Gastroenterology Community
Leakage After Bowel Movements

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Leakage After Bowel Movements

For over two months I have been having what I refer to as leakage after every bowel movement. My BM's are formed but soft and they are followed with a messy liquid when I wipe. The liquid does not drip out or anything, I just notice that it takes a lot of paper to wipe myself clean. After wiping myself clean I will leave and usually after only a few minuets pass I feel a wetness in the anal area and need to return to wipe again. It's never pieces of stool that I need to wipe, just a liquid that usually looks just like the prior bowel movement I had. This continues for hours after the bm but is almost always eliminated with taking a shower and running warm water over the anal area. I am 30 years old and there is no fmaily history of colon cancer or other problems that I am aware of. I was taking an antibiotic at the time this began but I was only on it for 9 days and this problem has continued for well over two months. I have seen my GP twice for this and he had stool samples checked for blood and some infections and everything came back normal. He also suggested a diet high in fiber and taking a fiber supplement which I have been doing with no signs of improvement. He sent me to see a Gastoenterologist this past week and my symptoms had the doctor a little baffled. Of course as with the past two visits with my GP, he also did a digital rectal exam and said he felt nothing abnormal. He made an appointment to use a scope to take a look at the lower part but said he doesn't think I have anything serious. I have been searching the web for weeks trying to find information on my symptoms but I have had very little luck. It seems like I have a problem that isn't very usual! I just started taking probiotics but I have seen no change yet. Anyone out there ever heard of anything like this?
  • Anal Seepage (23 replies):
    Over the past few weeks, I have been experiencing some a...[more]
  • anal leakage (4 replies):
    I have anal leakage ;what can I do to stop it? This di...[more]
  • anal leakage (1 replies):
    I am a 26 year old male with Hepatititis C. I have had i...[more]
  • Stool Leakage (2 replies):
    Okay, I am a 25 year old heterosexual male. I am relati...[more]
  • Leakage (1 replies):
    What could be some causes of anal leakage? It's to the p...[more]
Prior to all this, did you ever have constipation?  What sometimes happens is a "ball" of stool gets lodged and can't move, as a result some stool remains liquid and goes around it, resulting in anal leakage.  This is common in children.  You can try giving yourself an enema, and if this doesn't work, an untrasound or xray would show if your have impacted stool. It's not serious, just the leakage is difficult to deal with.  Take care....
Yup. Same issues here but without taking antibiotics prior. I also noticed that most of my movements are flat. I've set an appointment recently to see if there is a correlation between the two. In the mean time I've found that not spending so much time on the toilet (15-20 minutes) helps a lot! I don't know why but for some reason spending less time on the toilet, even if you feel like you may not be empty helps with the seepage problem. I am a 30 year old male in fair shape.
I have the same problem and it can be embarrassing....I have had a colonoscopy and testing and no answer as yet.  
I have this exact problem.  Never had it before I took cefuroxime for a stubborn lung infection.  The diarrhea with cefuroxime was so severe it caused bleeding and uncontrollable bowels.  A colonoscopy showed nothing.  Now what?

I am 57 and have had this for about 2 years now ,I cant find any answers either I do  have IBS but I cant see why it would be any different ,HAS ANYONE GOT ANY HELP TO  STOP THIS LEAKAGE  thank you