Gastroenterology Community
Liver test results ALT (70) & AST (38)

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Liver test results ALT (70) & AST (38)

Does anyone know what these results mean?  My doctor said the ALT was abnormal, asked if I drank, then said to stop drinking altogether.  While the ALT number is outside the normal range, I thought the ratio to AST was an important thing to consider also.  I'm a weekend drinker and on average have 10 drinks per week.  I'm sure cutting back can't hurt but I want to have a real understanding of the numbers.
Avatar n tn
First what are you levels ALT-AST. Has your doctor done blood work called GGT test. If not tell him u want that blood test. It will tell if you liver is damaged from drinking.  I have had about 6.000 thousand dollors of blood test done. My liver ALT is 196. AST is 169. Yes it is high. I had the GGT test done and my liver is not effected by drinking. I have stopped drinking for a month. And liver test keep going up. Looks like your doctor is going the easy way out. Have all the blood test done. Soluble liver Anitge test. Have him do all the liver test on the form. I drank all my life and my liver problem is not from drinking. Had liver biopsy done and i am now going to a infection desiese doctor. There other things that bring on your liver to abnormal. Go to webmd.com. This a good place to start. But don't and I mean don't try to dinoce your self leave it up to the doctors. And dont stop tell you get what your looking for.