Gastroenterology Community
Long term hernia
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Long term hernia

I have had a hernia for about 2 years. I am desperately afraid to tell my doctor. I believe this fear is partially rooted in the time I was caring for my parents from 2007 to 2010. My father went in for hernia surgery and ended up passing away 3 months later after complications. He received some questionable medical care, unecessary meds & changed meds all of which (I believe) led to strokes and ultimately his death. After 2 months of care at a civilian hospital & various rehab facilities my father was transferred to a long term nursing facility at a VA hospital.

This particular VA hospital was, in my opinion, the best care he had received in the 3 months leading to his death. My Dad's VA doctor & physician's assistant were no less than awesome, but still this positive experience has not been able to supplant the fear I believe is associated with my dad's death after hernia surgery.

My hernia is a bulge in my lower left quadrant. If I lift things or have a bowel movement the bulging increases. There is occasionally an ache when this happens, but with a light push the bulge disappears back inside.

Recently (the past month) that has changed with the hernia appearing regularly with any prolonged standing or walking. It would still disappear, but for a shorter amount of time, when I pressed it back into my gut. Occasionally it would be rather hard.

When lying down the hernia disappears completely unless I have some gas.

Yesterday I experienced another change after I had massaged the area the night before. After appearing more regularly with standing, it seems to have almost disappeared and I must strain to get the bulge to happen and it doesn't stay any longer. I no longer need to push it back in very often.

This has made me more fearful, as I can't stop thinking that I may have a perforated bowel now because of the length of time I have gone on with the untreated hernia. I fear the perforation may be reducing the outward symptoms of the hernia. I have passed gas several times this morning but I had not had the courage to try to have a bowel movement.

I have no pain in the area. I am a 58 year old white male, 5'10" 195lb, reasonably fit considering I have stopped most of my exercising due to the progression of the hernia.

My blood pressure is 126 over 85, heart rate 58, temp 97.9 (the heart rate is a little low, normally near 70). Considering the anxiety I am feeling now I am surprised at my readings, but my blood pressure is usually 115 over 80. I feel chilled, but the house temp is about 66 degrees & I am lightly dressed. I also feel a slight nausea, but I think it is probably related to my anxiety. I am hungry, but won't eat. I had a normal supper last night, but right now have no urge to have a bowel movement.

I saw my primary care doctor about 8 months ago and let him know althat I have a medical problem that may require hospitalization, that I am afraid to go to the hospital, that I am afraid to tell him what is wrong and that if I am ever admitted to a hospital I felt I would die while in there.

He gave me a prescription for Atavan for anxiety. I haven't taken any and I haven't been back to the doctor's office since.

My mother passed away while I was caring for her through in home hospice. She was overweight & diabetic with bad knees. First somewhat ambulatory, she progressed to being bed bound, but was alert and aware until the last week of her life.

I have been in an elevated concern state about the hernia for over 2 years now, but have been able to carry on with my life and general household chores including cleaning gutters and cutting the grass.

It is now 6:15 AM on 02 Oct 2011 and I have had a restless night's sleep worrying about the possible consequences of my delay in getting medical care, and now worrying that I may have a perforated bowel. In spite of my anxiety over this, I am frightened to the point of my fingers trembling at the thought of going into the hospital.

I wanted to know what signs and symptoms I should be wary of if I do have a bowel perforation and what the timeline may be for these symptoms to appear and their progress toward life threatening indications.

I know I should be going to see my doctor or maybe even go to the emergency room right now, but I cannot bring myself to do it.

My girlfriend is an IV nurse & is frustrated with me over this issue. I understand her feelings. She says she understands my fears.

I desperately need advice on this situation, but what I want to know are the signs and symptoms that indicate when my fear of not going to the hospital should outweigh my fear of going to the hospital.

I have to tell you that I feel I am close to that point now, but I simply don't know if I will ever be able to override the fear of death I have of going to the hospital. I am afraid that it will take unbearable pain or loss of conciousness before I go. I also fear that may be too late.

I am paralyzed & desperate