Gastroenterology Community
Lightheadedness followed by bowel movement- Help

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hi-
I'm a 30 year old female & have been having this problem on & off thru-out the past few years. I first start off by having a bad lightheadedness followed by severe pains in my lower abdomen (left side) region- After a few minutes I feel as if I am going to black out & end up having a bowel movement- It seems that after the bowel movement I start feeling better- I often drink a Gatorade after due to the light headed feeling- and the rest of the day I feel tired & just not myself. Is there anything that could be causing this? It is very scary for me & has happened while out in public. Any information would be greatly appreciated! I also want to note that the pains in my lower abdomen are not always that intense.

Thank you!
I'm only in my early 20s and I've been having the same problems for a few years also.  I will get an urge to move my bowels and then while I'm having the BM I get an overwhelming feeling, the sweats, quickened breathing, and a feeling that I am going to pass out, but luckily, I have yet to actually faint.  This usually only happens when I have diarrhea but sometimes it can happen for normal movements as well.  I also begin to feel much better after I am able to move my bowels, but afterwards I'm always exhausted, like my body is trying to recuperate from what just happened.  And I absolutely understand how you feel when you say it's happened in public.  I'm always afraid that I will actually pass out in a public bathroom, which would be extremely embarassing.  

If anyone can give me (us) a clear answer to why this happens or what could be causing it, I would be eternally grateful.  It's beginning to really interfer with my everyday life.
Thanks.
male, early 30s, ht/wt proportionate, if on the slimmer side:

Back in Feb I had this isue of cpl of times, and then it didnt reappear until August or so. Now my xperience is different, where the lightheadedness comes AFTER the bowel, not before.

http://*****************/question/index?qid=20081020110410AA1W8kV

and also check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasovagal_syncope

None of these really address the issue, but it's the closest Ive come to an answer.This link, however, provides an epic insight with legendary advice:
http://heartdisease.about.com/cs/arrhythmias/a/Syncope3_2.htm

I'll take my usual 10 am bowel movement and then for 2 hrs after I'll feel just a bit lightheaded, but Ive taken my BP during these spells and I think the reading is a little bit low, but I cant be sure. Have I fainted? No. There is no pain, but probably wouldnt exercise just to be on the safe side. I immediately have to slam down some food, so Ive incoporated a pre-lunch meal into my diet so I have nutrients to hold me over until my usual lunch at 1 pm. This issue doesnt occur every time, and I don't know how to pursue it. DO I eat a larger breakfast so the "boweled" deficit gives me more nourishment to process into energy? Should I hop on the treadmill at work and jog for a bit to increase the heart rate, and blood flow? We feel lightheaed cuz of a redcued flow of blood to the brain, but I might risk something from overexertion in this slightly reduced state that I sometimes find myself in. It's a puzzling set of circumstances.
So Christy, how has your dealings with this progressed? What have your doctors told you? Hope it's been manageable. Contact me if you like!
I have been getting the same problem lately, but I find its before I have a soft stool, and it will happen more than once that day, but not enough to say diarrea (diarrhea). I find that I only get the really soft stools after I have eaten a lot of bread products.
While growing up, my family always had bread products around. I always had a soft stool. I lived on my own and lessened the bread products and had a normal stool. Then when I do eat alot of bread products one day, I am affected that day or the next. I am already lactose intolerant but I think I may be gluten or wheat but haven't been diagnosed. Anyway, the lightheadedness before thesoft bowel movement started only recently. I have been recently diagnosed with gastroistis and earlier, benign positional vertigo.

Do you find the lightheadedness before a bowel movement to happen after eatting lots of rice or pasta or bread products, or dairy? I wonder if I am the only one.

did you ever find out what it was due to because im going through the same thing and its really scaring me?
It is so frustrating that understanding the problem does nothing to help solve it. If it is a vasovagal reflex, ok. So what? The closest to a possible help was the common suggestion to evacuate slowly. Makes sense, so I tried it, and it does not help.
In my personal experience, It feels like the same kind of dizzyness I get after taking antidepressants for the first few days. Both seem to have in common some relation to acetycholine, but thats pretty much all I know,
Nothing I ever done helped to make the dizzyness go away any faster, wheter from the bowel movement or the antidepressants. It always lasts 3 to 4 hours. I just gave up.
Could be splenic flexture syndrome
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers