but i have mild abdominal pain before and after BM. and that's scary, because the doctor told me i had very thin mucose of my internal muscle. so i have to fight constipation, but even if i drink a lot of fluids every day, take fiber suplement, eat soup, salads, apples, i still don't have soft BM. I hope i'll be better soon. And good luck to you all.
Just had my second Sphincterotomy Surgery done four days ago, the first one was done 3 years ago, I have IBS ( or so the doctors say ), So over usage of the rectal area caused fissures which were very painful, I feel like I was hit with a baseball bat several times plus I also have the feeling of an ice-pik inside of my anus, Don't know if this is a condition which will continue seing that my stomach alwas wants to push my food down and my bottom's in pain and sometimes can not be in synch.... I'm a 43y/o male, this is NOT normal and no one in my circle ( world ) understands.....
I had a surgery about 2 months ago. My fissure formed after giving birth to my son. 2 weeks after he was born I began to have INTENSE pain with bowel movements.It got worse and worse. After being told it was hemmorhoids for 6 weeks I decided to get a 2nd opinion. I was in so much pain that I felt like I was pooping knives!! Went to the colon and rectal surgeron and he said I definitely had anal fissures and by that time I had done all the conservative treatments so he offered surgery and I figured after giving birth, being in the worst pain of my life for 6 weeks...surgery couldn't make it worse. So 2 days later I had the operation. The dr said my fissure was 3 times the size of a normal fissure. All I have to say about the surgery is "GET IT"!!!!! The surgery was a miracle surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The moment I got home the pain was gone. I was told that I could remove the packing the dr put in after the surgery that night. I was so scared it would hurt but not a bit of pain...and I wasn't numb because I felt it come out. Next day had a bowel movement and it was uncomfortable but nothing like before. Within a week I was enjoying my bowel movements again, had quite a bit of itching from healing for about 6 weeks. But after that pain, I would take itching for the rest of my life if it meant I never had to go through that again. I would tell people I would birth a child every day if I didn't have to live through that pain!
The surgery allowed me to be a mom finally! If your dr recommends it, GET IT!!
My name is Mario and I suffered from an anal fissure for almost 7 weeks and though is been openly discussed in all the forums I've read over the past month and a half, I can not stress enough how painful, uncomfortable, and challenging this can be, I couldn't say that it is the worst pain anyone could have but I can certainly say that nothing I've been through before compares to it. My mother had one and she openly says that giving birth is a walk in the park compared to this. Two of my friends went to surgery because of fissures and they certainly don't regret having made that choice.
After a month and a half of trying everything and anything possible and after two visits to a board certified colon and rectal surgeon and his colleagues, my Dr. recommended surgery and it didn't take me more than two minutes to say yes.
Now, two days ago I had a fissurectomy and lateral sphincterotomy and even though the whole experience takes a big toll on you, I feel I made the right decision. I believe and have faith that things are going to finally get better. I felt pain once the anesthesia wore off but I got pain killers and the pain subsided a lot, in fact, on the second day after surgery (yesterday) I barely felt any discomfort. Of course, I didn't have any BM which by the way was my biggest concern. Needless to say, just the thought of having a bowel movement scared the crap out of me and today, less than 48 hours after surgery, I had my first BM.
I can't lie to you, it was painful but not nearly as painful as I thought it would be and it was a lot!  Sorry for being so descriptive but some of you will surely appreciate me telling you this,
I've been in pain afterwards but is less intense that whatever I had before the surgery, at least better than in my worse days with the fissure.
I'm bleeding only a little and going to start with the warm sitz baths after done here.
I'll keep you all posted and pray that your pain will go away very soon.
Blessings to all
I suffered from an anal fissure for 6 weeks and though is been openly discussed in all the forums I've been to over the past month and a half, I can not stress enough how painful, uncomfortable, and challenging that can be, I couldn't say that it is the worst pain anyone could have but I can certainly say that nothing I've been through before compares to that. My mother had one and she openly says that giving birth is a walk in the park compared to this. Two of my friends went to surgery because of fissures and they certainly don't regret it.
Now, two days ago I had a fissurectomy and lateral sphincterotomy and even though the whole experience takes a big toll on you, I feel I tookj the right decision. I believe in faith that things are going to finally get better. I felt pain once the anesthesia wore off but I got pain killers and the pain subsided a lot, in fact, on the second day after surgery (yesterday) I barely felt any discomfort. Of course, I didn't have any BM which by the way was my biggest concern. Needless to say, just the thought of having a bowel movement scared the crap out of me and today, less than 48 hours after surgery, I had my first BM.
Blessings to all
I had my surgery today and I was wondering what kind of "look" your surgery area is suppose to have... I feel like the doctor left tge area "inside out" as he had to have it in order to perform the procedure... I wonder if this is normal like will it go in naturally as the swelling subsides or will I need to manually push in? Right now I can't sit normally or lie down in my back because of this.. I think once it's pushed in how a normal anus is usually then it won't feel so uncomfortable like this... Did anyone experience this? Plz help what is normal after the surgery??
Please post your question as its own post because this one is so old.
I had the surgery almost a month ago, and wanted to add my experience.  I came across this forum prior to the procedure, and found the stories of others helped prepare me.  

I'm a 34-yr-old male, and had been suffering with the fissure for about a year.  I had no idea what it was or why it was happening, but the worst of it was the itching.  I did have bleeding with almost every bowel movement, but the itching and burning was so painful that I couldn't work out, ride bike, run, anything other than sit on the couch.  I assumed hemorrhoids just from what I could gather on the internet.  So after months of referrals I was finally seen by this specialist.  After diagnosis, I was given a month supply of the nitro-glycerin gel.  Along with the gel, I completely changed my diet.  I already drank plenty of water, but upped it even more.  I had already given up caffeine, and quit nicotine years ago.  I fought through the pain and resumed exercising 5-6 times a week.  Still, absolutely no change.  It was at this point that the doctor recommended a lateral internal sphincterotomy.  I just wanted my life back at any cost, so I agreed.  

First of all, I made two mistakes the night prior to the procedure.  I ate pizza, which I'm assuming was the culprit for constipation, and I Google'd "Lateral internal sphincterotomy".  No matter how curious you are, do not watch the medical video that comes up when you search for this, especially not the night before.  My doctor told me it was a very simple procedure, which it probably is, but I didn't need to see how it all goes down.  

My Doctor is a highly-experienced gastro surgeon, who claims he's done this procedure thousands of times.  He told me the prep takes longer than the surgery, and that he's only in the OR for about 5 minutes.  Mine was just for an anal fissure, no hemorrhoids or anything else.  

So the surgery itself was a very simple out-patient procedure.  I got to the hospital at 6:15am, and was out of there by 11am.   When I awoke in recovery, I had absolutely zero pain.  I had to pee, which I was able to due despite being quite numb in that general area.  The general aneasthesia had worn off by the time we left, so my wife and I went shopping, all less than a couple hours later.  I was prescribe hydrocodone for pain, which if you've ever had it you'll know does an excellent job.  

So after a normal day, I still had zero pain.  I didn't attempt a bowel movement that evening out of fear, and not feeling the urge to go.  The next night I still had not gone, nor felt the need, so I called the nurse.  They recommended milk of magnesia, which I'd never before taken in my life.  After a few hours I went to the bathroom, and unfortunately went from constipation to diarrhea.  It felt slightly painful, but no worse than going with the fissure.  I made sure to soak in the tub after every trip to the bathroom (which is inconvenient with diarrhea, but I wanted to keep clean).  By the following day, things were solidifying.  I continued taking Miralax and Benefiber daily, which kept me regular.  

A week to ten days after the procedure, I was still finding blood after wiping. This freaked me out a little so I again called the nurse and was told it was completely normal, and that slight bleeding can continue for up to a month.  A couple days later this ended.  I still had absolutely no pain, and above all, the itching was for the most part gone.  Still occasionally itchy with healing, but nothing like before.  

The hardest thing to get used to is controlling something you've trusted your whole life, which now reacts differently.  For the first week or two, you're not entirely sure what is gas and what isn't.  It feels uncomfortable or weak when clenching.  This completely went away for me.  Things are back to normal and I'm excited to have my life back!

I just had my post-surgery appt this morning and the doctor said things have healed up nicely.  I've had a few surgeries over the years now, a tonsillectomy, a vasectomy, 3 knee surgeries, and now this.  I would actually rank this one the mildest out of all those as far as pain and inconvenience.  If you've found an experienced doctor, there is no reason to continue living in pain.  This really isn't that big of deal!  
I'm a 51 year-old male.  I had anal fissures two years ago that healed, and have had them again for the last 6 months.  Tried Nitro-Bid and Pramosone this time, but no healing. Had my LIS two days ago.  An army doctor at BAMC in San Antonio did the surgery.

Post-Op:  My lower back, I guess where the spinal anesthesia was administered, has been stiff and painful.  Also, I've had some anal bleeding.  My bm's are normal and not causing any pain.  I soak in a hot bath after each bm.  I was really worried about the small chance of incontinence from the surgery, but with no signs of it yet, I'm optimistic.

Recommendations:  If you're suffering from anal fissures, get the surgery.  There is no need for you to try a wide range of alternatives.  Try one, maybe two things and then if it doesn't heal within a month or two, it probably won't and surgery is the answer.  About anesthesia, I really wanted general anesthesia but let the anesthesiologist talk me into the spinal.  I regret it.  My wake-up time would have been quicker and the post-surgery pain lessened.  Finally, ask your doctor lots of questions.  My surgeon was wonderful, but I think she could have been more specific about the first few days after surgery.  My lower back muscles hurt and are really stiff.  Did she know that this might happen?

So I thought I had internal hemmeroids, but after being looked at by a surgeon, we found out that it was 3 anal fissures. I also had 3 skin tags that made things very difficult. Mind you I had be straining and struggling to go to have a BM for 3-4 years now. Due to no health insurance I had to wait.

Anyways, I had the Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy in early January. And really hoping this would help since surgery is one of the last really effective methods. I tried witch hazel, fibercon, etc. But nothing made them go away. So the surgery procedure was fairly easy, day in and day out.

Right after the surgery I was fine, and felt literally no pain...which was amazing. The doctor removed 2 of the 3 skin tags, saying the smaller one should go back up. I did some soaking in the tub, took the stool softner, pain med and applied vaseline to the area because I had my skin tags burned off. I had no more real excessive bleeding and magically it didn't hurt to go to the bathroom.

It's almost 2 months later and I still feel a little discomfort when I have a BM (Though nothing as close to as before). The one skin tag is still present which says to me that fissure hasn't healed at all. Unfortunately for me, when I wipe again I am seeing more blood than after the surgery until now. So I really think they are still there. I do experience some itching during the day, but nothing too bad. I don't itch anymore because that will just irritate them more. I tried to wipe with a wet clotch after BMs, clean the area after with witch hazel and cotton balls. Though I don't see much of a difference, at least I know it's cleaned and may heal them.

I'm not very pleased, since this has been an issue for years. I suppose I would opt for a fissurectomy if you have them badly like I did. That way they are GONE and you aren't still recovering like I am. Though it's much easier to have  BM, I dread seeing blood and having to clean for minutes after and thinking it's just going to get worse. If you have one or two chronic fissures formed recently I'm sure the LIS is very helpful. It's really an easy procedure. My doctor did a great job, but I think I needed more down due to the results I am having now. Ask questions prior to he surgery!

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas of how to make them go away and stay away?

Hi there.

My name is Peter, I am 28 yo chap, and I´ve just underwent sphincterotomy and fissurectomy 12 days ago, and wanted to add my experience as well as an insight on the whole thing. Just to tell you beforehand - everything went fine, and I am doing great. I have suffered from anal fissure for years, but the last time it just didnt go away and became chronic. It took some time for me to make the decision to get it done, but I definitely appreciate that I have decided the way I did. I would like to stress, that I got it done in central european country, so there might be few differences in comparison to other countries regarding the whole procedure.

The surgery was done by the chief of transplant surgery department. I got into the
hospital on Thursday, they did enema the night before the surgery, have talked to the anaesthesiologist and decided to go for general anaesthesia. Got it done on Friday morning, woke up around noon with more of a discomfort than pain. The surgeon recommended Novalgin infusions every six hours for 3 days to manage the pain (according to him - once the pain kicks in, its hard to relieve it), and despite that I hardly felt any pain I went for it. I was concerned about possible constipation, but it wasnt the case. I got sick from the general anaesthesia, and did throw up like 5 times that night. It was quite inconvenient since I had to clench the sphincter quite strongly while at it, but it didnt cause any pain. I was pleasantly surprised not only by the absence of pain, but of incontinence as well. From the first day after the surgery all the way until now, I can control gas and everything else as before. I stayed at the hospital for 3 nights, and left on Monday morning.

The first BM happened the next day after the surgery, and it didnt cause any pain. It was a strange feeling, hard to convey in words, but it felt like a part of the anus/colon is missing, and the stool just falls off. I have had a BM every single day since then, and got better day by day. I could feel the cuts and incision site while having BM for 8 days after the surgery, but was much more in discomfort (tension,stinging, itching) than pain. As I have said before, its day 12 today, and having a BM feels normal. There is still a bit of blood and bit of a leakage, but it gets better every day. I went for a first check up today, and was quite tense about stitches removal, but there were none to take out. The doctor told me, that they normally dont sew it, since it could cause infection if parts of stool got stuck in between the stitches, and that the anal mucosa needs to heal on its own.    

What I did

There are couple of steps, that I would highly advise to contemplate couple of weeks before the surgery.

To me it seemed (doesnt have to be the case), that getting over the worst period with fissure was of crucial importance regarding the recovery (season of the year might have some impact as well). I have suffered tremendously for 3-4 months, before it got better in the end. At least to a point, when I could sit down and wasnt in blinding pain for 6-8 hours after each BM. In order to get better, I´ve adjusted my diet (ate only oatmeals, salad potatoes and vegetables), did sitz baths but foremostly took care of hygiene. I even started to think about cancelling my surgery a month ago, but understood its inevitability and went for it (hard part of the decision-making was, that I live in UK and was scheduled for a surgery back in my home country).

Next, took care of my diet, in order to build up the habit of having BM every single day - this proved to be of utmost importance after the surgery. Its essential, that you are regular after the operation, thus avoiding harder stools. Likewise, eat lightly and regularly after the surgery for at least 7-10 days and dont walk/sit around. Stay in bed. Your condition will let you know when to get back on your feet.  

Sitz bath after every BM and before going to sleep (using oak crust which works superbly for me) and rest. Thorough hygiene and dont forget to use gauze to keep the place dry. I have started with short walks upon day 10.

Just to tell you. I havent used any sort of stool softeners or any other medication for that matter. Found my way around it with my diet - lost some weight but it was definitely worth it.

Hope this helps.
Wishing everyone all the best.

Thanks so much to everyone for sharing their experience. It really helps since docs never give you all details.

I've had fissures before, but had an awful one in January 2011 that just wouldn't heal. I get constipated easily even when my diet is good. The only thing that works for me is to sip on hot water throughout the day.

After trying nifedipine cream for a month, I went for Botox which seemed to improve things quite a bit, but then I had to travel. I hate airplanes as they constipate me and that resulted in another tear.

So after much deliberation, I went into surgery on 4/8 in San Francisco.

Its been exactly 2.5 days since surgery and it has been quite painful. Vycodin causes stools to harden so the first bowel movement after surgery was very painful as was the 2nd. I envy folks here who have had easier movements after surgery. I also don't feel like the stool just falls off. I've had to push it out even though it was not too hard.

I'm taking Vycodin every 8 hrs. I tried skipping it once and the pain was HORRIBLE. I really hope this fixes itself soon. Just wanted to share my experience. Will write another update after 5 more days

Thanks,
Snapple

Thanks,
Snapple
I def do understand. I have IBS or what I believe is Chrones Disease. I don't think anyone really understands how bad IBS can be. I have abdominal pain almost every day. I have constant pain from my fissure as well. My Dr has tried everything from the NITRO-BID cream, to having botox injections twice now and nothing seems to work at all. My next step is the surgery to attempt to repair the fissure that causes me so much pain it is difficult to even go to work some days. This pain is terrible and not many people understand how hard these problems are to live with and what kind of impact they make on daily life.
Hi, I have had a Fissure for 7 months now.My doctor did a colonoscopy to determine location and any other possible issues.I have already been diagnosed with IBS for five or six years.I have tried everything the doctor stated to heal fissure ( high fiber diet,daily intake of water, Nitroglycrin cream) but it has become of chronic fissure and would never heal on its own so in two days I will be having surgery.I am very scared but know that it can't be any worse than the flare ups of the fissure on my worst days.Thank you all who posted on your surgeries.It helps to read what to expect after surgery.
To everyone that has posted recently: You have responded to an old, outdated thread from 2008.  The people who originally posted these comments may very well have moved on.  Rather than reply to an old thread, we recommend that people start a new topic to discuss the subject anew.  To do that, please click on the green "Post a Question" button at the top of the page.  This will get your post the attention it deserves.  Thank you.
I had a chronic fissure for about 5 months. I was in extreme pain just about everyday. To make a long story short, I went on a crash diet of lots of fiber, eating well, exercise (lost 15 pounds) and took dulcolax everyday. I did have normal, soft BM and the fissure pain decreased and almost went away. But the day I had one hard movement, it came back. I had a chronic fissure. I did EVERYTHING medically (anusol, hydro cream suppositories, etc) and even the Gastro said I did everything, so I opted for the Lateral interal. I am now 4 days after the surgery (it was a breeze, dont remember anything), and the pain has been ok. I have been on percosets and eating normal. I have had a few BM, and they were not painful. The Doc put stitches in and I think I might have just broke them after a harder BM today. My comments to the group is for a chronic fissure (I have had years of IBS problems) is the surgery is an easy and great way to go. So far I think the surgery has helped. My question to the group is 5 days later, the pain is going away, but I found a pimple looking thing on the outside and I wonder if that is normal. It doesnt hurt and the bleeding is minimal. I went running today after the dog, which might have made it worse. Any comments on the recovery of the surgery? Also, any questions, please feel free to ask me about the surgery.
Hi there, I had an extremely pain anal fissure around 15 months ago, it lasted for 4 months. I was traumatised and all the reaearch i had done over the net and talking to doctors suggested changing diet and to avoid surgery at all costs... Talking to some family in Spain they recommended i see the best Anal Fissure and Haemorroids Surgeon in Spain, based in Canary Islands (many locals are constipated, so there is high demand in these types of operations!). It's 300 euros and this includes consultation and LIS operation under local anasthetic.

It was amazing experience, people I spoke to in the waiting room and poeple my family knew were all raving about this surgeon with an extremely high success rate. I would highly recommend him to any sufferers and say that if you have a chronic fissure, do not spend any more time resisting this operation, you won't regret it. The details of the surgeon in canary islands in case you're interested is:

Dr Fernando Padron
Calle Domingo Rivero, 16
35004 Las Palmas De Gran Canaria
Canary Islands (Spain)
Tel: 00 34 928 244 713

Good luck !!
I had been suffering from chronic anal fissure for 6 months and elected to have LIS surgery 10 days ago under spinal anaesthetic.  The surgeon was a colo-rectal specialist.  The operation itself was no big deal - I was prescribed narcotic painkillers but did not take one, just tylenol and ibuprofen.
What concerns me is that my sphincter still does not own when I have a BM.  I thought that would happen right away after the operation, but it has not.  My stools are still as compressed as they were before the procedure.
I have a stinging pain after BM which I am pretty sure is the incision and NOT the fissure.

Can anyone offer an opinion about whether my sphincter should have relaxed immediately post-operation?
I suffer from chronic anal fissure and I have attempted all conventional treatments including cream, supposotries, diet and fiber but I still suffer from my fissure. I went to see a surgeon who recomended I do the surgery but I am concerned if he is the right person for the job! He recomended local anesethatic but I read in wikepedia that general anesethatic is prefered. Can any one advice? How do I know if he is the right surgeon? Do I just take my chances? I am in constant pain and cannot keep going with it.
I had been suffering daily with a chronic fissure for 8 months, when I finally decided to have the LIS and fissurectomy.  It wasn't going away no matter what I did.  It would disappear and come back roaring.  I had this surgery yesterday on July 6th.  I felt great leaving hospital due to all the "calming" drugs  they gave me there.  I woke in the early morning around 4 a.m. in excruciating pain.  Thank God for sitz bath and meds.
My whole bottom area is a huge black and blue and I have stitches hanging out everywhere.  I had a real bad today, but I'm feeling good now.  Have not had a bowel movement and I"m dreading it.  Why does it take so long to have one?  I am curious.  I usually "go" every day.  
I just took a Percocet and ready for bed.  I hope I sleep and do not wake up in pain as I did this morning.  
I just visited a ColoRectal Specialist in Encino, CA today and was told I have a chronic case of non-healing acute Anal Fissure and Fistula that must be treated with surgery, that I am too far gone for the other non-surgical remedies.  

The surgery scares me, but most of all I am VERY worried about his warning about rare cases of resulting incontinence after cutting out a small portion of the Sphincter muscle as a means to relax of overly spasm prone muscle, as is with my case.  He is a highly regarded doctor, but I am wondering if I should get a second opinion about the LIS part of the procedure.  

All the comments here seem to be pretty positive about the LIS surgery, with no one talking about suffering incontinence afterwards.  I am in pain 24/7, have almost learned to live with it - but don't want to end up just trading problems afterward the surgery due to the incontinence risks, and then having to wear a diaper or something awful like that!!   I am only 45!

Any feedback about that part I am so worried about?  I appreciate being able to read this forum and everyone's comments.  I don't feel so alone.  

Thank you!
CS
Hi there, I had the surgery last Friday and while it hasn't been a cakewalk it hasn't been too horrible. The first few days there was quite a bit of pain and tenderness but manageable the doctor prescribed me percosets and valium. It is no worse than really bad pain from a fissure. Be careful with your diet, keep it pretty simple ie salad, whole wheat bread, broth based soups, fruit. I haven't had ANY problems with incontinence. There is some discharge from the wound site but it's normal and resolves on it's own when the wound heals completely. If you want your life back I would recommend getting the surgery. What's another few weeks when you have probably been in pain for months. Good luck!
l
I am a 15 years old girl..I had an anal fissure operation one month ago..The pain is decreasing day by day but I am getting blood after my bowel movement.Is it okay?
Had my LIS on tuesday morning it is now thursday night, had my first bm, it was not as painful as before but it wasn't pleasant. After my first bm i still felt as if i needed to go.. has this happen to anyone else? N i have some pain but not as bad as before the LIS.
I had LIS a year ago after suffering 8 months with a fissure. It was the best decision I ever made!  No more spasms, no more shards of glass since the day of my surgery.

Don't be afraid of the surgery but get all the information you can to have the best recovery possible.
I took vicodin for two days and Miralax during my whole recovery. A good stool softener is the key to the best recovery possible. It's very important to keep bm's soft for months and months even after surgery while that area re-gains strength.

Never go into any surgery blindly. Get a well qualified CRS who is willing to answer any questions you have and who has done this procedure with confidence many times.
I has my LIS done just over 1yr ago.

Please let me know if anyone has had "leakage" since the surgery.

This is very embarrassing as i have to run every other minute to check. as i am paranoid
Can anyone recommend a really good colorectal surgeon? I might need LIS surgery and I want the best! I am willing to travel. I want a doctor who has done the surgery thousands of times and has left no one incontinent. I live in Hawaii so I am going to have to travel no matter what because I have researched this area with no luck. Please help!
I had been Searing in San Antonio.  I couldn't understand why because I thought it was ragin' roids and either I was a big baby and others with' roids tolerated it or something else.  My GYN referred me for a surgery consult for 'roids and they found the anal fissure.  I thought the BM pain was roids and I had a bleeding roid.  I had surgery on Friday Sept 16.  Surgery wasn't bad but pain is not insignificant (thank God for those drug compaines).  I had my first post-surgery BM on Monday and it was horrific, like giving birth to a very angry alien, so bad I had the cold chills, blood all over.  Called the doctor and they said normal.  Normal?  Ok this is not normal.  I am terrorized by the bathroom even more now.  Tuesday AM another alien birth and another Tuesday PM.  Wednesday AM: now 4 alien births and I am thinking I am fielding an angry alien softball team.

When do the angry aliens stop?
I had an surgery 30.07.2011 but still very uncomfortable to sit on a wooden chair.After operation I had no bleeding for the first few days but in the third or fourth day I vomit so fiercely that it even contained some blood and the next day I got some anal bleeding while excreting.I was very worried but they said it's normal!and they changed my pain killers may be because it created lot of gas..however it bleeded more or less in the first 15 days and with a gap of 10 days it bleeded again and again with a gap of 3-4 days it bleeded again and the pain was untolerable.Not only this was the only problem I was unable to stop laxatives.And then my doctor said my intestines are weak.However after starting the use of anal dialator with 2%lidocaine jelly it didn't bleed again and less pain than before and I have stopped using laxatives,the stools are still very hard bt my rectum is becoming hard too..and I think my stools are becoming less dependent and a little better.Although I still use isobgul and triphala and papaya for softening it as suggested by my doctor.But it still hurts very much during bowel movement.And still waiting to get well soon...
I am a 26 year old male, I am an active duty service member and consider myself to be physically fit and young enough not to worry about having medical issues...approximately 9 months ago I moved from one base to another and had to move all of my belongings and such.  I drove the 8 hours in a moving truck to my new home and had a bowel movement right when I got here.  I remember bleeding really bad with that bowel movement and I told my wife what had happened and she influenced me to go to the ER.  We went and the doctor pretty much diagnosed me with Roids without looking per say.  Well I had some time off so I slowly moved in my house and kinda layed around hoping they would go away before checking in at my new unit.  Slowly they went away but would come and go over and over for months...I went to my Primary Care Provider on base and told him what was going on a couple months later and the same response came from him as the ER docs.  "You have roids, everyone gets them and their not uncommon, with meds they will go away in time".  I took his advice and meds and they "roids" came and went on and off for another couple months.  I went back several times for refills and different medicines and nothing would work 100 percent.  I was constantly in pain and bleeding with my bowel movements with no realy relief.  After talking to my wife one night when I was in severe pain she said enough was enough and I needed to request that I be seen by a specialist.  I went the next day and the doctor gladly sent me to a specialist.  I went for my consult and the doctor did his investigation and told me I dont have the Roids the other doctors were telling me over and over I had.  He told me I had two fissures that would not heal because the bowel movements kept aggrivating them causeing pain and bleeding.  He recommended that I have the LIS surgery and he also repair the fissures.  I was sketched out but after 9 months of pain and suffering I felt like I just couldnt fight it any more and had to do this.  The doctor told me the operation wouldnt be bad and almost like instant relief.  He told me I would be a little sore and may have a little pain or discomfort with my first or second bowel movement but he wouldnt forsee me being in pain after that.  I went in yesterday morning for the operation and it went smoothly.  They put me under with anesthisa and I woke up in the recovery room where they told me I was done.  Supprisingly I felt NO pain AT ALL.  I take that back the only discomfort I had was my hand where they put the IV in that felt a little sore.  The doctor came and talked to me and told me he fixed the issues with the fissures and completed the LIS.  He said for the first couple days it might be hard to determine the difference inbetween the air and actual bowel movements I would be passing.  About 10 mins later the nurse told me to try and urinate and then I could be released to my wife and all that I got up on my own and walked on my own to the bathroom and urinated by myself and came back to my bed in the recovery room and got dressed by myself all without any pain.  I felt remarkable.  I went home and layed around all day yesterday coming and going from the kitchen, living room, and bed room.  Absolutely no pain at all.  Today is day two, I havent had a bowel movement yet but dont really feel it is going to be that bad when I do because I actually feel great.  The doctor told me to take it easy for a little while and gave me 5 days off work to ensure I didnt rush anything but I honestly feel like I can go run a half marathon right now and I am actually getting antsy sitting around the house.  I decided to write all of this here cause I came here to look for information before I had my operation.  If there is any doubt about the operation, feel alittle at ease and just go with it.  It is worth it I got my life back and you can too.  I pray everyone that goes through what I went through can have good results like I did from a quality surgeon.
Hello Sir/Madam,
    Good to know that u feel relaxed n happy after the treatment. Have a Good Speedy Recovery & we pray for ur GOOD HEALTH & LONG LIFE. My son aged 23 yrs has Chronic Pancreatitis & recently between 14-24 Sept 2011---Endoscopic, Endo Sonography, X-Rays etc..etc.. performed. & then ERCP, & SPHINCTEROTOMY was done in order to flush out the stones---now he is feeling comfortable.
  May I know which Hospital & the Doctor(s) you consulted ??Could you kindly write their Ph Nos & the E-Mail addresses  so that I make use of these in case of any problem that occurs in my or in my son's life !!!!
Hope to get an early reply.---With BEST WISHES to you---Thanks & regards---SKLAL,Ajmer(India)
hi im happy to hear that your surgery and recovery went well i was wondering if i can get your surgens number and location i need a good onr. thanks
Well I just had IAS surgery on Thursday and boy it was painful not to scare anyone, I had no health Ins so my doctor performed it in his office without ANTHESIA - didn't know what i was getting myself into. Wow - I no - I made the right decision because he saved me $20,000 and only charged me $110 for visit. Doctor was awesome, he will be getting Christmas gifts from me for years to come. I had a fissure for over a year because of bad BM and it was getting worse and worse. Could not take the bleeding and pain anymore so I decided to have the surgery. First BM last night very constipated so it was painful, took a siz bath after  BM and it felt better, then this morning had to have another BM because of constipation and all of it finally was released, took another siz bath and now I feel much better, little bleeding which I was thankful for. But my question is how can I get regular again tired of constipation because I'm worried that with the hard BM it will damaged my surgery and end up with the same thing. Anyways hope no one ever gets one of these because if they do, I  wish them the best.  
Had a sphinceterotomy earlier today!  Been suffering with painful bowel movements and 3-4 hours of pain afterwards daily!   This has been for the past 2 months.  Surgery was scheduled for today and I went to the hospital in pain after am Bowel movement.   Surgery was short and sweet and I was home 1.5 hrs after the surgery.   Very little pain/discomfort so far.   Taking metamucil and stool softeners....and a pain pill as precaution.    Feel relieved to have it over.   Hopefully the days to come will be good!
It's now been 48 hrs since the surgery!   I am alittle tender/sore but no real pain.   No pain meds for the past 40 hrs.   Definitely taking it easy....but really feel good...NO MORE SPASMS.   Had my first bowel movement...with no pain at all!!   After 2 months of agonizing pain....it is SUCH a relief!    The spasms and pain before surgery were so much worse than the surgery and recovery.    I am so happy and wish I had done it sooner and I had been in tears daily!      
I had the lateral internal sphincterotomy done a month ago. The physician removed a skin tag which had placed itself next to the fissure. The pain from the cutting of the sphincter muscle was absolutely NOTHING. The pain from the skin tag was painful for a day or two at most. My BM pain wasn't close to what they were prior to the surgery. However, it hasn't healed at all so I have to go back on the Dilan cream which is supposed to increase blood flow to the fissure area. Let's just say that if I had to have it done again because it didn't "take", I definately would
After reading this - all consults seem to happen very fast in the US - I am in the UK and have suffered with anal fissure for many years. Each time I have a bad episode caused by constipation i visit my doctor and t hen get on a 6 - 8 week waiting list to see the colo rectal surgeon. Twice now I have had Botox Injections - the first in 2006 and again 8 months ago - I am now sitting here having been in absoloute (no other way to describe this) agony all day after BM. Am taking Lactulose (bowel softener) twice daily which causes wind and increases the pain as the wind puts pressure on the fissure.
There was no follow up appointment to either of my day case surgeries and i didnt even feel any benefit from the last one.
I am going back to doctor tomorrow to hopefully get another referral to Hospital - and in the meantime just live in dread of the bathroom - I have cried 4 times today which is so unlike me.
Very scared at the thought of LIS and not even sure if my surgeon offers this as he didnt seem to keen when I mentioned it the first time. The second visit I didint even get to see him - just his registrar who was very dismissive and when I asked about "what if this does not work " replyed that i would not need to return. I feel very let down by the NHS after reading all the posts from America
Had sphincterotomy 12 days ago. Very little pain/bleeding after the first couple of days. However, the main issue that I have been dealing with is constant itching. Saw my colon and rectal surgeon yesterday, and he said the itching was a result of healing, and to give it two more weeks. I am hoping that he is right, as this itching is getting annoying. It is especially worse after a BM and after sitting down for a long time. Also getting a foul smelling discharge. I heard that this can last for a couple of months. Anyhow, just wanted to briefly share my experience. Good luck to all who have underwent this procedure.
Hello everybody,
             I have had a lateral sphincterectomy five days ago and I am not feeling any better, the pain is still present and there is so much wind inside so that I cannot pass urine as normal even I feel the urge to. When I have to pass urine I have to force and the wind and gas come out with some soiling and then I feel a little better and this goes on several times a day. Very bad sensation and discomfort. Can anyone tell me if I can use the manual anal dilator now, i.e after only five days after surgery. Because I fear that the anal passage may become smaller after healing and thats why I want to do some dilation manually. I know that it would be very painful. My case is a very complicated one and one of the surgeon even told me that I need to be put in the Guiness world of record book. In fact I had undergone seven operation over a period of three years for haemorrhoids and anal fissure. For all these three years there isn't one day without pain and the pain last for seven long hours. When I read so many comments and experiences lived on this post I can say that all are just minor ones compared to mine. So many times I told my wife that I want to put an end to my life as I can no longer bear this pain. Its horrible and I have seen so many doctors and till now no one seem to be able to cure me. Each time I undergo a surgical operation my situation worsen. I always pray that I get better but I dont know when I shall be able to see some light at the end of the tunnel. Please if there is anyone who can help me to find a cure, I shall be most grateful. I thank you beforehand. Here is my e-mail address:
***@****
I'm a 38 year old male that had a fissure about 17 years ago. With the first fissure, medication and sitz baths seemed to had kicked the problem. However, about 4 weeks ago I had a flare up. I initially thought i was developing hemroids or something, but the pain while standing and relief once seated assured me that it was again an anal fissure. Unfortunately, all of this started while on a safari. Once back to a developed area i was able to get a local African pharmacist to give me a lido cream to get me home. Once home my doc prescribed nitro cream. This only gave me headaches and dizziness. And by this point the pain was persistant. The pain had gotten so severe that i was unable to sleep. So, 7 days ago i found myself going to the ER because of the pain. I was immediately scheduled for LIS. The LIS was performed about 6 hours after being admitted to the hospital. The admission was done so that i could be given stronger med's for the pain in that nothing else seemed to be working.

After awakening from the procedure i found myself in no pain just discomfort. It was, however, when i got up to urinate that the pain struck. It was pain primarily from the use of the muscles. Fortunately though the fissure pain was gone. Talk about a relief. The pain I had felt prior to the procedure, I would not wish upon anyone. The discomfort i feel now is inconvient but berable. The pain from the fissure I could say was immediately gone. The spasms too had stopped.

I was kept in the hospital over night, in part due to the late hour in which the procedure had been done. I had no BM that night nor the next day. It was on day 2 post LIS that it came. It was painful but I contribute the pain largely due to the gauze plug that had been in place and needed to pass before anything else could. All my BMs thereafter have been uncomfortable but not extremely painful. I will need to find the right stoolsoftener combo to keep things flowing smoothly and regularly. I also find it imperative to have a BM everyday. Although, I still have extreme fear everytime the urge is there to deficate.

The only real issue I have, only being 1 week out post LIS, is a fowel smelling discharge. I think someone else in the thread mentioned the same problem. It is this discharge and fear of agrivating the incesion that has prevented me from really getting on with my regular routine, because honestly I feel strong enough to resume my regular activities. While I pray I never have to go through this again, I will say, going through with the surgery was the right decision for me.

im considering having the LIS done after years with fissures. i workout at the gym quite a lot and im wondering if u guys have an idea of how long the operation would put u out of rigorous excercise before u could get back into it?
I too gym 4 to 5 times a week. By week 3 I was back in the gym doing my usual cardio routine. By week 4 i was back to moderate lifting. I felt i could do more but didnt want to risk it. All is well now. My surgeon actually told me to get back to exercising right after my first follow up visit, as long as it wasnt bike riding or something similar. Personally, if your case is pretty cut and dry, you shouldnt be out of the gym very long.
ok thats good to know thanks for the reply
OMG clyf I just read your post.. I really hope you are feeling better now.. I see its a few months after your surgery. I felt so bad when I read yours.. most posts are pretty positive after LIS surgery..
I just had it about 11 weeks ago... and I am still recovering.. the fissure pain is gone.. but the discomfort.. the leakage... the burning.. is always there after a BM. It FINALLY started to get a LITTLE better after the 8th week.. so I am hopeful it is a slow but steady healing.
I really hope you are feeling better now.
I live in Hawaii too. Same boat as you. Did you find someone?
Is your anus cut open with the LIS?  I'm so scared. Thinking about surgery but scared of pain and incontinence. Thanks so much.
I had my LIS almost 4 weeks ago, i got to tell you the first couple weeks were rough, The Dr well place a Drainage plug in your anal cavity, do not remove it it is there to prevent clots, mine lasted for 4 days and i had to take it out.

The First couple movements are painfull i cant lie about it, however i know it is Gross, go to your Home Medical Supply and get a Sitz Bath basin, fill with Hot water as much as ur bottom can stand it, sit in the water for a few minutes, TRUST ME it well help, remember to Breathe and dont push.

i dealt with Pain for 2 weeks then one day no pain at all, thats been 2 weeks ago, Life is wonderful again,   there well be alot of Drainage, Yellow and Orange color and with Blood, it is normal and well start to Lessen in 2 to 3 Weeks.

Guys and Gals, Please Don't Be afraid of this Surgery, it literally is a Godsend, i hope everyone has a Speedy Recovery time just hang in there.
They do make a small incision on the side of the Rectum where the fissure is, on that side they well make a small cut on the Sphincter, depending on the fissure's size they well suture it up.

please i well help everyone if i can with support on this, if you have a Question please email me at ***@****.   trust me this surgery is a godsend
I had anal fissures and got Botox injected about 3 years ago. Everything was great and had no reoccurrence until now. I am thinking of getting the LIS. Has anyone had Botox injections and then had LIS? Does LIS stop reoccurrence forever? Thank you
The cream is what's making you feel 90% better. You could try nifedipene prescription as well...  it might make you feel 100% better.  But following your advice and eating nothing but apples will hinder the healing process. Apples do not have every nutrient needed for a person to survive...   anyone that follows "to the T" will eventually get really sick, wither, and die...   with a very painful death because their fissure will have gotten horribly worse and every other digestive organ in their body will be hurting and failing due to eating only apples.
After reading the comments on this thread I went in for the ILS surgery with high hopes of a quick recovery. I had been dealing with an anal fissure for over a year - caused during a routine colonoscopy. The fissure did not respond to any conventional treatments.

I am now one week post surgery and I can't concur with most of the comments on the post surgery experience. I have had excrutiating pain since day one, that is slightly mitigated by the drugs, but since narcotics cause constipation I am afraid to medicate too heavily. In addition to the ILS the doctor repaired two small hemorroid/skin tags. so there are quite a few stitches. Every bowel movement, hard or soft has been brutally painful with associated bleeding. The idea that I would be functioning and back to a full work schedule within a week was ludicrous. As much as I wanted to get past the nightmare of the fissure, if I knew what I was up for with this recovery I'm not sure I would have signed up for surgery. My experience seems atypical according to this thread - but - be forewarned - not all recoveries are as easy as described. This surgery should include several days hospitalization in my opinion. Moving around in my case is very painful and I constantly need ice packs, liquids, help getting into a sitz bath, etc.  Argh. I am hoping for relief soon.
Thanks for your post... I'm not alone! : ) Although your experience seems much tougher than most comparatively speaking… I can sort of identify.  My recovery is not so severe as yours, I'm 2 wks post surgery and doing better (less daily pain medication).  I cannot fathom resuming a "normal" routine for at least another week, maybe two.  I’m the person whose pain meds expire so I’m pretty tough.  I believe I’ll finish these meds and need a refill when all is said and done.  Regardless, I’m glad I had the surgery even knowing the recovery is much harder than I anticipated.  I’m certain the end result (no pun intended) is shaping up to be the answer/relief I was hoping for.  
Hi Guys,

I had my fissure surgery exactly 7 days back, i have a bit of swelling and lil pain, also while i am sitting or lying some poop comes out and this happens almost all day long since i have had surgery, is this normal???? plz plz reply
Had LTS 2 months ago and it looks like I am lucky enough to be the 1%! I have not healed. Silver nitrate twice now due to granulation tissue and within a day.... Bleeding again! Not to mention a very difficult time with passing gas, having bowel movements, or sitting for more than an hour. I have a constant ( but very slow) bleed! Having to wear incontinence pads 2 months after! Any advice or help would be great!
Hi there AFS (anal fissure sufferes) i am a 44  year old  male. I have been suffering from a fissure for 2 years now and i dont think i need to mention the pain and life changing event that it has caused me.
I have just had the LIS opperaton done yesterday and am so excited about having my life back. Due to my heat condition i did not have a general anestetic but rather a epidural which i must say is they way to go. After the spinal injection i could immediately feel a warm sensation down my lower back and then suddenly my anal mussels just relaxed and for the first time in 2 years i felt no pain, no pressure down there. It was heaven. The surgeon took about 15 minutes and that was it. After he finished he came over to me and told me that in 21years that was the worst AF he had ever see. It was so deep that the muscle was visible, and why did i take 2 years to do the procedure. Well its day 1 and there is no need for pain killers still have not had a BM yet. I am sure it will not be that bad. It seem like we are our own worst enemy in this never ending circle of pain.
I believe that with the correct mind set we can beat this monster. We fear BM thus delaying it as much as possible which in turn causes constipation and reopening of the fissure.  We need to accept and understand our condition and then do the correct things and all will be well again.
1. Soft stools are very important. Do not put them off.
2. Diet change will only do you a world of good anyway.
3. Dont wait or fell embasased about talking to or seeing someone about this. The longer you take the longer the suffering.

I cant wait for the days when i look forward to a good old poop again.

So i wish you all a speedy recovery and a healthy new life.

I had LIS surgery about 6 days ago , the first 2 days SUCKKKEDDDD. I didn't pass stool until the 3rd day, which wasn't so much painful as uncomfortable . The only pain I really have is tightening my sphincter muscle after passing stool but other than that things have been okay . Of course after every bowel movement I always follow up with a sits bath then use the shower head to rinse up there .. Just to be sure it's clean . My question is that is it normal that I have been passing stool like 3 or 4 times A DAY ? Lol that has to be a good thing right ? Good luck to everyone who has had this surgery and just remember to keep it clean .
hey mina, i have the same problem as you, despite eating all the 'right foods', my stools are hard at times. how are feeling nowdays? was that surgery worth it/
i'm considering LIS, my fissure is way too much after almost two years.
hope you're doing better. i haven't had the surgery, but thinking about it; and pain, yes, something i can totally relate to; unbearable. any changes in your health, did you have to keep looking for another cure?
Please go ahead with the surgery... I RECOMMEND evry single one of you with this minor surgery... I was the one who was checking and googling all day long regarding anal fissure and its treatment. I was soooo much scared with the word surgery and the side effect that may cause after surgery.. I almost had 1 and half month of pain in my anal during every morning BM...(the pain was like sooo worse..i never ever had such pain in my life tym before...I was so sorry for myself.. I had really long hard time ...Its been 5 dayz today with my surgery and believe me its a heaven like relief..I feel like i am finally in a happy-la-la-land..... but today morning i had hard BM... but with lil pain and burn (but i trurly trust this is caused becoz i had a chicken last night and lil unhealthy diet...) TRUST me ppl, anual fissure pain can be removed only wid surgery.. I have Nitroglycerin for almost month with sitz bath, but didnt work out ...I use to have painkiller each day after BM ...it woz hard for me to sit in office chair fo long...(God was soo mean to give me such a terrible pain ) ...But again God gifted me a doctor advise and Finally with lotds of fare went for surgery....life is getting back to normal like before..and i wish it continues good.. I pray for all of you and suggest to go for surgery like MDUA or LIS if ur fissure is not healing....

Life is beautiful.... god bless all of us.
I have a 3 month old and I'm experiencing everything you posted. I saw the surgeon yesterday and he says I need to have the surgery - it is not going to heal with out it. I'm very scared but reading your post helped me feel better. The surgery is scheduled for this coming Monday (3 days away).
thanks
Hope your surgery went well - i wrote a description of my situation under a new thread and if anyone is not sure what to expect or just wants to hear another story to see if yours is similar then check it out - 2013 Anal Fissure - Lateral internal sphincterotomy
I had the surgery 6 days a go and was in the hospital for 1 day, when I woke up I was getting dilaudid every 4 hours and in between lortab/hydrocodon. I was in constant pain and didn't sleep that night, every time I moved i would moan in pain, my sphincter would contract often and it would hurt really bad! I was leaking blood and the nurse kept changing the bad on my bed. The doctor left gauze in my rectum and said it would dissolve but it was painful and uncomfortable.  When I got home i laid down the first day mostly on my stomach. The 2nd day home I walked around, drove my car but when sitting up right for extended periods it would start to throb! 3rd day I felt a little better until my first bowl movement in 4 days, i had been taking stool softeners so it was soft but when it came out it was unbearable i shook, cried, moaned loudly and crawled to the bathroom to soak in water, the pain unbearable pain lasted 30-45 minutes and then just constant pain and contractions for hours, i can barley walk and when i move sharp severe pain. I then lay on my stomach for 4 - 5 hours. by the afternoon i can walk and only certain movements or a contraction will bring a sharp severe pain that last seconds. Day 7, i just had a bowl movement the pain isn't as bad as the first two bowl movements on days 3, 4. yesterday day 6 and today day 7 is about the same. This is much worse then the issues/fissure before the surgery. I'm wearing adult depends pull ups because blood is leaking through anything i wear and on to the couch and bed. last night i leaked so much the blood went through my diper and unto the bed. The doctor said it's normal and this will last two weeks. Why don't we get infections from waste going over fresh wounds??? i hope this works because i can't go through this again and I just want to have a movement without pain! anyone else have these issues?
I'm really sorry to hear you had such a difficult experience!

I wanted to jump online to share some advice after my fairly positive experience of having a LS just over six months ago, as I looked up several forums before deciding to have surgery and frankly found many stories quite frightening.I am a healthy female in my early 30s. I had a single fissure which i'd been putting up with for over a year, and had been misdiagnosed as a haemaroid by two GPs before I finally got to see a colorectal specialist who recommended the LS procedure. I'm glad I got it, and I wish there had of been more constructive information and advice available to me. So....

Firstly, I recommend to anyone having these kinds of problems - START INCREASING THE FIBRE DIET RIGHT NOW. Do it gradually, to avoid discomfort, and drink plenty of water. But regardless of whether you are healthy, struggling with a fissure, or recovering from the surgery, having a high fibre diet is going to improve your situation immensely. The worst thing is to have a hard or very soft BM after surgery - so get straight back into healthy high fibre eating, plenty of water and a gentle laxative so the system can heal. I increased the fibre in my diet after booking in for surgery. By the time I went to hospital only a few weeks later, the fissure had begun to heal enough that the Dr decided it was unnecessary to do an additional procedure to seal it (saving me some money and unnecessary intervention).

Secondly, ensure you see a well-respected colon specialist and go to a quality hospital if you can. I suspect the quality of care you get before and after this procedure can make a big difference to your recovery. I had a general anaesthetic for the procedure. Insist on getting pain medication and laxatives from the hospital post-surgery. I had surgery in the morning, was home by the afternoon, and even managed to go out for a healthy Japanese meal that night. I had no trouble with my first BM. I felt delicate, bled a bit for about 2 days, and took about 4 days off work for the procedure and recovery. My hospital offered post-operative support, and I had follow up appointments booked with the specialist.

Thirdly, do expect full recovery to take about a month. I found the specialist hopeless in terms of discussing what recovery would be like. The internet was not much help either. My experience is that the first week is uncomfortable (sharp pain in rectum, but not so bad I couldn't do anything I wanted to). Before surgery I had stocked up on products to help my recovery - liquid soap and soft sponge for the shower, wet wipes, pain killers, pads and Metamucil. I started to feel much better after 1 week, but it took about 4 weeks to really feel 'well', though you should understand you won't feel 'back to normal' or the way you were before - the surgery changes the muscle structure of your rectum, so it's a one-way change that relieves the problem by changing your body, if you get what I mean.

Thirdly, something no one explains to you is how going to the toilet changes after the LS. My experience is that it can be difficult to get a 'clean finish' after a BM, and toilet paper can really aggrevate the area badly. These days I always have a discreet pack of wet wipes at home and in my bag. Check that the product is flushable - binning them isn't practical and you don't want the embarrassment of blocking the plumbing. Avoid cheap nasty babywipes, they are rough. There's a good range of feminine wipe products available at chemists/supermarkets, but I'm not sure what's out there for the guys - perhaps there's a surgical/hospital product you could order.

Fourth, do tell your close friends and family about what you're going through. It's excellent for a good laugh, and people really are very understanding. My partner was great support to me, through this very unsexy experience. My best friend also chose to come stay with us so that I had company while at home after the surgery. After months of putting up with the pain and inconvenience of the fissure, it was a relief to be able to talk about the issue - and you'll probably find out that you're not the only one with this problem!

I hope this post helps people regain their quality of life shortly after having this procedure. Just remember, there are things you can do before and after that will make the experience smoother - don't expect this to be an instant fix and do think about permanently increasing fibre in your diet, as it has heaps of health benefits, not just related to your digestion either!

I had my first sphincerectomy 2 years ago after horrible fissure pain causing anal spasm, this worked for a couple of months and boom pain again, I was so hopelessly depressed and visited my surgeon again only for him to tell me it didn't work properly, I went in for my 2nd sphincerectomy surgery this time lasting 6 months with general upkeep high fibre diet and loads of water, pain began again, I have been suffering a while now and am at breaking point.. Nobody understands properly unless its happening to oneself.. I'm now hesitant whether a 3rd surgery is again not going to work and in turn create more scar tissue.. Has anybody been through this horrific roller coaster and what did u do? :,-(
I had this surgery in December of 1999. Before that I had drips of bright red blood on and off for 10 years I believe. I went to a couple of doctors inbetween that time that just had me use *** cream. I think one was called Corticaid.
Anyway the last doc I went to in 1999 explained to me this option.
In my case he took donor tissue from higher up on the *** crack just below the top of the crack. He used that to fill in the area that he cut into the sphincter muscle. The fissure healed fine. The issue I'm having is the donor area. It took a year for it to heal and the doctor said that was normal. It's now 2013 and I would say for about the last few years I've been having itchy and dry/sore issues with the donor area. It's like a permanent deep wrinkle there that won't heal up totally. It's a chronic issue now with itching and soreness. I'm worried it will turn into some kind of cancer.
(Also had a period of anal leakage a couple of years ago which would cause itching right in the bunghole that has seemed to clear up)
...funny thing about the whole thing above is that when the drops of bright red blood in the toilet would happen(right after a BM) with my fissure I never felt pain or discomfort.
I live in UK.  Have had a chronic fissure for 5 years off and on but on for about 2 years.  Saw own GP - rubbish but eventually seen by colorectal surgeon at the hospital I work at.  He prescribed Normacol (stool softener) and at least 2 litres of water per day plus other drinks.  For a short time this worked.  Then on to Diltiazem cream.  On Friday 13th December had fissurectomy and botox.  Three weeks post op and still feeling pretty miserable.  I dont understand all the wonderful comments about how amazing the surgery is.  I was in agony after the surgery for days and although the pain is much better I still dread going to the toilet and have terrific pain for a few hours after.  I have follow up appt on 17th Feb and hoping that by then the pain will have diminished.  I was very bruised after surgery and have a sentinel tag and since fissurectomy another small tag.  I look a mess down there.  I think in the UK we do things differently.  No anaesthetic cream to apply (I had to ask for it), use paracetamol and ibuprofen (basic pain killers) and drink plenty.  That sums up my treatment.  I just wondered if this will get better or am I destined to live with this chronic pain.  It does affect my life - my poor husband has to put up with my moaning daily and it does make me pretty miserable.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks. KK
Hi CS,
I am doing my surgery on Friday and I too am very nervous...
I know you posted this a long time ago...what has your experience been since the surgery?
What preparations did you have to make prior to surgery and what did you experience post-surgery?
Looking forward to hearing from you!
Thanks,
Nishy
Hey I just had my surgery on Friday December 28, 2013 and this surgery has been alot tougher than I though.  I'm on day 13 and I go for my post op tomorrow and I am trying to be optimistic but worried.  I have been laying on my stomach/side since the surgery as I have been in pain.  The bowel movements are the worse.  Even though I take the stool softeners and have soft stools, its the excruciating pain of pushing the BM out.  I am often sweating and have to stand over the sink afterwards to regain my strength which takes about fifteen twenty minutes and then I get immediately in the tub to take a warm sitz bath.  I'm starting to get depressed as I expected to go back to work last week but here we are going into week three and the pain from the BM aren't better.  The pain lasts for hours too.  This is worse than the pain of the Fissure.  I just pray and hope things get better.  SOON!!!
My after surgery experience is very similar to you. It's already a week after the surgery and I still can't sit and a lot of pain through the day, especially after BM. Could you please share how long it took for you to get pain free?
GS
I hope you are pain free by now because your story sounds like mine. I need something to look forward to. I had my surgery on Feb 21 and stayed in the hospital for a week for pain management. It was excruciating.  I had a stomach virus Aug 2013. Constant diarrhea. Had pain after that but thought it would go away. It got worse. Finally I went to a colon/rectal specialist at the beginning of Feb 2014.  He said I had an anal fissure and needed surgery. He also said he was going to do a sphincterectomy. I didnt question it because I wanted to put my trust in his 29 years experience. I did mention bowel control after fooling with the sphincter muscles. He said dont worry.  I read that surgery on the muscle is a last resort for "chronic fissures." I didnt have that.  I never had trouble with constipation or using the bathroom. It was a freak thing from the three week virus. Well almost two weeks since surgery and I am still in pain but my number one concern and worry is the urge to push. I cannot relax my bottom area. I want to believe it is from swelling that may still be there but I am worried that the now cut muscle is weak. I took laxative and stool softener. I have been on a liquid diet. I think I am pretty well cleaned out but still have the urge to push.  Does anyone else have that and will it go away?
Hi all,
I'm a 22 year old female and have had an anal fissure for a year.
i just really want to say thank you for all the comments because it really helped me make my decision for surgery. Today is the 5th day after my surgery and I just had another BM (3 since my surgery, none for first two days thankfully haha).. It was painful but it just felt more sore after the BM was done. The spasming and shocks are not really there anymore. The achingness does make you want to lay om your side though. I did have blood in my stool but iT has been fading. So just hang in there, I have my post appt tomorrow and I am just hoping this all goes well. the surgery was pretty easy and honestly it was a lot easier than what I thought it would be, thankful for general anastesia... Didnt need pain meds, just ibuprofen after a BM for rhe soreness.. Try not to retract or clench when you have your BM too especially bc we are probBly used to it by having the spasms were used to haha, just relaxed and try to think its normal again, because it is easier to go :)

Dont be scared to get the sphincterotomy and dont be scared atwhatever age you are, this is very common, hang in there and dont live withthe pain...

Thank u once again for all the comments everyone, blessings to u all..
Also if u have constipation bc of this, try chia seeds in ur water, i heard theyre great :) i asked someone whi had this and now they go regularly 2x a day :)

I will add a few weeks from now on progress :)

I was reading on the web regarding anal fissure surgery and I came across your post. I too got my AF as a result of child birth 14 months ago. I basically have had the same experience as you. I'm trying to decide whether or not to do the LIS and fearing that it would create more problem. Could you please give me an update as how you are doing now? Are you still pain free?
Please please write back to me as I am reaching the end of the line with this pain :(
For any information regarding fissures, check out this website.

http://anal-fissure.org
I have the same problem.  I had the surgery for the fissure 2 weeks ago and most of the pain is gone.  However that throbbing pain after a movement lasts for hours.  It makes walking or sitting a problem.
I have the same problem.  I had the surgery for the fissure 2 weeks ago and most of the pain is gone.  However that throbbing pain after a movement lasts for hours.