Gastroenterology Community
Left Mid Abdominal Discomfort, Bloating, Bowel Concern

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I'm a 26 year old female. I'm in shape, exercise 6 days/week and eat a well balanced, clean diet. I don't have any allergies, never had any illnesses.

A month ago, I noticed a streak of blood in my stool. This has never happened before, and it hasn't happened since, but it concerned me. I do not have a history of cancer in my family.

Due to the shock, I decided to do the Health Plus Super Colon Cleanse. I thought with the weight training I do and the amount of protein I intake, that maybe I didn't have enough fibre in my diet. This is a 10 day oral supplement taken in the AM/PM. I know colon cleanses are used by those with poor diets or irregular bowel movements, but I went ahead and did it anyway.

For 10 days, I had normal bowel movements, nothing weird, no blood. I didn't change my diet while on the cleanse, continued to eat the same portions/variety of foods. Once finished, I continued my regimen, and my bowel movements were totally regular. A week or 2 after the cleanse, I started to notice bloating and gas, more frequent stools and a constant dull feeling in my mid left abdomen. It isn't pain, just a "full" feeling. Another week after that, I saw my doc. She recommended I go on probiotics for 2 months to restore my gut flora. I also asked to take a stool test, sent it in 6 days ago, haven't heard back.

I've been on probiotics for a week. Although the gas has kind of subsided, I am still bloated, and feel full. Not so much in my stomach, lower. I don't feel "empty", even after I pass a stool. There's almost a pressure down there, like unfinished business. Again, I was totally fine up until about 3 weeks ago. It's an annoying feeling. I almost pressure myself to pass stools now just to try to get rid of the feeling. Sometimes in the morning, I'll pass a large stool, and later in the day it will be much smaller because I already went that day, but the feeling is constant. Any advice will help. I'm tempted to go to ER to get X-rays/scans.