Gastroenterology Community
Light Headed/nausea feeling after eating

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

as the tittle says i get that feeling after i eat anything. it can be any type of food in any quantity. i'm male 5ft 9in 175ilbs

i've noticed it happens more in work than at home as well which i find odd.  but i get a slight relief from it if i pass wind or bowel movements ( i know that sounds odd but its true) but then it'll come back. it does wear off after a while but the amount of time various. there is diabietes in my family but i had blood tests just over a month ago and they came back fine, just slightly low blood platelets.

i tried a day on just liquids, well i had breakfast cereal and lunch (which wasn't very big) due to the fact i usually eat alot and i was starving. i did feel alot better but that might of been because i had nothing to upset my stomach.

I have no idea what it is and the doctor just gave me some anti-nausea tablets saying its prob viral and it should pass but its gone past the 2 week mark now.
Tags: nausea
Beside lightheadedness and nausea, you experience any other symptom, like increased heart rate, hunger, sweating?

It sounds like "postprandial hypoglicemia" or "reactive hypoglycemia" and can be a sign of early diabetes. Your glucose level falls after the meal, but it is otherwise normal. Only measurment of glucose after the meal can show this.

Your symptoms are especially obvious after sugary meal? Try to avoid foods with a lot of simple sugars: fruit juices, sweets, cakes, ice-cream, chocolate...

What tests you can have?

- blood glucose level after the meal
- speed of gastric emptying (rapid gastric emptying would cause the same symptoms, as you described).
Thank you for responding Boron,

i have had a racey heart sometimes but that if i'm honest is rare.

other symptoms include the likes of feeling hungry like you said, dry lips,sometimes feel thirsty though i drink plenty of water.

but i get a mix match of them rather than every symptom everytime (except for the light headedness which occurs everytime i eat something). for example might get thirsty and a racy heart one time,

or might get hungry again and ligth headed but not thirsty.

the glucose test i can try tonight both my uncles are diabetics so i will pop round to theres just after eating (one only lives round the corner from me) not sure what levels to be looking for though, any ideas?

whats a speed of gastric emptying?
forgot to post a symptom which just occured now, and has occured before as well. if i don't drink water then passing urine stings slightly, has happened a few times. usually i can go a few days without drinking water (even though i shouldn't really) and passing urine would be fine just the usual dark yellow coloured urine. but now it can happen within in a matter of hours
Glucose level after the meal should be done by a doctor - it is a standarized test with an exactly determined meal. So you can't do this by yourself.

Speed of gastric emptying is another test. They give you a food to eat, which is contrast on x-ray, and then they make x-ray images to see in what time your gaster is emptying. Rapid gastric emptying may cause symptoms, as you have.
http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/gastric_emptying_scan.jsp

If you don't drink enough water, less water will be excreted and it will have higher concentration of bilirubin. This gives urine a dark appearance and more emphasized odor. This normally occurs to everyone who doesn't drink enough. But this means you're dehydrated, so you should drink regularly. Your urine should always be bright yellow or colorless, and you should pass at least 200 ml of urine every morning.

hopefully then my doctor will suggest one or both of these if this doesn't disappear at the end of the week and i have to go back
If he won't suggest, then you do.
I know this is a long shot and you might noy follow this thread after more than a year, but I'm still going to ask: what was the problem you were having? I'm having the same type of weird symptoms fot about 4 months now, did a lot of tests (mostly heart, blood work, neuro) and still don't have an answer.
I feel the same dissiness I'm diabetic I use to do meth cocaine marijuana and drink and smoke but I stopped this symptoms I usually feel everyday what may be wronge with me