Gastroenterology Community
Laxative Dependent

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Laxative Dependent

I have become very dependent on laxatives in recent years. Within the past few months, my dependency has gotten even worse. I've tried to quit taking them and just use Colace and increase my fiber and water intake, but that just caused me to be extremely constipated for two weeks. My life has begun to revolve around my dependency. It's gotten to the point where if I don't take at least 8 laxatives (granted, they are stool softeners with a stimulant laxative, but I am sure that's still not healthy) every other day, then the bottom of my stomach bulges out and becomes very hard. Could I have some sort of medical condition? Or is my constipation just getting worse because I am so dependent on laxies? I would greatly appreciate any insight that you have because this is becoming increasingly worrisome to me. My grandmother just had to have part of her small intestine removed and she too has spent many years suffering from constipation and laxative dependency.
There are examples whereby constipation is chronic and a treatment (probably of last resort) is a total colectomy.

I underwent this operation over five years ago - but not for constipation - for torrential diverticular bleeding.  In response to another Medhelp patient's question, I recorded my experience on:-

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show.523166

You might like to click on to this posting in case you decide that you wish to contemplate this operation.

regards
Morecambe