Gastroenterology Community
Liver Function Blood Test ALT question

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Liver Function Blood Test ALT question

I had a routine liver blood test done for general health checking.  My ALT value was 55.  My doctor indicated that this value is a little high and to have it re-checked in 3 to 4 weeks.  The AST value is normal.  Also, I had a Kidney function blood test that came back normal.  I am the type of person that worries a lot.  Is it ok for me to wait 3 or 4 weeks to have it re-checked?  Does a level of 55 indicate a serious problem?  I take Paxil and Buspar and don't know if these meds might have something to do with the Level.  Paxil is an Anti-depressant and Buspar for Anxiety.  

I do have two beers a night.  Could alchol cause a increased value?  If alchol can do this, how long does it take to come back down if you stop or cut back drinking?  Is it right away or several days?  If you have a night out which you drink a lot, does the number go up quickly and then takes several days to drop down again?

Any help is apprecaited.

Lance
Hi Lance,

ALT and AST values are for liver function.  Normal function numbers for ALT is 5-60, so actually, your level is still within normal range.  If it is in fact high, it could be an indicator of liver damage.  I think as of right now, you are alright, but just to be safe, get your blood done again in a few weeks as indicated by your physician. Hope this helps.

Trista
Tristas,
Thank you for your comments.  Can you please advise if a few beers an evening can cause this number to raise?  How about going out on the weekend and having several beers?  Does the number stay elevated for a period of time and slowly come down if drinking is stopped?  
I am a social drinker but occasionally have a few more than I should on the weekend.
I also drink probably too much and worry about it myself. I recently have been having abdominal pain and cramping, etc.  I keep thinking it may be caused from the beer.  I do get blood tests yearly and everything so far has been ok.  But this is the first time I have felt like this and I guess it is scaring me.  I know I should cut down on the beer, but like you all our friends are social and my husband and I enjoy our drinks at night.  I have been having some back pain and lower pelvic pain.  I was told by my dr. I had a bacterial infection in my intestines so I am hoping that this is all it is.  But it has been several months, although my other dr. said sometimes it can take up to a year to go away.  Just wondering if I should go in for more tests, ie, blood, etc.