Gastroenterology Community
Liver Enzymes Elevated. High AST, Norm ALT, Norm GGTP, High Biliruben, ...

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Liver Enzymes Elevated. High AST, Norm ALT, Norm GGTP, High Biliruben, Norm Ultrasound.

I've been recently doing blood work and have also done an ultrasound due to my results of my liver enzymes.  My AST levels are about 92 (double what's normal), AST levels are normal.  The GGTP is also normal.  Total bilirubin is 1.8 (normal at most should be 1.2), and direct biliruben is .4 (regular is .2). The liver ultrasound showed totally normal.  I'm in very good shape while exersizing regularly and eat healthy foods for the most part.  I've heard it could be alcoholic hepatitis but was confused because I really don't drink that much.  Maybe 3-4 glasses red wine a week.  I drank a little more in college but nothing abnormal.  I've always been very active and outgoing.  Never any sort of alcoholic at all. Just wandering what anyone might think and what I can do about it.  I'm currently looking into the problem but thought someone might be able to help out there? What do ya think?
-5 Comments Post a Comment
Have you been tested for hepatitis c ? You could have it and not even know, it's a sneaky one--good luck
Hi, I am 27 and I have been having severe right sided abdominal pain for about 6 months now. When I have the attacks, I begin vomiting and have to take meds. I always have a dull pain in the area and stay really weak and short of breath. I been to the doctors and all they can tell me is that my liver enzymes are sky high. They thought it was my gallbladder so I had an upper gi, ultrasound, hida scan, cat scan and mri. Everything was normal. I could not believe it. They tell me something is wrong with my liver and that is why the blood work is so high. I was wondering if something else could cause my liver enzymes to go up. They also checked me for hepatitis and it came back normal. The Emergency room in town has seen me sooo much and sometimes a couple times a week that they are beginning to think I am faking I think. I can go weeks pain free and then it hits and I can't move, I can't breathe, I have to go to the ER for a shot to relieve the pain. It is agonizing. Now they have referred me to more specialist in the GI and liver department 3 hours away at a charity hospital. That is going to be very expensive doctor visits since I have to have alot of gas to go back and forth a few times a month. I am not looking forward to that. Please help. If you have had any of my symptoms and can give me some advice of what it could possibly be I would be soo grateful so I can ask the doctor when I go back to him.
      Sorry. I don't have any pain yet in my abdomen anywhere.  I haven't had to vommit.  For me, from everything I've read, it sounds like it's probably alcoholic hepatitis even though I don't even drink that much. Really weird. Do you drink? What are your Biliruben, AST and ALT levels? Maybe it's the same.  My ultrasound came back normal too.  I know it's important to eat healthy, and for me not drink at all, so I won't.  You might want to look into drinking alkaline water as well. It's something that I've done because I know people that have had significant health benefits, including one of my parents friends that has had Hep C for 30 years.  After drinking this water for 3 weeks, he just got his first normal PH level from his liver that he's had in years.  I can send you some info on it if you want. Just let me know. Email me at ***@**** and I can send you some info and testimonials.  Basically, all water (bottle and tap) is acidic. The alkaline water is the perfect PH balance of 9.5 which creates homeostasis in the body.  With a good ph balance, disease will not survive.  Anyways, good luck!
I am a 37 year old male, 5'7 175lbs athletic, but was a  heavy drinker for years up until a few months ago. I stopped drinking close to seven months ago but my liver enzymes are still elevated, my abdominal ultrasound came back normal. I just stopped all medications I was taking for my blood pressure (Toprol XL 100mg, Quinapril 20mg) I also stopped taking some herbal supplements I was taking for my heart including Hawthorne Berry extract. I am trying to reverse the negative health trends(high blood pressure, irregular heart beats, elevated lfts, gout attack)  from drinking by exercising and diet, I am sure all of my health problems are directly related to alcohol. Does anyone have any idea if my liver enzymes should return to normal, or if something else may be causing the enzymes to be elevated? I will go back to my GP for blood tests in six weeks after stopping blood pressure meds and herbal supplements to see if there is a psitive change.