Lazy Colon
I have severe constipation and will go days without a bowel movement.  I was prescribed the powder gylocolax to try and regulate my constipation.  This medicine is given to patients to clean their colon before a colonoscopy.  I have been taking it for over 2 yrs.  If I miss one day of this medicine I will not have a movement for 2-3 days.  After my colonoscopy I was told I have a lazy colon.  What does that mean??  This medicine is working less and less. If taken  daily I was told it would regulate me and I would be fine.  I have severe bloating and I feel like I need to go but it never moves enough to have a movement.  I have been borderline toxic on several occassions.  I become ill and feel nauseated.  I start to sweat and it last for 2-3 hours before I finally have a movement.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried a high fibre diet?  For instance lots of pulverised fresh fruit to which organic bran has been added.  Likewise pulverised fresh vegetables + bran.  Wholemeal bread, no junk food, colas etc etc??

There are postings on Medhelp in which a total colectomy has been suggested as a treatment of last resort for an inactive colon>>>>severe continuous constipation etc.

I underwent this treatment - but for a different problem.  In response to another Medhelp patient's question I recorded my experience on:-

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/523166

You may want to discuss with with a G.I. specialist

regards
Morecambe