GASTROENTEROLOGY
COMMUNITY
Loose Grainy Stool
by beachlover221, Nov 05, 2011
Well, this is a strange question, I am sure.  But I am very concerned about what may be going on here, considering Cohns disease and colon cancer.  My stool over the past couples of weeks has been like never seen before.  Upon flushing the toilet the feces acts like a bundle of sand in the ocean after a wave.  Very loose and grainy.  The color is dark, dark brown.  I have a mostly healthy diet with a day or two in the month where I eat junk, like popcorn and apple pie with ice cream

I recently started mixing Amazing Grass Superfoods and Wheat grass in my morning smoothies.  My smoothies include a helping of berries:  blue, black, and strawberries with banana and grape juice.  Not sure if the superfoods have causes this grainy stool, but I am concerned since it lasts for a couple of days.  I have opted to skip a few days between the smoothies to see if there is a difference in my stool and yes, today, that are somewhat (minor) more consistent and compacted.  HELP.  Should I be worried?  

Many thanks for your input :)
Member Comments (1)
by S. Kaul, MDBlank, Nov 06, 2011
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered are malabsorption, infections/ inflammations, inadequate fiber intake etc. With dark stools one may need to rule out GI bleeding as well, which could again have a number of secondary causes like infections/ inflammations, ulcers, erosions, growths/ masses etc. I would suggest switching to a healthy low fat diet with plenty of fruits and green leafy vegetables; and see if these help with the symptoms. If there is no improvement seen or the stools continue to be dark, you may consider an evaluation by a gastroenterologist for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!