Gastroenterology Community
Left Side Abdominal Discomfort/Pain under Rib Cage

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I am 46 years old and for the past 5 years or so I have been having pain/discomfort on and off on the left side of my abdomen under my rib cage.  I feel very bloated, full of trapped gas.  I usually notice it more after eating, and it can last for several hours, almost always with episodes of needing to pass gas and diarrhoea (never constipation).  My appetite, sleep and health are generally all fine otherwise, with no noticeable weight loss/gain, no fatigue, no fever.  I would say it is more discomfort from bloating/trapped gas rather than pain.

Any ideas?  Thanks.  

This discussion is related to pain in left side under rib cage.
What testing have you had done? What have you tried as far as meds or other?
Is there any correlation to diet and the occurrence of this problem? Any trigger foods?

Apparently, left side abdominal pain is often more common in women and young adults.

There are lots of common causes of a left sided abdominal pain, enlarged spleen, bowel problems, like diverticulitis, and constipation, to pain arising from muscles and skin over the left side of the abdomen.

I have a friend who has chronic pancreatitis with similar symptoms. You should get this checked out if it's interfering with your everyday life.
I am 25M and have that same dull aching LUQ under the rib fullness type of pain now for 6 months.  It appears from the previous discussions (over >10 years worth) that there could be no anatomic abnormality.  The only concern for you is age, and I agree with Kaneda2112 that you should get it checked out just to be on the safe side.