Gastroenterology Community
Left side abdominal pain with blood and mucus in the stool.

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I have been having pain in my left abdominal area for quite a while now.  I also regularly have pain in my lower back.  I had a child 2 1/2 years ago, and while pregnant had what I believed was a hemmeroid burst, lots of blood in the toilet with a bowel movement which took a lot of straining.  I have always had constipation issues, however about a year ago I became quite regular and was very  happy about this,  However, I have in that same time period noticed red blood on  my stool, sometimes on the toilet paper, and mucus (off and on) with the stool. It isn't a large amount of blood, but it does vary in amount.  It is very common for me to have a bowel movement, and then an hour or so later feel like I have to go again, then simply pass mucus with blood in it.  I have an appointment with a GI doctor this week, however the closer it gets the more scared I become.  I've been dealing with constipation since I was a child, and in the last month or so it will flip flop between an urgent need to go and major constipation.  I eat a lot of fruits, and drink a large amount of water.  I'm just concerned because I am always so tired, it doesn't matter if I have slept or not, and my legs itch a lot.  Any input would be greatly appreciated, as to what to expect at this appointment and what it could possibly be.  I have never met with this type of doctor before.
Anyone have any experience with this?  I'm just scared and wondering if it something like IBS, or something more serious. Any input would be very helpful.  I had a close family friend get rundown feeling and just ingore it, and it turned out to be colon cancer that was pretty advanced by the time she made it to the doctor.  I know I am probably overreacting, but it has me pretty scared, and with a child the thought of something happening to  me, and my daughter growing up without her mom terrifies me.
It would be a bit difficult to give you an idea of what it might be. So many GI issues have exactly the same symptoms. Blood can be 'shed' from many areas of the GI tract. Sometimes you can have an idea of where it's coming from based on the color - the 'redder' the blood, the closer to the 'exit.' Mucus is also a normal component of the fecal material, although most don't notice it unless there's a lot of it as can happen when the canal needs more lubrication or if there's some form of irritation going on.

I, for one, would only be guessing at what's going on.

Please understand that you're not the only one this has happened to. A lot of people have gone through it and a lot of different diagnoses have resulted.

When you see the doc, he'll want to hear/know everything that's happened to bring you to his office. He should also ask you about your family history with medical issues. So make sure you sit down and think through or list everything you can think of. It will help him to decide how to proceed. He may order a blood draw and perhaps some stool samples to get a baseline on those things. Then depending upon his/her questions and your answers, he may want to order more tests.
Thank you for your response.  I wasn't really trying to ask for a diagnosis, more along the lines of what to expect at the first visit.  As I have never been to this type of doctor before, or had anyone in my family deal with these issues, I was just seeking some input.  Thank you again.