Gastroenterology Community
Loose Stool and pain in lower abdomen

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Loose Stool and pain in lower abdomen

Please give me your thoughts.  For the last 8-10 years I have had on and off loose stool and diareha.  It always happend about 15 minutes after I eat.  For the last two months it has gotten worse.  My stool in a light brown color and comes out very loose and in several pieces.  It almost always floats.  For the last four days I have notice more gas and a soreness in my lower abdomen when I go to the bathroom.  The doctor took a stool sample and I got the results today.  Everything was normal.  No blood, parasites etc.  I am scheduled for colonoscopy onn 08-25-2010.  When I take immodium and have a solid movement it is usually somewhat flat.  The doc does not seem too worried.  He said it may be stress ( it sure is going on a long time for that) or IBS.  He gave me some dicyclomine for that today.  If I don't eat I have no problems no pain no nothing.  What do you all think?  Dound familiar to anyone? Any comments appreciated.
It sounds very much like IBS, and Dicylomine will help immensely with this.  With IBS your colon goes into spams, the Dicyclomine stops this from happening.  IBS also causes gas to become trapped in the abdomen causing varying degrees of pain. It could also be stress related, which can go on your entire life if not addressed. It sounds like your doctor is going in the right direction by ruling out othere causes before assuming it's anxiety.  If it is anxiety please address this, you'd be amazed at all the problems anxiety can cause.  I wish you all the best and hope this helps.  Take care...
Thanks.  Today is the second day I have been on Dicylomine and I have felt a little better.  I am sure alot of it is stress but I'm gonna go ahead with the colonoscopy just to be safe.