Gastroenterology Community
Living in misery post op

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Living in misery post op

I underwent bariatric (BPD) surgery 2/5/11 in Mexico at a BCSE by a board certified bariatric surgeon, I have had every complication possible and have been left completely disabled to even leave my house due to how sick I am. I have been hospitalized most of this year and am still as sick as ever.  None of the surgeons in Northern Virginia are willing to accept me as a patient because "I am too complicated of a case".

In the meantime I lost my job due to my extended illness and my husband passed away which resulted in my losing my insurance.  I am literally dying and can not find anyone to help me.  I can't imagine my son losing two parents in one year.

I have every GI symptom you can have and just keep getting weaker.  Is there anyone out there that may have some helpful advice?
http://www.virginiahospitalcenter.com/Patients/Financial_Need.aspx?zoom_highlight=financial+assistance

Beth, the above link will take you to the Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington, they provide free care for patients who cannot afford to pay.  The link takes you directly to the section that describes their willingness to do this, but it is also discussed in other parts of the website.  In addition, if you need a surgeon, they will be able to refer you to specialists who would take your case pro bono, since that is the way this hospital is set up, too.  And I think there may be foundations set up to provide financial assistance to you on the basis of either your particular surgical complications (maybe a BPD site) or on the basis of in general being rendered unable to provide for yourself, you could maybe find some by doing a general search online from your home webpage.

I am so sorry your bariatric surgery has been so problematic, to say the least, but 40 percent of all patients who undergo this surgery have complications, so there are hospitals and health care givers who should be quite familiar with patients like you, so thru the linked hospital, hopefully you will indeed find docs who can resolve most, if not all, of your current health issues.  What really makes your situation so much worse is the loss of your husband.  I simply cannot imagine such a scenario in my life, although I have been in your ill-health position for a few years and having to stay home for long periods of time, so unhappy, thinking I would never get back to normal.  But I did.  A car accident and cancer brought me down, not unlike how your surgery brought you down, but it takes a lot to take out a human being, so if I made it, so too can you.

I would also like to suggest at some point, after you perhaps stay awhile at the hospital I've linked you to, that you get in touch with any free legal service in your area and ask them to make an application for you to get Social Security Disability, if you have enough work points, or to get Medicaid (they pay all health costs).  In addition, if your husband had enough work points, I think it's possible to receive survivor's benefits from Social Security, but your lawyer will know more about that.  And lastly, if you finally get well enough to where you would like to work again, you can go to your state's employment jobs security center and a counselor can work with you on obtaining a job that would fit your final wellness status.  GG